GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old March 11th 2007, 12:40

Fixing carelessness

Last summer, I took in an albatross of a side job for a fellow to get his '79 Westy back on the road, and get me some money to finish my Poorsche project. I built the engine from an incomplete basket-case, fixed some minor stuff from sitting for the last few years, and he was very happy with the results.

Fast foreward to December, he decides he wants me to get the heat working, and get it to drive better, so ball-joints, rod ends, and the swing-lever bushings will all have to be replaced. It works out for me, 'cause I still need paint, and can't afford it right now. Problem is, the Bus won't run now, so we will need to tow it to my house. He inquires as to what might be keeping it from running. I say I won't know 'till I see it.

Turns out the fellow lost the gas cap some months ago, and plugged the filler hole with a rag. With the wet weather we've had, he's ended up gathering a lot of water in the tank when he stopped driving it for the front end being so loose. I drained a half gallon of water, and about 4 gallons of gas out, and went thru the carb (yeah, single DFEV, I know, so don't tell me ) and replaced the water damaged facet valve fuel pump to get it running again, drawing the fuel out of an outboard marine fuel can. I'm pulling the tank out now, but had to take a break to bandage up my two index fingers I just peeled an inch of skin off of by getting the fuel tank cover off. That's why I'm typing this now instead of removing the tank.

Good thing I had a tetanus shot in '05.

This proves that ignorance is bliss. Most VW owners are mechanically inclined, and repair their own. Some are not, and can't. Some are wealthy and won't. This guy isn't mechanically minded, so he wasn't aware of the effects of his carelessness with procuring a new gas cap after the other one went missing. Had this fellow known what would happen by leaving a rag in the gas filler for a couple of months, he might have done something about it soon after he lost the gas cap, so in turn, I could be doing something else this weekend, instead of cleaning his gas tank, and tendering bloody fingertips.

My rant isn't meant to be ant detriment to his character though. This guy's a good friend, good, responsible family man, and an excellent trim carpenter. I'm helping him out now, and would do it again. The situation just made me reflect upon the human mind's grasp of mechanical common sense. Some folks have it, some don't, but no one's any lesser a person for not.
'83 928S 4.7
Old April 7th 2007, 10:05

Angry

...And now the albatross really took a dump on me. I got everything back together, suspension, and fuel system, and was about to drive it to work to align the wheels. After taking a short drive close by, a valve was sounding really loose when I returned to the house. The sound gave me that same sick feeling I had after the Nickies ordeal, but I had to check it out before I drove all the way to the shop.

This was an SLR resurfaced SCAT Lube-a-Lobe lifter sold with a Web Cam #73.
This one was #2 intake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP04037.JPG (47.6 KB, 42 views)
'83 928S 4.7
Old April 7th 2007, 18:55
Administrator

Ouch. Looks like it stopped turning (or slowed down to the point that it started to get hacked up). How does the cam lobe look? Did it start to hack the lobe up yet, or did you catch it soon enough?
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 7th 2007, 19:09

It ruined the cam. Rounded off the corner of the lobe from the looks of it thru the lifter hole. I tried a new Febi Bilstein lifter I had, and the cam worked on the edges pretty hard for the 3 minutes I ran it. I hope I caught it before it ruined other things...

He got about 2500 miles out of it before the tank got rained in, and I'm pretty sure it started getting chewed up when I drove it Wednsday night.
'83 928S 4.7
Old April 8th 2007, 16:28
Administrator

A lifter failure after 2000 miles is rare. They normaly go within the first 100-200 miles. I wonder what happened that would stop it from turning.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe