GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old November 25th 2004, 14:45

kerscher: if so, where?

I have a stock 1971 1302. My plan includes lowering the front 1½-2 inches, and the rear 0-½ inch. I am planning to buy front and rear disc brakes drilled to a 5x100 pattern, a strut tower bar, front and rear anti-sway bars, a flip-it bump steer kit, caster fix bushings from TopLine. I have 16x6½-et42 wheels which will have 205/55-16 tires.

I am leaning towards using Kerscher struts over MaXX struts based on that I can start the lowering of the front at 1½ inches as well as other possible considerations. The three places my searching says they are available are Machine 7, CSP, and Kerscher.

I e-mailed Machine 7 four days ago with some basic questions, and haven't received a reply. They seem to enjoy a good reputation but now I am skitterish. (Update: Machine 7 responded soon after this post. I'm sure it was coincidence.)

Unless I missed something, CSP seems to have other systems like SPAX and only for 1303s.

Kerscher's site is in German only and my free translator gives inconclusive results.

How trusting should I be with ordering from any of these sites? Update: I have no update on CSP's inventory or a translation for Kerscher, but I was satisfied with Machine 7's response. My only remaining decision is whether to pay the larger-than-expected price difference. I'll have to do that one on my own.

Last edited by oasis; November 26th 2004 at 14:13. Reason: updated info
Old November 27th 2004, 20:16
Superman

£440 = US$834.48 (struts)
£120 = US$227.58 (shipping)
£560 = US$1062.06 (total)

The MaXX struts from Topline Parts, with shipping, are less than $500
Old November 27th 2004, 21:04

Double post???

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old November 27th 2004, 23:26
Superman

Question

They could be merged?
Old November 28th 2004, 05:20

The funny thing is I'm getting everything else brake and suspension related from TopLine. I just don't like being forced into a choice between a two-inch drop with a raked look (albeit a subtle one), and $500. Five hundred bucks is a major chunk out of my seats and seatbelt upgrades.
Old November 30th 2004, 18:23

You can email Kerscher in English no problem.

info@kerscher-tuning.de

I have found Emmi and Monica very helpful and there English is good. Better than mine possibly. 0049 8727 968812

K. stuff is top notch for the money IMO. WOW is all I can say (2.5yrs later) about the effect there struts and F/R anti-roll bars had on my '79 '03's cornering ability and ride comfort. If you plan to keep your Beetle (my own way of justifying any expense) go for the finest parts you can afford. A delay can be an earner. On the other hand, TopLine shift a LOT of strut kits to folks, some on here who are very happy. On my third hand, there is other makes who have made stuff up for Super's, only Leda springs* to mind but there is others out there- no prices floated that I've seen. Nothing any good is cheap.

I was billed 2/3 of the advertised prices. My first order was through the late GCC in Essex. I was billed directly by Kerscher, I doubt GCC got a comission due to poor (at the time) service.

Matt
Old December 1st 2004, 07:56

You will have a hard time at the moment with the $ being so poor against the euro...