GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old December 6th 2002, 10:15

Turn signal indicators

Hi:
I'm considering shaving the bullet turn signal indicators off of the front fenders of my 57. I was thinking of putting some small oval indicators in my metel bumper blades. Has anyone done this or have a picture of one. I guess I could go with glass or carbon bumpers, as the cutting would be easier, but I like my SS ones.
Thanks
Old December 6th 2002, 12:57

I like the idea. You are correct, cutting stainless is not much fun, but with some care and planning it should look cool. What lenses do you plan to use?
ken
Old December 6th 2002, 18:00

Hi if you go to my site http://home.att.net/~nextgen and then to INTRODUCTION page, you will see my sliced bumpers. That is another story but I did use Rabbit signals in it. Now the car is being restored again and I went to larger fenders. ON the front I went early fenders to accept early head lights. What I did was use the driving lights for my signals. I just used amber bulbs and it looks great because the whole housing lights amber. For my driving lights I went to www. radlites.com and used an high power LED that I made a bracket for that just puts it on top of the amber signal. Again when it is on the assembly has a weird glow. Nice compact and nothing on the fenders.
Joe Cali

BTY I now have sliced new chrome bumpers.
Old December 6th 2002, 18:33

Ken. I was actually planning to use the side markers and front turn signals (or something similar but smaller) from a new Beetle. I've seen similar turn indicators on different aftermarket sites. Or the Audi tt side markers could be used. I do want them to be relatively small. I'm also thinking of using the Audi fuel cap as well. Gonna require modifying the gas tank, but I like the idea of fueling up without having to open the hood.

Joe. I couldn't make out the front bumper on your car (introduction page). Cool thin blades though. I plan on using the stock looking (size) SS blades (from CSP). Shouldn't be too difficult to cut a 2"x4" slot in them. Could you post some pics (or email em to me) of your new set up. Thanks
Old December 7th 2002, 00:17

http://www.memoimports.com/new_page_4.htm

Go to the site above for my rear tail lights. They are the bright red ones with the white back up light square in the group of several shown horizontal.

My chrome sliced bumpers won't be on for a while, I am getting ready to paint my car.
Joe