GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old June 23rd 2003, 21:54
Administrator

Hot VW & German Look

I don't think the Folks at Hot VW are real big on German Look yet. I don't get it, how much Cal. Look can you publish before it gets old. The coverage of Bug-A-Paluza has shots of many of the class winners but no shot of the Super Beetle Custom winner. Same went for North vs South no shot of the 68 and Up Bug Custom winner. Both winners were German Look(mine).
I was glad to see that they did a story on the MaxxStrutt, almost a year after VW Trends did it. And a cool 3.6 Porsche powered Type 2. Maybe the change is on the way(my grandmother is slow, but she is old).
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 23rd 2003, 22:06

Thats true, HowVW's is way behind. They did one article on a Black 1303 GL from the UK about a year or so ago, but that has been the extent of the German Look.

Trends has been slackly lately too.
They have a bunch of articles last year about the German Look and now this year has been pretty dry

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old June 23rd 2003, 22:37
Administrator

I think HVW's covered the Great Canadian Bug Show in Mississauga last year and will be here this year. If I can get my fender problems sorted out by Aug 10th, I'll have my 18" Cup 2's and Big Reds on .. hopefully that should catch their attention. That and some GL bugs from Boxer Auto Gruppe at the autocross should show them the GermanLook is alive and kicking in the GTA !

Sandeep
Old June 24th 2003, 09:51
Administrator

I'm going to keep sticking mine out there. Going to Heart of Dixie show this weekend(now sporting the VKG sticker). I took it to a big Classic car show at a big outlet mall last weekend(only VW there) it got lots of looks.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 24th 2003, 10:23

Hopefully Me & Zen will have ours ready for the upcoming fall show season so that we can have at least 3 VKG cars at the shows.

Old June 24th 2003, 11:07
Administrator

Do hurry, It's lonely at the shows .
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 24th 2003, 11:31

Im trying!

I really am.

I have been holding off on doing anything major until I knew I was ready to hit it full force.

I will be ordering all of my CF pieces this week (Bumpers, Running Boards, Headlight Rings, & Kamei Spoiler) and also all my rubber pieces too.

Then sometime in the next few weeks I should be getting my engine sorted, as soon as I work out the details.

Then, the interior will be worked on after the paint & engine are done.

So hopefully I will have it all wrapped up in the next 3 or 4 months. Which should put me sometime in the September or October (rigth before Bug Jam)

Old June 24th 2003, 12:08

i don't know that the US mags will ever get it. at least not until there is a HUGE precense of GL's or they get it from the inside (read: Kathy going GL). the mags have lived off of the cal and resto looks for literally decades now and can keep going on it until their readership keels over. people get stuck in their ways after their 20's and the VW community as a whole in the US is still stuck there.

now don't get me wrong. i am actually one of those people that love GL and still appreciate cal and resto (i would own a resto oval in a minute, but my money can only go one place at this time and given only one choice it is going to be GL). but nonetheless, the look is old and has been done a million times. unless the US finds a new look (like GL) the hobby will eventually die off to a rarity. it has happened to many styles before.

all that or a new magazine will have to come out to support our views. it is a same that business sucks or i would consider it more.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old June 24th 2003, 13:10
Administrator

The mags. are already taking a hit from the net(the web seems to keep up, you just have to find the new stuff, like us). If the mag publishers don't keep up they will die and people will just use the net. A year to do a story on MaxxStrutts is weak. And they have more applications than just German Look. How many times can you do a car with BRM's or Wide 5 Empi's. It's like taking cold medicine, reading some of the stuff. :sleepy:
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 24th 2003, 18:59

I contacted Ryan at VW Trends a couple of times to give him infos and pics of what I find.

You know what....the website is so much better and inforamtion can be shared so much quicker.

The VW scene is already getting smaller so it is great to see that still new products for cars and engines are being produced in the US and Europe to support the scene. If we can try to spread the word eventually even the GL Look will get coverage. If not.....well I think we get quite some coverage thru the site.

Alex
Old June 24th 2003, 21:05
Administrator

germanlook.com rules, it is the best source for the best/freshest look on the VW scene.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 25th 2003, 08:21

Id have to say that the internet has kept the VW Scene alive & has also helped spread the gospel of the German Look too.

If we didnt have it, most people wouldnt no whats going on anywhere else except in their area or what the mags tell them.

Old June 25th 2003, 09:27

I hope I am not violating any rules posting to this group ... uh, gruppe. Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut.

I love the Internet. I feel a need for my books and magazines, too.

A few years ago, I was researching Things, Karmann Ghias, and Type 4s. I was frustrated with the general lack of coverage the US magazines gave these cars. The abundance of Beetle articles -- Cal-Look this, Resto-Cal that, The Inch Pincher regurgitated for the thousandth time here, Sano there -- I still don't know what Sano is -- actually made me disinterested in a Beetle of any sort.

After all of the fact finding, I ended up buying a Cabrio to satisfy my convertible craving and a Golf for my wife as finding a suitable 411 or 412 for her was too daunting.

There were times I was going to let my subscriptions run out without renewal.

Ironically, one of the US magazines had an article on the different "looks" in the Beetle scene. The little blurb on the German Look changed my thought patterns on Beetles completely. The GL became my choice (over a Fox wagon believe it or not) of a high performance car.

(My cars were always practical and never modified. The years of not having a 'vert are over; and unless I die too soon, I will have my high performance car, too.)

I believe all of the above opinions coincide with mine. Why have a picture of a Passat and not of a Super Beetle? Nevertheless, there was also an article -- albeit too short of one -- on the Swedish Look 1302. The magazines are slowly including Supers and GLs. I renewed again ... for one more year again. I'm hoping the trend will continue.

By the way, why is a Cal-Look Beetle from Alabama still Cal-Look but a German Look 1302 from Sweden called a Swedish Looker? Hmmm.

-René
Old June 25th 2003, 13:42
Administrator

Wecome Oasis- You can post here any time. We don't exclude anyone. Feel free to stop in talk German Look or just plain VW when ever you want.
I have met 2 HVW writers at shows and they both seemed to be hung up on Cal-Look and Resto-Custom(Not a lot of diferance if you ask me) also Sano(Sanitary/Clean Stock). But once in a while you will see a Euro or German Look from Europe. The Blue Porsche powered(300hp) Tiptronic trans.- 67 bus from Florida(Aug 2003) is I think the first GL I have seen them publish from the USA(in HVW). It had to go in- it is bad ***(air,996 brakes,6cyl Porsche and trans). Gives me a piss shiver just looking at it.:silly:
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 25th 2003, 14:04

Quote:
Originally posted by NO_H2O
Gives me a piss shiver just looking at it.:silly:
LOL... thats the funniest thing i've read in a while!!