GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old February 24th 2006, 11:16

Was ist dies VolkSport Käfer Gruppe?

Yesterday was an unusual day for me in many respects but it ended in a most unique way that maybe has happened to someone else here.

After playing doubles (tennis) last night, I was changing into dry clothes which included my VKG t-shirt -- the one with the large-sized emblem on the back. After talking with a former student of mine who I had not seen in at least 15 years, I hear some German being spoken behind me.

It is not uncommon for me to hear different languages between all of the ethnic neighborhoods of Baltimore city, the many people who move to its surrounding suburbs, and working in Washington. I rarely understand any of it as my high school Spanish is in my distant past, my college French lasted one semester and I was resistant to learning my mother's native language, German.

But I listen anyway to see if I can identify the language. I'm very happy with myself when I can identify the language when its not one of those three.

As I was listening to see if there was anything I could semi-translate, I heard "VolkSport Käfer Gruppe" as part of a question and realized I was not eavesdropping; I was being addressed.

I then got into a long conversation -- in English when I admitted I could not speak my mother's tongue -- about Germany, Volkswagens, family heritages, etc.

Has anyone else been approached because of their t-shirt?
Old February 25th 2006, 21:45
Administrator

Not yet about the t shirt. But A bought a German National haockey team jersey with the iron bird on the front and have had folks ask about it.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe