GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 8th 2007, 01:43

I was told to go with 17's.But would my stock 1600cc be able to move thse size of wheels.Also to the guys that have 17's does your car rev up really high like how it does when u change the tire height in the rear?And I looked at the calculator in a topic, it says 40-55mm is ok for the 72 super beetle, would the same go for a standard bug?
Old January 8th 2007, 12:46

My car is a Super, so no narrowing.

Most cars I know that have the 4x100 pattern are water-cooled VWs and some Japanese makes. Those would be front wheel drive cars. There may be others, though.

The rear of a Super Beetle and a standard Beetle are identical for like years.

The front will require separate considerations. Be sure to consider inner rubbing of the tires as well as outer when calculating offset and narrowing.

I did a lot of measuring and calculating with my Super.
Old January 8th 2007, 18:07

Yeah I found that the Mazda Miatas which are RWD have the 4-100 bolt pattern.Would you know what offset would be good to use for the frontend of a standard bug? Im just researching the idea of converting over to 4-100 bolt pattern. So for rear I'd want a rim with a +40-55mm offset.Would these be and ideal size and rim for the rear and frontend?
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...5&autoModClar=
Im not sure about the 7" width though. I was told a site that says what to do with 7" wide rims. I would have to trim some parts and do other modifications, is there another option for putting 16x7" wheels?
these are 22lbs each so they might not be good for a stock 1600cc (with a header,exhaust,009, and 34pic carb).
I really like this wheel though(sorry oasis, not trying to copy you).
Only problem is there all 7" wide and I really dont wanna cut anything on my car.
Heres a 15" version of that rim though, its 15x6.5".
For the front I figure Id probably need a 2" narrow, nothing major, right, unless a +40mm offset will tuck in the front fenders?I dont want my wheels/tires at the edge of my fender,just enough to be able to lower car 2-3inches front an rear.
Old January 8th 2007, 18:09

oops i double posted sorry bout that

Last edited by Veedub; January 8th 2007 at 23:02.
Old January 8th 2007, 22:59

I should have remembered the Miata as I considered that car before going with my Cabrio ... anyway, ...

The seven-inch wide wheel can work on the rear depending on offset. My 6½-inch wheel has an 8mm spacer, too. So, a little tweaking in offset differences (mine is 42mm) and you're there.

Don't know anything about standards, though. Someone else will have to step to the plate on that one for front end suggestions.

Oh, and you will be a one-of-a-kind in your own way if you imitate me.
Old January 8th 2007, 23:04

do you think i should go silver or black on the rim department, thats where im having trouble. i cant photoshop so i am out on that idea lol. what you think?
Old January 8th 2007, 23:08

Black is more "today" from what I am told, but I still favor silver. My daughter once told me I was "so two years ago."
Old January 8th 2007, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedub View Post
this is my color combo, i know it looks ok with silver...but black is a questionable color
Old January 9th 2007, 01:38

I am only curious, the rims I really like are these http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...5&autoModClar=
well they are available with a +45 offset, and a +38 offset, could I use the +38mm offsets up front and the +45mm offset rims in the rear?Also the only bad thing I guess bout them is there 16x7's.
Old January 9th 2007, 22:48

I did a few photoshops of my bug, what you think bout the rims on my bug?

with polished Rota slipstreams

black slipstreams ( except in a 4-100 bolt pattern)
I like both but dont know, what you guys think? black rims or silver?

ps yeah I know i cant photoshop, but at least I tried.

Last edited by Veedub; January 9th 2007 at 23:38.
Old January 10th 2007, 21:30

If I was to go with the porsche bolt pattern, and get Fuchs would I need spacers for front and rear like I would with the Rotas in the above post?
I was thinking of this after seeing what they look like and thinking bout the Fuchs in the chrome lip with Harbor blue (my bugs color) on the wheels where they are black.On cip1 they have them in a 15x5.5inch with a 4.5inch backspacing for front (would that be ok with a stock frontend?)And the rear....I dont really know, what would you guys run with stock fenders in rear?
Old January 13th 2007, 11:11

Fuchs are crazy in prices I'll go back to the 4-100 plan...
I think I basically decided I want a rim in the 14-16lb range. Anyone know if the stock 60hp motor can handle moving 15x7inch rims?
The wheels Im most likely going to get are Rota Slipstreams,ASA AR1's (there like oasis's rims)see link.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ber=AR15I22SML
or OZ Canova see link
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...0&autoModClar=
these are the 3 I mostly like, but cant decide.
Rotas got a 40mm offset,ASA AR1's have a 40mm offset and the OZ have a 45mm offset.
What rim would be best to use and require less modifications for the rear?
The front I know narrowing 2-3inches will be required along with drop spindles.

Last edited by Veedub; January 13th 2007 at 11:15.
Old January 17th 2007, 23:58

What about this...I been thinking my rims stuck out farther than I really thought they actually did.There 15x4.5inch rims (similar to Ansens) with 195/60/15's front and rear. How do you guys think it would look with fenders in the rear that are 1.25" wider and then narrow the frontend 2 or 3inches, enough to tuck them inside a little, not alot.Then Id be able to lower the front and rear enogh to where the tires tuck inside the fenders, not slammed but like 3-4inches, most likely 3inches in front and rear.
Im just playing with ideas...would you think that would look right, wide fenders in rear with 15x4.5inch rims with 195/60's?

they stick out and inch front and rear.
Old January 21st 2007, 04:02

Since the current wheels wont work with disc brakes, im going to go with the stock chrome rims 15x5.5 up front and a widened version 15x7. the 15x7 is the stock offset and will fit under most fenders, but im going to run wider fenders in the rear.Now my question is, do they make a 195/50 and a 195/60 in raised white letter?if not i'll go with 195/50's up front and 195/60 in the rear.
Old January 21st 2007, 04:13

I went to tirerack.com, and foung BF Goodrich tires on 225/60-15 is raised white letters. That was the best I could do. (I only spent two minutes there, though.)