GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old May 31st 2006, 19:42

In dash tach?

Is anyone using the dash gauge panels on their car? Early standard beetle dash
http://www.cip1.ca/PhotoGallery.asp?...13%2D14%2D1004
Just wondering if you can see the tach when its mounted on the outer edge of the dash.
Anyone have pics of theirs mounted?
I don't even have a steering wheel for mine right now to check it out for myself (bare body/bare pan), but if I have to do any cutting I want to get it done before it goes to the bodyshop.
Thanks Mark
Old June 1st 2006, 04:18

A good concern ... and what I have found is: It depends on the steering wheel you have. Most modern steering wheels are smaller and thicker. They will obstruct your view.

I, too, intend to put my future tach in the dash in front of me as well. As much as I don't know exactly what direction I am going yet, I do know those pre-fabbed speaker plate replacements are not the route I will be going.

The only one I might have considered is http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.as...13%2D14%2D1001. It would mean one would have to use a 2-1/16" tach and some other gauge would have to go to the outside purgatory of obstructed view. It is still a case of last resort for me.

I suggest to do some measuring and see for yourself. You may find (or have) a steering wheel where you won't have that issue.
Old June 1st 2006, 15:01

Its too bad they don't sell the panel with just the one big hole next to the speedo. That would probably be just about right. Otherwise I think I may come up with a rear view mirror mount for the tach and just run the 2" gauges in the dash.
I know Dorinda is running the sport bug wheel in her Super and the top of the speedo is hidden. she crabbed about it when we first put it in, but now she really likes the feel of the wheel and is not about to give it up.
later Mark
Old June 2nd 2006, 06:12

I completely understand. The right steering wheel is a must in my book. The one I want will allow a view of whatever I end up deciding on gauges but more importantly, feels so nice. I would rather it not be leather, though.