GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old June 14th 2007, 22:23

help please

my first but and i have some questions. can somebody please help me?
I'm working on a 68 bug (stock right now), i just installed a full flow oil pump cover the old stop muffler pre-heater pipe is in the way of the oil filter, should i have the pre-heater pipe re-routed to make room for the filter or replace the stock exaust with a header without the pipe ( i was thanking of the merged exaust or the Tri-mill),will it be ok without the preheaters? and if so what kind of header will still work with my heater boxes. and if i do replace them what do i do about the open preheater pipes.

sorry to ask so much but there is nobody around who knows about vw's to help me with this and i'm not a very mechanical person.

Thank you for any help
Old June 14th 2007, 23:47

does the wku in your name stand for the hilltoppers? i go there but i don't know as much as i should about your question, but i can tell you that tons of aftermarket exhausts work with your heater boxes, so that's no problem.

if you are in fact in bg i can tell you what i know of the veedub community here.

1979 'vert w/944 NA brakes + Boxster S wheels and begging for a paint job and a Subie swap
Old June 15th 2007, 11:42

The aftermarket headers (made for heater boxes) have the mounting for preheaters, but you have to drill a hole through the center of them. They come welded closed for people running FI, or Carbs that don't have a preheat set-up. The header would be easier than messing with relocating factory tube, and possibly causing a exhuast leak.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old June 15th 2007, 14:58

yes i'm in bg, i didn't know there was any kind of vw community. I would like to hear more about it. Do you own the red convertable over near Doughnut King? I pass by it everyday

I was going to have an exaust shop move the preheater tube for me, but another tech forum i ask said that i should get an attachment that screws on where the filter should go and run hoses to a remote filter, they said it would help keep the oil from overheating, i'm going to try to find the part on a us website (it was a uk vw forum).

Thanks
Old June 15th 2007, 15:38

yep, that's me. it's a work in very slow progress. stop by sometime if you want, especially if you see me out there messing with it. there's a small vw community here, and plum springs garage works on them. it apparently used to be exclusively vw but now they work on jags and bimmers a lot, so their prices probably reflect that. they seem like cool people though.

there's a vw show in shepherdsville tomorrow, although i can't go. i don't know where it's being held, but i know some local guys are going.

1979 'vert w/944 NA brakes + Boxster S wheels and begging for a paint job and a Subie swap
Old June 15th 2007, 16:09

what time is the show i had no idea.

what is the name of that garage i'll call and ask them about this pump
Old June 15th 2007, 16:37

here's the link to the show info: http://207.58.142.82/vw/shows/index.php#3478

and the garage is just called plum springs garage. it's out plum springs road, which took me forever to find 'cause i'm not from here. i found this number on the first thing i searched: 842.1550

Old June 15th 2007, 16:52

thanks alot i'll try to go
Old June 16th 2007, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkubug View Post
I was going to have an exaust shop move the preheater tube for me, but another tech forum i ask said that i should get an attachment that screws on where the filter should go and run hoses to a remote filter, they said it would help keep the oil from overheating, i'm going to try to find the part on a us website (it was a uk vw forum).

Thanks
The adapter is called a "spin-on oil filter bypass adapter". Most auto parts stores should have them (about $16 bucks). You will also need a remote oil filter bracket for the oil filters new location. Of course the best way is to drill and tap the case for full flow, plug the outlet side of oil pump, and get a full flow pump cover, but is not fun (or wise) with engine together. And use a good quality hose for oil lines. Don't let the lines get to close to the header (for obvious reasons)

Places on line to look are;
www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG