GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 14th 2003, 18:33

type 3 front conversion

I am hoping that someone has some experience with type 3 front suspensions. I would like to be able to convert my notch to some 944 T front disc brakes without going to a type 1 beam. Does anyone know if I can have the same spacers made that people are using on the CB drop spindles for the conversion. Is there anyone that sells the spacers as well? Also I know that the spindles on the late type 3 are (ie 70's ) have a wider bolt spacing on the spindles is that the same spacing as the 944 T calipers and does anyone know if the spindles are the same as well? Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make such a conversion possible. also if there is anything I missed feel free to add your comments or ideas. I have some 62 spindles and 69 spindles if the makes a difference.

Thanks
Old October 15th 2003, 13:35

Re: type 3 front conversion

Hello-

I am hoping that someone has some experience with type 3 front suspensions. I would like to be able to convert my notch to some 944 T front disc brakes without going to a type 1 beam.

There's absolutely no need to put in a T1 beam.

Does anyone know if I can have the same spacers made that people are using on the CB drop spindles for the conversion.[/B]

More or less, yes. The T3 bearing IDs are the same as T1. For my setup (late T3 style), the only difference from what "most" people do is that I did a little bit less machining of the 944 hub. I machined off the part where the seal used to go, but I didn't machine the part where the inner bearing used to go deeper. The reason I did this was so that the position of the caliper and rotor was just right... if you follow the instructions on the GL site (the French ones), you should get there. Note that I used non-turbo brakes, though.

Is there anyone that sells the spacers as well?

Nope.

Also I know that the spindles on the late type 3 are (ie 70's ) have a wider bolt spacing on the spindles is that the same spacing as the 944 T calipers and does anyone know if the spindles are the same as well?

I dunno about the turbo calipers (maybe?), but definately the same as the non-turbo ones. The spindles are totally different... still look like T1.

The only problem was that the caliper bolt holes are located too far outward... i.e. if you put the hub on and just bolted up the caliper with no modifications, it was centered around the rotor just fine, but the pads hung off the rotor by ~5/16"-3/8" or so. So, you have to slot the bolt holes of the calipers (and get some dowels of appropriate size to keep the calipers from sliding) and clearance the spindles/calipers to make them fit.

Take care,
Old October 16th 2003, 11:49

Thanks Shad

I think by the sounds of it since the 944T disc are 298 mm instead of the 944 n/a which are 282 mm I may not have to even move the calipers. Thanks again.
Old October 19th 2003, 10:29

The earlier T3 splindles, pre 72(?), take all the same bearings, rotors and the same looking caliper as a T1. The piston is larger in true T3 calipers compared to T1. So any conversion for a T1 will fit the earlier T3 disc brake splindles.
Old December 28th 2003, 17:05

on late type 3 hubs...

I'm running audi coupe sliding calipers off a circa 1988 car - bolt on fitment with VERY minor mods