GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old September 21st 2009, 04:32

gambling on finishing my 1302 before nye

so, 14 weeks left till my deadline, getting the gearbox built in november, pan next week, may take a month to do, im curious, what do people reckon, is it possible, having 99% of all the parts you need, to get a bug from a pile of parts to a completed running driving car in so short a time, keeping in mind this is mostly a one person operation in a double garage, working 8-13hr days 5-6days a week to pay for it... so? whos prepared to back/encourage me to get it done?

(basically i need some words of encouragement for my crazy schedule)

this wa supposed to be a poll but i cant work out how to do it right
Old September 21st 2009, 04:37

if you have all the parts then Giver Dude and I'm sure you can get one or two buddies to help...
lets See some Pics and Specs too
Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old September 21st 2009, 05:53

Your finishing your GL Project is your payment to yourself for the other stuff you do to get it done. Make a list of project priorities and tear into it. I have been so busy getting everyone else up and going that my wife came up with this, Pay our self one hour a day just for your goal. And get it done.
Old September 21st 2009, 19:50

pics of things are on photobucket, stidub as the user, i have a build thread on my local vw forums, aussieveedubbers.com not much to show till i have the pan done but will certainly be trying to work less, possibly negelect the girlfriend alot & HOPEFULLy ill get it done, will put links up later, shhh im on a break from work aiming for doing most of it on saturdays now, knocked back overtime on weekends & going to treat it like a working day but for myself. should be right
Old September 25th 2009, 09:22

bellhousing kit from RJES is in the country! shame its now the weekend & i cant just grab it when im at the airport 5 hrs from now.
Old November 24th 2009, 09:39

update for the GL crew, check ou the build thread on AVD forums for more but the box is complete, less output flanges at least, & the engine is being picked up tomorrow too, JDM 03 STI!

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/v...d=78092&page=4

with the million "little" things that need to be done to get it going the deadline is unlikey, ill be happy with a rolling shell bolted together for now though
Old November 24th 2009, 16:20

Lookin' good so far! The Albins stuff is pretty much bullet proof, I've got Albins internals for my race tranny and I won't go easy on them.
Old November 25th 2009, 08:45

gearbox picked up sarvo, very pleased with it, worked out a lil cheaper than expected too, makes it even better, its rather heavy though!

JDM 02 STI engine & all the bits needed, funny, the engine was being driven in the car in japan 2 months ago, lookin good for lotsa stuff to play with tomorrow

picked up a sway bar on the way home via the local ve club meet too, convenient really, needed one to make sure nothing else interfered with the mounting of one that will no doubt be huge later on, basic shape/mounts is all i needed for now though.

Humble, very true, dave, the guy who built it for me is a long time vw drag racer & he couldnt think of anything to upgrade in it other than maybe going an albins R&P but it seemed not really worthwhile, as it turned out it seems it was pretty much an open checkbook box, kinda scary when thought of that way but at least i wont worry about breaking it, will have specs for the whole box available in the near future if anyones curious, looking forwatd to playing with it all tomorrow!
Old November 25th 2009, 09:24
Administrator

Keep you nose to the Ol' Grindstone but don't be in a hurry.
Thats an nice gearbox.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old November 25th 2009, 09:24
Administrator

Sorry, double post.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe

Last edited by NO_H2O; November 25th 2009 at 20:24.
Old November 25th 2009, 17:15

man, u are going to kick my butt at next years nationals Supersprint, that thing is going to fly!
Can't wait to see it finished
regards
Jak

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6
Old January 5th 2010, 19:11

ok ok, nye was unrealistic, however theres been some solid progress, updating multiple forums is time consuming so ive been lacking heavily but thought i mite throw a pic or 2 up here for interests sake

Old January 6th 2010, 00:43

Really like your build. where did you get those rear fenders? l love the way they wrap around the tires like that. Im pretty sure you got them in AUSTRALIA but I just had to ask.
Old January 6th 2010, 22:11

yep, its our special bit that nobody else gets, easily anyway :P :P :P they are aerolook guards, available from a few places
V-Force www.beetleracing.com.au
Vintage Vee Dub Supplies http://www.vintageveedub.com.au/
& i Believe Rodney Penrose may have some http://www.rodpenroseracing.com.au/ lucky for you lot in the USA is he goes over there frequently, if your keen on a set that may be your best bet, they are about $300-400AUD a corner though - the fronts are the same too, mite be costly for shipping though

supposedly the idea was they stop air from getting up inside the guards causing a big air pocket that makes the car lift at speed, similar to a kamei i guess, will see how it works in practise in a few months i guess.

oh brian, thanks for the feedback
Old June 1st 2010, 20:20

spose i should put a pic up of the other VW
2L, turbo, manual, watercooled, just has 2 more gears than the beetle & alot more creature comforts :lol:

not a bad tow car eh?

the americans amongst us may recognise these...

thats in a 15x6.5" rim just for reference

and the 17x8"

to me, this ^^ is how under the front of every super should be, big rubber, the ability to turn a corner still, coilovers & big-ish brakes

the CV boot seems to JUST clear the shock i have for mock up purposes....

it makes for easy progress when you borrow other people - a mate from aussieveedubbers forums

if you can find the guy haha

wanted, 18x10's to fill these spaces....

trust me, with the bodywork on, theres room... but only just

and, it now rolls & steers, hugely wrong guess with the tie rod length, screwed the ends in too far, its about an inch further in each side!

looks awesome though, despite the dust, and missing headlights

what ya think???

(gotta love copy/paste when posting on other forums)

hope this comes up ok....

progress is a little slower than id like, dont you hate when the rest of life stops you from doing the fun stuff!