GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old March 29th 2005, 07:56

front strut probs

Hi, I have lowered my bug,a 1302s by one spline on the rear and it is great but i also fitted a pear of 2" lower springs to the front but it hasnt droped 2".
With weight on the front end the bug sits low but as soon as the weight comes off she rises back up under the tension of the shock inserts i think.
Do I need to change the inserts for shorter ones or have i missed something ?
Cheers Martin
Old March 29th 2005, 18:30

You'll probably find that your old springs had sagged a little, so the 2 inch drop was comparing to a new set of stock springs.

New inserts won't help. The inserts (shock) control the oscillations of the spring, ie when you bounce the car up and down they offer the resistance and slow/ stop the bouncing when you let go.

If you want to go lower than what you have you will need to look at strut bodies with lowered spring cups / platforms- adjustable ones will get it sitting exactly where you want it, have a look at http://www.toplineparts.com/lowstrut.html

I see your in England- I think big boys toys offer something similar http://www.bigboystoys-uk.com/ have a look at the performance suspension on their site.

And 1 more thing- if you go this route the strut body will be shorter and you will need new inserts to fit.

Cheers
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeza; March 29th 2005 at 18:39.
Old March 30th 2005, 06:23

thanks for the reply,
I will look in to adjustable struts,
I guess the tyre size will also make a difference im running 205 - 55 -16 s on the front.
Cheers Martin
Old March 30th 2005, 16:37

Tyre size will come into it, but most important is the wheel width and offset (or backspace). If you want to run wide wheels you may find they interfer with the springs. The way around this is to use the slim spring struts- which are more expensive.

Have a look around here and on the Topline site, then have a talk to Big Boys Toys and the like (Machine 7) they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers
Jeremy
Old March 30th 2005, 17:00

Jeremy, I got the wheels to fit and miss the springs using adapter plates as they are Porsche wheels,I could do with wider wings now but thats another story.
The gap between the arch and the wheel is about 2" and the bug points upwards,It looks daft.........