GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 18th 2003, 21:36

Front coilovers, 944 based..

Sorry to bring this up again... I had brought up the issue of using 87 944S struts and modifying them to be used on my 78 Vert.. I have been searching for a semi-direct drop in conversion so that I can use my 87 944 spindles.. I attempted to contact LAP but with no success.. My guess it is going to be pricy...
So I searched the Web and came upon a site from Ground Control.. They make conversions for stock to racing.. they seem to advertise a coilover conversion for using 944 struts as a base..
Assuming it can be done.. I figured I can use my stock strut body.. Probably have to cut the lower spring perch and use the ground control adjustable lower perch.. Request a different spring rate spring... and use their top spring perch..
After this point I have not figured it out..
Has anyone thought of this as a possible safe option.. (most likely have to have the lower perch welded for safety..) with a price of about 200-300 bucks seems way cheeper than 1000 for adj coilovers..
If anyone has any suggestions, please help.. Is there any way of using Top line parts for such a conversion... I am desperate, but don't unlimited funds..

Thanks ALex
Old April 18th 2003, 21:48

Follow-on question..
Just came from basement looking at the 944 struts.. The Ground Control kit includes the lower perch, spring, and top spring perch?.. Not sure if that is what it is called..
Couple of threads ago.. (Can't remember who) talked about using the top strut mount..(agian unsure of the name) but it is the top most thing that mounts the strut to the body.. Haven't had a chance to measure the diameter of the porsche rod diameter.. If it is the same can I just swap the 1303 upper strut mount? something about a bearing issue..

Can anyone advise..
ALex
Old April 18th 2003, 22:59

I have my front swap completed as well as the rear. for the front you can use the 944 spindle, strut, spring hat (top spring perch), and beetle springs and strut bearings. i've noticed it lowers the front about 1"-2"

one thing you will have to do is get the flip it bushing kit from topline or bugpack, and get the spindles machined. you will have to drill out the holes that the tie rod ends go through on the spindle to 5/8" then press in the adapter bushings from the top. this mount the tie rod end on the top instead of the bottom. if you try to leave it on the bottom, it will hit the front swaybar. it was $14 to the holes drilled out and $15 for the bushings.
Old April 19th 2003, 00:40
Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Humble
for the front you can use the 944 spindle, strut, spring hat (top spring perch), and beetle springs and strut bearings.
The 944 spring is 5mm larger than the Beetle spring, consequently the Beetle spring doesn't fully seat into the 944 strut.

LOAF, read up on my Ground Control conversion I did for the Turbo spindles as it's the same. Also, and I hate to say this after I know you made that long trip to get them, but the best thing to do whould be get some 83-86 spindles and hubs. Note that the 86 doesn't have the speedo cable hole but the 83-85 does.
Old April 19th 2003, 20:39

Not trying to kill a dead horse

Superman.. What if I was able to find lowered/shorter springs with the right spring rate.. What other issues will arise.. Am I one step closer...

With so many aftermarket spring manufactures there has to be someone like Eibach that has such a spring available.. If I can find it.. What do I need to tackle with the strut mount..

I figured with these springs, spacers will become an issue.. Also the famous speedo cable assembly.. Still haven't looked into that yet.. Any insight..
ALex
Old April 19th 2003, 22:57
Superman

Sorry to mislead, my comments about not using the VW spring on the 944 strut was for stock parts.

If you do decide on the Ground Control kit ask for a 80# Eibach spring. This is the lowest rate offered for the 2.5" coil-over kit. It will be a little firm, for reference the MaXX strut uses a 78# spring.

Speedo cable hole can be drilled at a machine shop but I still urge you to get the 83-85 spindles that have the correct bolt pattern and a speedo hole. Note, the 86 spindle does have the correct bolt pattern but no speedo hole.
Old April 20th 2003, 15:12

Superman... Taking your advice... Looking in getting the early spindles and hubs.. I assume I can swap calipers.. I already purchased the rebuild kits to get them up to par..
As far as the conversion..
Once I have new spindles and hubs.. Plan on replacing bearings and stuff.. Working on a list for Topline...Maxxstruts.. Swaybar.. bushings....caster and camber.. flip kit.. Can you think of anything else...
Still haven't ordered the kercher 17mm Ball Joints what's a good source.. or should I just get them direct from Germany..
Do you know a good source for brake rotors as I am going to need a new set... as well as pads.. (Looking at a company EBC for pads... ) they are reputable amongst the Jap Community..
Anything you can think of, appreciate it..
Also with Design 90 (16*6) et55ish do I need a spacer?
Sorry for all the questions..
ALex
Old April 20th 2003, 23:44
Superman

Yes your calipers will fit the early hubs/discs.
Seems you have the Topline list covered but maybe new idler and pitman arm bushings also (not knowing the present condition).
Kerscher is the best source, order them direct.
Try Tweeks, Performance Products, or Pelican Parts for the discs and pads (all are online).
With all your planed mods the Design 90 will fit without spacers.
Old April 21st 2003, 08:25

Superman.. thanks forgot about stearing..Sloppy stearing not an option..
Appreciate the help.. Now will work on getting the parts.. as well as putting the stuff I a have up F/S..
Thanks again
Alex
Old April 24th 2003, 04:17

Alex,
If you don't want to swap spindels or can't find them, a cheap solution to overcome the lack of the speedo cable hole, is to use an electronic tachometer. I used one that is sold for bikes (!). Its about $ 30-50 depending on options. The display I duck-taped to the underside of the 911 rev counter, so its in my direct sight.
The magnet pick-up is mounted to the rotor and spindle, which is a very easy job. You measure the size of the wheel around (what is that in english?) and your speed accuracy is now in 1/10th of a mile! And have max speed remembering, avarge speed, distance counter etc.
I didn't like drilling the spindle...
Just an alternative I thougth I mention to you.
Walter
Old April 24th 2003, 09:11

Wally I actually had you in mind.. I remember you mentioning something about a speedo from a bike..
I actually got fustrated from not hearing back from one of the UK vendors so I started searching around.. Ended up finding spindles, hubs and speedo cable for 100 bucks.. Figured I can transfere the calipers off my set up and go with a more commercially available strut like topline.. Less hassle...
Now I have to order the ball joints and make a large order to Top line..
Thanks
Alex
Old June 3rd 2003, 14:44

Did any of you find your tie rods to be to short? When I did my conversion on my 1302 I used 1303 struts (modified into coil overs), 1303 control arms, and late 924s spindles. along with the original 1302 steering parts. I had to lengthen my tie rods about an inch on each side. I belive the spindles are the same as the early 944. Well I have it all working, but I was wondering if anyone has run into this in their conversions.
Russ1302