GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 12th 2007, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
The top mount version would provide safety if the mount failed, but would seem to make removing the tranny quite a bit more difficult, as well, when the tranny is loaded during acceleration, the top mount will be in expansion, not compression, and this force is going to be working every time you accelerate.

As well, as I recall, those mounts have a bolt running through them, not just into the rubber, so the safety is there regardless? Might want to look at more modern motor and tranny mounts, if your fabbing up might as well make use of something with a better design?

My 2 cents...

Jason
Well, that much I allready have studied that the upper version is easier installed. To install the transmission with the lower version you always have to remove the mount from the transmission before you can pull it out. (on a splitty as the splittys have the crossmember on the framehorns.)

With the upper version you just loosen the rubbermounts and pull the whole thing.

An other aspect would be that when you "motor brake" or how you say it the upper version will just compress the rubbermount where as the lower mount will expand the mount. Same thing also with no power on the drivetrain the weight of the engine and transmission will tend to expand the rubbermount.

I'm now trying to find a original 911 mount including the rubbermounts as those work differently, not just two plates with molded rubber in the middle.

If I use these I think I can make the lower type (original 911 style) with no problems...