GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old January 14th 2003, 02:17

Seats

While looking around at a local pick a part for some seats cheap I saw some interesting things. I was hoping to find some nice sporty looking seats cheap which while sporty would be OK in a daily driver. (er comfortable for long periods of driving). I have looked at alot of aftermarket seats and while purpose built for performance they don't look all that comfortable. I feel if you run a 1 hr road race the seat will make alot of difference if it is comfortable.
While looking at the high end cars, the ones the manufactures love, the choices declined. The honda Preludes have very nice seats, the VW sirrocco, and the BMW type threes. All are old and fairly available at a junk yard. I was looking primarily for side bolster and back bolster seats which would hold you good in a turn. Interesting enough the VW seats appear to have the same mounting system as the late bugs with the pan hump in the front. The latch is on the seat instead of on the tunnel like a bug. They strongly look like they will fit easily. Apparently the GTI and sirrocco had the nicest sport seats.
I went with a set from a BMW type 3 series? They have flat mounts which make them easy to modify, they are narrow enough for a bug and they have 6 levers of which I am not sure what all the levers do. They grab your butt better than flushing at 30,000 feet in an airplane. They are fairly heavy, but they feel so good.

Does any one know where I can get a set of seat covers for them?
Old January 14th 2003, 20:10

You might be able to ask someone on the Pelican Parts BMW forums. What year are they out of? Good Luck.

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old January 16th 2003, 02:16

Something is the 1980s around 86 I think. There were four BMWs around the same year and the same model, but this was the only one with seats like these. some one told me they were Recaro who ever that is.