GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old May 2nd 2004, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfyoozed
i have no problem with them .... except they tend to lean more to the porsche side of things.. ..
i don't think they lean towards Porsche too much. there was a concious (SP?) effort to make them neutral upgrades. certainly there are a few since they are a natural upgrade path, but i think they are pretty limited and we did include the "other" term in most categories as a catch all. let us know if you see anything in that area that needs to be addressed.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old May 2nd 2004, 21:56

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
Me? .....
Yeees, your (name) kung fu is much more powerful than mine...
Although, boygenius is on the right track with his suggestions. I can't speak a word of it, but I like to see it incorporated in our "club speak".
VKG Bastage child
Old May 2nd 2004, 23:02
Administrator

I do not speak German, I only know enough German to order a beer (a few dif. kinds), maybe some food and some juice. But I dig the hell out of German beers, cars and food. I would also love another vacation there too.
I can give it a crack. I will see what I can think of.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 2nd 2004, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic
Although, boygenius is on the right track with his suggestions. I can't speak a word of it, but I like to see it incorporated in our "club speak".

Neither can I really even though I took 2 years of german in high school. The most I can do is figure out what the german websites are saying if there is no english selection.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old May 3rd 2004, 14:00

Zen, the rules look good to me.

Sorry If I havent been around alot lately, but I have alot of shiat going on in my life right now. Plus my internet service has been down since Friday

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old May 3rd 2004, 14:36

Thumbs up New rules rule

Zen,
Everything sounds great to me. Got your message, wife erased it before I got a chance to note any particulars. Did remember a question about the email, it's zahriversz@hotmail.com. Thanks alot.
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Slideshow of build: Discontinued for now. Photobucket deleted hours of work to update their website!!
Old May 3rd 2004, 18:09

well we have heard from most of the regulars and there is not much to change. i think some more on class names as well. we are almost there.

Old May 7th 2004, 23:41

Looks pretty good to me.

The only feedback I would interject is that the rules seem biased for Beetle upgrades. For instance a lot of high point changes cannot (or are not regular) be done on busses.

For instance aluminum 944 rear control arms, a bus is generally too narrow unless the fenders are flared, which in my book is not cool.

Narrowed front beam, not needed on a bus for big brakes.

I am blathering a bit here, but you get the point. Not trying to be a nudge, but hopefully showing a little different perspective from a bus guy.

As for the engines and drivetrain that all looks good.

Thanks,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 8th 2004, 00:26

good points. if you have some upgrades that you would like to see, throw them up here for consideration. i am hoping to finialize the rules in the next week or so.

Old May 8th 2004, 02:22

Thumbs up

If I may... I will admit at frist the new rules looked a bit confusing, but after i sat and thought about it. I do like them. They open the club up to more cars, and more budget minded people. The new rules show you don't have to go all out and spend a few thousand just to have a "german-look" car.

And a big thing that i see. the rules show, the budget minded GL owner, that the details matter, you can be in the club with out having BIG brakes, BIG engine, ect.. the rules give points for the minor improvements, and ideas. which helps if the car is your daily driver, you can't just make over the top changes that might not leave the car driveable for any number of days. also if you keep making minor improvements here and there, you can still have a German-Look car. I am also for the car dues, because that'll help generate more money for the club.

As for suggestions, I was a bit confused on class 1 and class 2, because you generaly think 1 is better than 2, but i caught on. And some cool names for the classes, sorry no suggestions, my high school didn't offer german or i would have taken it.

I hope this helps. that's just what I think, sorry for the length, i'm very opinionated.

Mike
Old May 8th 2004, 17:38

good thoughts Mike. that is exactly what we were shooting for with the scoring system. trying to keep it realistic to different budgets. trying to keep it attainable for the beginner who maybe doesn't know how to do everything on his car (and provide a roadmap for upgrades to teach balance) and give room to grow for those who aim high and want to keep going. sounds like we are near the mark at least.

this approach also opened it up for anyone to join regardless of the state of their car. i think we have a win/win.

as for the class 1 and 2, they are just place holders, not ranking. but i think you got that.

Old May 9th 2004, 22:07

In rereading and rereading the proposed new standards I can only nit-pick on area to be bus "unfriendly" and that would be the Suspension section.

Without major reconstruction (Like Panelfantastics's aka Jeff's) it is almost impossible to get a score of 10.

Heck I think I have done A LOT of rearend and suspension work to the old girl and it cannot get into the 10s.

Honestly I am not crying about it, but just trying to give insight that a nice split would almost never qualify for a class 2 unless radically changed suspension wise.

Maybe a dual set of rules for buses in this category?

Granted my bus is clearly a class 1 VW and will probably always stay that way since it fits my needs, but I do not want to see a new (or current) member(s) get discouraged if they cannot get into the class 2.

That is just my opinion though. Frankly the classes do not do much for me, as long as everyone is hard core GL and VKG it is all good just to hang out and BS VWs

Thanks,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 9th 2004, 22:30

Talking

Good points. I wasn't gonna raise any questions/comments since clearly the rules already have been bent to include me. It does need to be bus friendly though since several club members have blamed me for thier sudden "need" of a bus in the family .
VKG Bastage child
Old May 9th 2004, 23:10
Administrator

maybe we could bump up the point value for some of the mods for bus only or early Bus only.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 9th 2004, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
maybe we could bump up the point value for some of the mods for bus only or early Bus only.
i think that is the best solution. dave and i had already talked about more points for mods that were harder on some vehicles. just hadn't thought of it specific to that. i will see what i can come up with.

and since that bus reference is to me , i have a bus in the family now. not what i wanted or ultimately want, but one of those deals that could not be passed up. '84 Vanagon in great shape at a great price (1/3 what i was looking at for several panels in really rough shape). i view it as temp, but i'm sure i will be doing things to it anyway.