GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 13th 2004, 18:15

$250 for exhaust and points?

I messed up my exaust when i bottomed out my 72' super this weekend. I need a new exhaust, i can get a performance exaust, header and j tubes with new points all that installed for $250 is that a good price? The guy at the local vw shop said for me not to run my stereo with the car off because it burns up my points is this true? My car back fires alot right now and runs like crap keeps stallin and stuff i think its because i dont have the right back pressure because there is a 1" gap between my exhuast manifold and my muffler on the right side of my car. Could the points have anything to do with the car running bad to? Thanks for any help. I dont wanna dump alot of money in to it, but i want it to run good for the next two months before i go in the army and i maybe want a little more power outta it with the exhaust. Thanks again.

Peace,
Wil
Old July 13th 2004, 21:08
Administrator

What kind of exheaust are they going to install?
More than likley it is an Empi or something like that. You can pike up a single quiet pack with the cheap black paint that won't last a week for $50 and a set of points and condenser is like $5.
I would get a quality ceramic coated or stainless exhaust for $200 and spend the other $50 or a compufire. Then bust out the screwdriver and the 13mm wrench and do it myself.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 13th 2004, 21:38

On VW's there is no accescory position on the ignition switch. When you have your stereo on and the engine is running there is a chance that the points will be closed and voltage will be flowing through it. If that happens long enough the points contacts will weld themselves together or burn a hole through them, either way your bug will run like crap. NOH2O suggestion of compufire will allow you to not have to worry about that, wire your stereo so that it is on when the key is in the off position too, or just walk to back of the Super and unplug the condenser(just don't froget plug it back in when you are gunna start up). I ran a 1 1/2" full competion merged header with a fresh 2 1/2" magnaflow setup for $280 back in the day.

Nick
Old July 13th 2004, 23:05

Im not really a do it my self person on vw's I like v-8's and stuff where everything is open and easy to work on. Hmm.. yea its a dual quiet pack exhaust with the header thing i think i dunno he said somthin bout j-tubes but im not smart really i just know they delete the heatbox thing. Yea i have a 009 dis so i dunno how much points are for that. I'll just have the shop do the work, is it about 2 hours of labor to take off the exhuast and put a new one on and replace the points? Thanks again.

Peace,
Wil
Old July 14th 2004, 08:46
Administrator

An exhaust is an eazy DIY, 8 nuts, 2 cables, 2 clamps, 4 small nut/bolts and its off. Trick is to drive it and get the nuts on the head studs hot, break the 8 nuts loose then let it cool off and finish pulling it. As far as the comp-u-fire kit,,,,that is not hard either, can you use a timing light?
But if you have a guy you trust and don't feel like doing it,,,,pay the man.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe