GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 23rd 2004, 10:52

Fuching Mount

Hey Guys, Good News. I jsut bought some Porsche Fuchs for the Super!!! Ive been contemplating, what the easiest way to go about fittingt hem would be. I have seen the disc brake kits, and want those, but at the moment I dont have the funds, those will be here by the winter How much does it cost to have drums re-drilled? Would it be easier to get new non-drilled drums and have them drilled and tapped? I want to mount these cause they will be really cool looking and stuff. Thanks
Old August 23rd 2004, 18:30

depends who you go to on how much they are going to charge. around $40-$60 probably. blanks plus drilling will obviously be a lot more. cost of parts plus the same for drilling. if you have to do something before you can go discs (which i highly recommend), then just do the redrill and save the cash for the discs.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old August 23rd 2004, 21:05

Re-drill my currant drums? Ok would it be possible for them to put studs in? and where should I take them, the VW shop, or a machine shop?
Old August 23rd 2004, 21:34

machine shop. pressed studs would be good. they just need to spot face the area around the hole for the stud to sit flat on. i got studs from NAPA last time. good assortment.

Old August 24th 2004, 00:55

I recently saw in one of the US magazines drums for sale aleady drilled with the Porsche 5 lug pattern at about $60 ea, now if I could only remember where I saw it...but remember if you spend $120 on two rear dums that is 30% of the cost of a rear disc brake kit and the front are less...
Old August 25th 2004, 02:41

cip1 has them for 69.95
Old August 26th 2004, 20:42

Well i contacted a machine Shop and they quated me for redrilling my drums for 25-35.00 each. Is that a good deal?
Old August 26th 2004, 21:12

sounds about right. balance that cost against new drums in that pattern and the discs you eventually want. these are the fun types of judgement calls.

CIP1 has 10% off everything for the next 5 days. you may want to consider whether or not you should just pick up new ones. just depends what kind of condition yours are in. i would just save for the discs personally. waiting to put the Fuch's on can be good modivation to save.

Old September 2nd 2004, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
sounds about right. balance that cost against new drums in that pattern and the discs you eventually want. these are the fun types of judgement calls.

CIP1 has 10% off everything for the next 5 days. you may want to consider whether or not you should just pick up new ones. just depends what kind of condition yours are in. i would just save for the discs personally. waiting to put the Fuch's on can be good modivation to save.
What about the safety hazzard of drilling in the non-strengthenend part of the drum? Should 'we' advise this on this forum?
In Europe, all drums have a thick rib in a cross-pattern where the 4 threads for the bolts have been tapped into. Drilling for 5 studs will cause the use of the thin part of the drum. Then you have only 2 threads or so for your bolt to screw into
Studs mounting would use the same thin place in the drum. I can't imagine this to be a safe option either.
5 Studs or bolts in a drum requires a special equally thick(er) blank drum IMO, like Zen mentioned in his first post.

Last edited by Wally; September 2nd 2004 at 09:08.
Old September 2nd 2004, 15:31

yea, i don't like the idea of redrills either and usually warn against it. there are many people that have done it though and run on it safely for years. the ones i had (and never ran on before switching to discs) were CSP blanks that i had them drill. good quality but the money is better spent towards discs in my opinion.

Old September 2nd 2004, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
yea, i don't like the idea of redrills either and usually warn against it. there are many people that have done it though and run on it safely for years. ........but the money is better spent towards discs in my opinion.
It goes well in 'normal' situations. Its only the extreme situations that may kill you..
Thats also why most parts in a VW or any car are overdesigned probably.
Yes, better spend on discs. Just installed the 944 rear brakes on my square: they complement the stock 42mm front cups very well Quite cheap also

Greets,
Walter