GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old March 9th 2013, 22:53

wow humble, im sitting here reading this with my gf, we where amazed, truly inspires my build i got going on. a once in a life time chance to really see how a once economical car with a little bit of money, a skilled driver, can go a long long way. humble...im so jelious of your run in with the super car club.
Old March 10th 2013, 07:16

Awesome! I love stories like that! That is what makes such a build worthwhile! Nice of the Mclaren guy to chat with you about it and not be pissed off because he spent hundreds of thousands on his car.Cool stuff!
Old March 10th 2013, 10:53

Very cool story and awesome pics of these multidollar supercars, but where's your beetle? A pic of the 1303 with those cars in the same shot is even cooler of course.
Old March 10th 2013, 15:23

Wally, You can see the bug off to the side in a couple of the shots, I was parked next to the testarossa and 458. It's a small car in this crowd

Steve C, this group isn't the type to put a loan on a car, it's either leased or purchased out right.

cookvw, I'm still jazzed about it. I've lived here 7 years and dreamed about something like this happening but I never thought it would.

70Turbobug, I was afraid that they would be a snooty bunch, but a lot of them were car guys and very cool. Lots of them came over to check out the bug and they were genuinely interested in it.
Old March 10th 2013, 15:30

Found her! The guy on the pole is standing mostly in front of your car and you didn't even see it when you took the pic haha!
Being chased by a MP12C and talk with the owner afterwards about it, how cool is that!
Old March 10th 2013, 17:57

I just read this whole thread. Very funny because I have had a Manx project and my 79 Convert project going for too many years. As the Manx went from mild to wild then wilder and got a Mendeola suspension the MBT with Kerscher coilovers suspension went to the Bug and have followed the same process as you. The Bug gets the hand me down race car parts. Thought you might want to see a shot of the STi setup we are building for the Manx. As the fabricator Tigwerks does this in his spare time, it has taken us over 14 long months to get this far. It is killing me. If you get a chance post up some shots of your buddys autocross Manx. I have a Manx build thread on NASIOC Conversions but have not taken the time to put one up here. Let me know if you guys want one here.

Oh and the muffler will swing up when done.

Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old March 11th 2013, 19:02

I love hearing that. I've been on several drives over the years, my favorite was in the Arizona desert very late at night up in the hills and mountains with friends.

I've also seen several high-dollar cars with owners that CFD. Like you said though, not that it's a race, it's just fun to go out and open things up a bit. It just sucks when you get stuck behind someone really overcautious or likewise someone who does think it's a race and rides a little too close really spoils the mood.
Old March 13th 2013, 00:52

That is just awesome!!!! I love it when all the stars align and something so magical happens with timing. I've been blessed to be hounding some Mc's in the last few weeks, thought you might want a peak!

Laguna Seca

ThunderHill

Keep your GoPro handy at all times ferchrisake!!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old March 14th 2013, 12:06

Jason what car are u running.

Think u may have mentioned it before, sur looks like a roundel up front. If I had to guess an e35 but the sound did not match?

Regardless nice line and runs at those cars
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old March 15th 2013, 17:03

SuperRSi, I've been following your build on the NASIOC for a while, and I have one concern. It seems like the front tires are wasted since they will never be on the ground...

Jason, you should have hit me up when you were at laguna seca, my house is about an hour north of there on your way home! Also, what groups were you running with at laguna seca and thunder hill?
Old March 17th 2013, 06:04

It will be interesting to see if there is any front tire wear. The parts are headed my way so maybe an update in the next few weeks.
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old March 21st 2013, 00:40

The new STI motor arrived a few days ago and I couldn't leave it well enough alone. It's actually from an 07 STI, which means it has e-throttle so that will have to get replaced. I started stripping it down looking for dirty secrets, but in looks good on the surface and even the belts were in great shape.

I have an 11lb. alu. flywheel and a TY754VBAAA trans on the way, both should be here by next week. I already picked up an OBX diff for the tranny, and even though it's new it still needs to be gone through. With the additional work it's worth the money. I also got a TGV (tumble generator valve) delete kit, so that'll be a weekend project.

In racing news, the 2013 season is finally getting underway. I went to a different series event last weekend that's mainly geared towards muscle cars and they setup a fast course. Unfortunately, my throttle cable snapped 100ft. into my first run and my day was done. I usually have a spare, but didn't have one with me this time. I was pretty bummed until I realized a few things.

1. I trailered the bug there so I didn't need to drive it home.
2. The organizers refunded my entry because I had already done my work assignment and now couldn't drive.
3. If I had to break a part on the car, I'm glad it was one of the cheapest. Earlier in the day, a car lunched it's trans after 3 runs.

Having realized my day could have been a lot worse, I started feeling a lot better. There's another autox with NorcalUFO (my usual group) this weekend, so I really want to get out there now
Old March 22nd 2013, 14:58

You don't quit do you Will?
Old March 24th 2013, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
Jason, you should have hit me up when you were at laguna seca, my house is about an hour north of there on your way home! Also, what groups were you running with at laguna seca and thunder hill?
I know, I felt like an idiot not remembering. I did bring a friend down with me and he's not a bug guy so I probably will stop by when I'm alone.

I was instructing with HOD in both events in the e36 M3.

You're bug is going to kick butt!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old March 24th 2013, 03:28

Wicked story.

A lot of nice toys in that lot.