GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 10th 2003, 06:44

measurement

Sprintstar have you forgotten me?
Could you Yetibone do me the favour I asked before if Sprintster has gone abroad or something?
Justin
Old January 10th 2003, 23:49

Well... Ours is actually a 1302. It's a late '71 Super Beetle that I've fitted with 1303 control arms so as I could use Porsche 944 spindles. I'll be at the shop tomorrow (work:hurl: ) and will measure the ones on Hummbug. I hope there is no difference in the size of 1302, and 1303 strut crowns.

I'm using stock crowns right now. In fact everything from the top of the spring on up to the locknut is stock on ours. Hope I can fix this somehow with parts available in the United States.

Yetibone
Old January 11th 2003, 00:18

My setup is also from a 1302, so I don`t need dimensions of a strut crown.
It`s the hole where the crown locates in body/chassis that I`m interested.
I need the diameter of it, nothing else.
I came up another idea for you;
You can easily improve the camber effect with original strut crowns by replacing the roller bearing with a spherical one.
This way the rubber wont restrict when tilting the strut for negative camber adjustment.
You just need a spherical bearing with the outer diameter being 42mm and the inner 20mm. Then make a steel pivot bush for the dampers shaft with 14mm hole.
And make sure it`s good quality bearing, preferably not with a bronze lining.
Justin
Old January 11th 2003, 20:25

Justin,
Measured Hummbug's openings in the top of the strut towers.
I measured 86mm diameter perfect circle.
BTW, that is a good idea with the single ball bearing in the strut crowns. I was assuming that the bearing is sort of like a heim-joint type of thing, or designed like the end of a heim-joint (correct me if I'm wrong) That would keep some stress off the rubber parts. Thanks for the idea!

Y-bone

Last edited by yetibone; January 11th 2003 at 20:31.
Old January 12th 2003, 00:02

Thanks

The original strut-crown has a typical roller ballbearing inside, which doesnt allow that much of misalignment. Its designed that the rubber not only insulates the noise from the suspension but allows minor misalignment.
I thank you many times Yetiman for that favour, I owe you one.
Justin
Old February 9th 2003, 22:31

>>I asked before if Sprintster has gone abroad or something?

Sorry Juse! Just got back!

The hole for the strut mount is 86mm on the '02/'03. I believe the late '03 has a bigger hole as the late cups I bought would not fit my early '03. The mounting points are the same, but the whole thing won't fit in as it's too big, leading me to think the '02 hole is smaller...

I've got a friend with a late '03. Will get him to measure his.

Sprint.
Old February 10th 2003, 16:00

Thanks Sprintstar, but I got the measure from Yetibone allready.
I tought back there that something happened to you when you kinda disappeared. Happy to hear youre back in business.
Justin
Old February 10th 2003, 22:01

Quote:
Originally posted by juse
Thanks Sprintstar, but I got the measure from Yetibone allready.
I tought back there that something happened to you when you kinda disappeared. Happy to hear youre back in business.
Justin
Hehe... I'm back! And over the weekend, I did something MAJOR to Horace, my German Looker!

If you've got a decent Internet connection, I could send ya some pics and movies. Yea... I think this conversion rocks! But I ain't telling the WHOLE world just yet. I owe it to ya for disappearing like that.
Old February 12th 2003, 03:12

I`m curious to see what you are doing with your Horace, but I`m afraid that the this computer that I use at work doesent support much high quality video.
Did you solve your camber-problem? Because my homemade camberplates are soon ready, and if I get some pictures of them to this forum you might get jealous...they look really great.
Justin
Old February 16th 2003, 18:02

Sorry to jump in here guys, but, I am trying to see what kind of interest there would be in fabricated tca's for 02/03s.
I fitted 944 stuff to a late 03 cab, using a machined spacer to make up ther deficit between VW and Porsche ball joint sizes.
It was a customers car with a 1776.He drove it real hard.

He called me months later to say something had failed on the front end as he was backing out of a parking space.
The spacer/nut and bolt had failed.

I looked at it and thought I would get rid of the whole lot and build my own arms that would accept the Porsche ball joint.
In the end ,I modded his tca's.Worked a treat.
The ultimate for me, on an '03/02, would be a heim type top mount with eccentric adjustment built in, struts converted to 2.5" coils,Rose jointed tca's with a front link that replaced the anti roll bar. A drop link from the arm could then be linked to a fabbed roll bar mount.
I want to do this to an '03 for circuit/engine testing duty.
Once I have done my own Ghia drag car, I will spend some more time on it and in more depth.
Would this be of interest to other Super owners?

Cheers,Ross.
Old February 16th 2003, 18:43

Bottom balljoints

Ross,
You can now buy bottom balljoints from Kerscher which fit the control arms and the Porsche spindles.
MG

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...
Old February 16th 2003, 22:06

Quote:
I`m curious to see what you are doing with your Horace, but I`m afraid that the this computer that I use at work doesent support much high quality video.
Did you solve your camber-problem? Because my homemade camberplates are soon ready, and if I get some pictures of them to this forum you might get jealous...they look really great.
Justin
You can download it the clips from home at your leisure... :-)

And do send me some pics of your camber plates! Can they do caster adjustment too? That would be killer!!!!

Sprint.
Old February 17th 2003, 01:20

To Ross Morrison;
I also planned on fabricating my own control arms, mainly because I`m not really satisfied with the original setup. I think that a control arm would be much firmer with a radius rod, and after adding one you could use the sway-bar only for its original purpose.
But when I represented this idea to the MOT engineers, they rejected it straight away...well thats the way here in Finland.
But here is one link for those who are not bounded with strict laws;http://members.telering.at/robert.nachbauer/index2.htm
Look in technik: fahrwerk. Another good example is found on Germanlook.com: feature articles, Japanese racer.
And here is for Sprinstar;
My plates have only adjustment for camber, because I found it easier to adjust caster from the sway-bar frame mounting points. And I think there might not be room enough in the body fixing holes for strut upper mounts.
Justin
Old February 17th 2003, 02:09

Quote:
To Ross Morrison;
I also planned on fabricating my own control arms, mainly because I`m not really satisfied with the original setup. I think that a control arm would be much firmer with a radius rod, and after adding one you could use the sway-bar only for its original purpose.
But when I represented this idea to the MOT engineers, they rejected it straight away...well thats the way here in Finland.
But here is one link for those who are not bounded with strict laws;http://members.telering.at/robert.nachbauer/index2.htm
Look in technik: fahrwerk. Another good example is found on Germanlook.com: feature articles, Japanese racer.
And here is for Sprinstar;
My plates have only adjustment for camber, because I found it easier to adjust caster from the sway-bar frame mounting points. And I think there might not be room enough in the body fixing holes for strut upper mounts.
Justin
Show me, show me!!! :-)
Old February 17th 2003, 05:22

Sorry Sprintstar, I dont have those pictures yet, I dont even own a digital camera..
But these look quite similar to mine, and fit to Porsche 944: http://www.lindseyracing.com/
look for 944 store/suspension: Weltmeister camber plates.
(ahem...how do you add an image to a post?)
Those pages of Lindsey Racing also show some interesting pics of their 944 racer-project.
Justin