GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old August 1st 2003, 03:18

Most Expensive Glove Box Ever .... Thank You Joe

Well as some of you may remember I am big into neons and electrical doo dads and gadgets. *AS SEEN IN PREVIOUS PICTURES ABOVE*. Well for a while I had switches mounted under my dash that looked real bad. I had wires exposed all over and drunnign this way and that. I also had some switches literally laying on the end of wires in my glovebox. Then I had wires running from trunk to rear of the car for the stereo. All the wires ran right through the cab ina wire loom. *I didnt know where to put them*. So I finally got sick of the horrible look it had. Also because of so much wire being run it was hard to identify problems when they came along and also if I needed to remove or add something it didnt work out. So I finall sat done one night and tried to figure out a whole whole wiring setup, switch setup and a whole way to conceal it all. Yet this bein me it had to be unlike all others out there. First to figure out was switches. I wanted them to be reliable switches as I have gone through so many cheapies. Then a way to tuck it all away and run as little as wire as possible. I finally had an idea but would need help. I had contacted carbon Joe as he had done great work from what I had seen online. I knew I wanted a touch of CF in my car so this was my first addition. We chatted for hours that night about what I wanted and he asked to sketch it out and he would give me some options on way to do it. So a weelk later he recieved a fax of what I wanted and after a few weeks of tweeking the idea here and there and of course finding the right glove box to modify I had it in my hands. It was now my turn to do the wiring, lighting and of course switches. After completion there it was time to tear down the car. I pulled the seats, airbox, glove box, wire cover, system, lights and anything else that go tin my way. I measured 63 feet of wire coming out and back in only went 8 feet of wire. Now when the lights are off there is no visible sign of any of the aftermarket lighting on the car. Except for the stereo, XM and Tv there are no signs of aftermarket abundance of switches on the inside when glovebox is closed of course. Before I get to the pictures which I am sur eyou want to see ... I want to pay a special THANX TO CARBON JOE.. The box came out EXACTLY how I planned and pictured it. Everything fit perfectly with out any modification to it. The quality and craftmenship is superb and deffintely worththe price. It also ended with what I was going for. A one of a kind setup. I am extremely pleased with this setup.

OK OK ..onto the pics.

This is the before pic ..... Boooooooooring
Old August 1st 2003, 03:20

Detail of the immaculate wiring ...

More detail of the immaculate wiring ...
Old August 1st 2003, 03:21

Pic of switches installed... w/ purple LED power inicators

Pic of switches installed... w/ purple LED power inicators
Old August 1st 2003, 03:22

Night shot of lit glove compartment...neon overglow, lighted LED indicators, illuminated cigarette lighters

Another night shot...

random shot ...

Hope you enjopyed and again thanx to Joe.....

Kevin
Old August 1st 2003, 06:55

Bling Bling Baby
I like that

Have you considered getting a dice gearknob (perspex) and fitting an LED or two in the bottom of it? Lil bro did that on his Mini years ago and it looked cool

Cya,

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old August 1st 2003, 11:57

That actually was on my car when I got it. I took it off and put anoher one on for a while and it just stripped on me and wouldnt stay on. I threw that on until my short shifter comes. I ordered the Dragfast and that will be here soon enough.

Kevin
Old August 1st 2003, 17:07

very nice

'those blue crimps are for 2.5mm^2 wire, other than that immaculate like you said

Barrier strip rocks!

What do you use the 2 lighter sockets for, if ya don't mind me asking?

Matt
Old August 1st 2003, 17:11

Looks great !!!!!!!!! what switch is for the landing gear ? you should make headlights same as neons and lose the top blinkers just my opinion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:silly:

Last edited by bc1303s; August 2nd 2003 at 01:27.
Old August 2nd 2003, 00:19

Quote:
What do you use the 2 lighter sockets for, if ya don't mind me asking?
Well I am covering the one that was on the dash. This is a daily driver for work and even our vacations. So when the girl is around we need them to charge both our cell phones. I am having a billet mount for my PDA made. I am going to use the PDA in the car for GPS and also to hook into the stereo to play MP3s. SO I need a power outlet for that to.

Thanx for the compliments.

Kevin
Old November 1st 2003, 12:45

Kick Butt switches man!!

I too am attempting a switch box somewhere in my bug. To bad I didnt think of this first!! Props to you man!!

Clint

Hopefully Soon!!
Back home in Port Orchard, and saving for the Bug
Old November 2nd 2003, 18:34

where did you put your hood release?

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback