GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old November 22nd 2005, 15:01

So I just bought a 911 parts car...

Hi folks, pardon the noobiness of my post, but I am building what I would call a "vintage german look" Karmann Ghia ('66) and I am wondering what parts are usefule out of a 911 ('75 Targa). Of course the engine was pulled before I got it, but I have a complete IRS/Transaxle and all the brakes, which I plan to use. Has anyone seen the front suspension used in a Beetle or Ghia before? I am asking because achieving the look I want requires 4-6" of increased track both front and rear, and it might be just as easy to swap the entire front suspension as it would be to widen my ball joint beam. Plus, then I could use the rack and pinion instead of being stuck with a steering box.

What do I mean by "vintage german look"? Basically I am aiming for the late 50's spyder (you know the one...silver, james dean, blah blah blah). I have swapped my Ghia headlights to early beetle, I am tucking the bumpers super close to the body and stripping a bunch of crap off of them, and pushing the narrow wheels way out flush with the fenders before opening up the wheel openings to match the tire radius.

Anyway, let me know what you folks think I would be able to use off the Porsche, because my plan is to strip off everything that will be useful and sell off the rest so that it isn't sitting in my garage indefinitely.

Thanks in advance!