GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 30th 2005, 01:38

Removing my struts....... I'm stuck

I spent today dismantling the steering and suspension on my 72' super. We were trying to install adjustable struts, which are all assembled, ready to throw in. I had everything done properly, and the strut hanging there, and I was unable to get the strut out of the steering knuckle as it's rusted in there so badly.

I ended up removing the entire strut assembly and steering knuckle, with drum attached, from the car, and gave it my all to get it out. I've been told that it's hard to remove, but I never imagined it being this tough.

Is it in there for good? We had it in a vice, reefed on it with a hammer, heated it in an attempt to expand it, pounded some more, and still no give. The only other options thing I think I can do is put it in a press, and push the thing out (which wasn't available at the place we were at today). Or else, buy a new parts, then tear down and re-build my breaks on the new struts.

Has anyone else had this hard of a time getting the things out? Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to rip things apart again unless it's going to work for sure. I'm already needing an alignment
Old May 30th 2005, 19:36

Ours was a bear to get out on the pass side. We tried a bunch of different stuff to get it off ... no go. Then we were talking with one of the guys from the VW dealership and they said "oh we can do that for $25 no problem we have a tool for that. When we went back the next day they said there was much cursing and grunting to get it off, so we got a heck of a deal for our $25 . They never said what they had to do to finally get it off.
Old May 30th 2005, 21:34

Hi

If your not going to use your old struts just cut them off close to the knuckle, bore a hole up the middle and then make a cut with a hacksaw to relieve the grip.

When you put your new ones together coat them with Never Sieze or moly.

Steve
Old June 1st 2005, 00:51

I used a pneumatic hammer.
Old June 1st 2005, 21:20

i used a big *** sledge hammer.. but i didnt hit it with it.. what i did was take the whole strut and bang it against the hammer on the ground.. eventualy they spindle started to come off and i was able to use a combination of prying and banging it against the ground to get it off.
Old June 7th 2005, 02:32

Tricky...

well, I think I'm going to try a hydraulic press first, and if that fails, it seems as if I've found an aircooled mechanic who "has a tool and methods to get it out". He makes it sound like a big secret, I'll give an update on what all happens sooner or later.

Thanks alot. :agree:
Old June 8th 2005, 01:35

Well, here's an update for you...
Finished everything up, the car's lowered, everythings done, right?

wrong... I drove around fine at first, theres a good gap in between the tire and the fender, its not ridiculously low. Now, it seems as if the passenger's side strut isn't "popping" back up into place, especially if I have added weight and a passenger. When I drive with a passenger, the right side seems to be weighted down too much and before long the tires rub like crazy.

When parked, I can actually squeeze two fingers in the gap above the wheel, then push down hard on the fender, put my finger back in, and I can only fit one. I can then pull the fender back up and put two fingers back in

Is it the shock on the inside that's not expanding? is it shot? I mean, the strut assembly has been sitting for a little while, could it just take a bit of driving to free things up and break back in?

I cand rive alone fine, and have an alignment booked tommorow, not sure what's going to happen....
Old June 8th 2005, 01:45

did you replace the strut inserts?

if so did you cycle the inserts to get the bubbles out?

before you put new strut inserts in you need to cycle the strut insert up and down a few times to work out any air bubbles. From this point keep it vertical so the bubbles don't work their way back down.
Old June 8th 2005, 10:45

They were used inserts, would I still need to "cycle" them if they were previously used?