GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #841  
Old June 15th 2011, 14:13
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogara_ZO View Post
Hi Walter,

Nice pictures as always!

So after a day like that what do you say, KONI or Bilstein is your vote?
20 years old Bilsteins or new adjustable Koni yellows? Its not about make, but model and adjustable or not. I like the new shocks as they seem to work well, but thats about it. The new alignment job with a little more camber in the rear may also have played part in a good road holding in the rear. I dunno what did what exactly tbh.
I do know I know have a bit more understeer? That's where your second q comes in
Quote:
And maybe I've missed something but are you happy with your coil over front setup?

Cheers
Yes, very! The height adjustability and shock adjustment are great to have I think.
Its a pity there isn't a bigger front roll bar, as I would like a little less roll. So I'll probably have to get a bit stiffer front springs (again ). Car is still comfortable enough I feel, so I think its a logical option to try first.

Hope that answered your q? As you see, these things are car-specific and probably rather personal too, so there's really no "always-good-set-up" to be had...
__________________
'75 Super.
...because race car!
Reply With Quote
  #842  
Old June 15th 2011, 16:01
Humble's Avatar
Humble Humble is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 758
It looks good on track we just need to get you a better in car camera Were you going all out or still taking it easy? Looks like you could have taken those corners a bit faster That porsche driver must have been annoyed at best or red-misting at worst, getting passed by a beetle!

For the shocks I vote Koni or QA1 double adjustable rear and a koni double adjustable front. I'm still dialing mine in and I have an autox this weekend to test, but I've been very happy with them so far.
Reply With Quote
  #843  
Old June 15th 2011, 16:57
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
It looks good on track we just need to get you a better in car camera Were you going all out or still taking it easy? Looks like you could have taken those corners a bit faster That porsche driver must have been annoyed at best or red-misting at worst, getting passed by a beetle!
I agree Humble, camera is having difficulty with the contrast (and I forgot to press the compensate button for that..)
_I_ was going all out for my doing, but was a bit carefull (and not skillfull enough) in the corners and not at max boost (tad over 1 bar) and obviously the car can do much more then I dare or am capable of. The 911RS I overtook so easily did run 2 seconds faster on his fastest round and unlike me, he was pretty consistent. That shows to me the car can run much better lap times, its just the driver that lacks at this point...
__________________
'75 Super.
...because race car!
Reply With Quote
  #844  
Old June 15th 2011, 17:27
aartjan's Avatar
aartjan aartjan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Its a pity there isn't a bigger front roll bar, as I would like a little less roll. So I'll probably have to get a bit stiffer front springs (again ). Car is still comfortable enough I feel, so I think its a logical option to try first.
What about moving the inner pivot of the suspension arms upwards?

However, more front rollstiffness will generally tend to more understeer.
Reply With Quote
  #845  
Old June 15th 2011, 17:44
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by aartjan View Post
What about moving the inner pivot of the suspension arms upwards?
Its already on the upper one of the two holes on that bracket...and there's no room to go even higher. Trust me, I've looked, but good thinking and tnx for thinking with me
Quote:
However, more front rollstiffness will generally tend to more understeer.
Hmm, I had forgotten about that effect...damn!
The balance is actually pretty good. Its just that the front tires seemed to have suffered more then the rears and on one very tight corner, I wished for a little less understeer, but maybe I should have turned in later there..
__________________
'75 Super.
...because race car!
Reply With Quote
  #846  
Old June 15th 2011, 18:54
Bruce. Bruce. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 83
It's tough to tell from the photos but the inside front tyre looks a little light in the bends. In other words, the inside front is not planted and the front grip is mostly relying on the outside tyre.

It looks like the outer rear has compressed a bit far leading to the inner front lifting (the diagonal effect). I'd suggest a slightly tighter rear antiroll bar or perhaps ideally, slightly stiffer rear springs. A looser front bar might also work but more lean has other issues.

You could also try increasing the front rebound and see if that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #847  
Old June 16th 2011, 03:52
judgie's Avatar
judgie judgie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: northants uk
Posts: 355
what camber are you running at the front? i found the best set up for mine was to have the rear quite soft and the front fairly stiff.
run 130lb front springs and a h/d bug pack anti roll bar, rear bars are 944 and the 944 anti roll bar. front camber is -3* and rear is -2.5* front toe is set to 0 and the rear has 1.5 toe out.
it will pick the inside front wheel up but at least thats getting as much wieght as poss on the powered wheels which helps combat the wheel spin.
i found that high speed corners were improved when i fitted the front spoiler and splitter and improved again when i fitted the dive planes.
guessing this will all change now i have fitted the lsd.
__________________
my race car build galleryhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/1406263...7602662665607/
my web site www.rnjmotorsport.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #848  
Old June 16th 2011, 04:48
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
.
run 130lb front springs and a h/d bug pack anti roll bar, rear bars are 944 and the 944 anti roll bar.
My set-up and car are probably not really comparable..:
Your rear 944 torsion bars are 23mm. I run 25,5mm (M030) bars.
Your rear 944 anti roll bar is what? 17mm?. I run a 24mm Whiteline anti roll bar in the rear...

My front springs are already 50 lbs up over what Lee send them with. IIRC I now have 350lbs springs...

That why I said each car is so different. Mine is probably so much heavier and therefore needs more of everything I guess.
__________________
'75 Super.
...because race car!
Reply With Quote
  #849  
Old June 16th 2011, 06:25
Bruce. Bruce. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 83
Wow... you are already running a pretty tight rear.

How about replacing the side and rear windows with Perspex to reduce the high up weight? Or would that cause legal problems with road use in NL?

Like the the "I'll be baack" style glasses

Reply With Quote
  #850  
Old June 16th 2011, 07:46
typ4boy's Avatar
typ4boy typ4boy is offline
VW consumer products reseller and researcher
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: england
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
My set-up and car are probably not really comparable..:
Your rear 944 torsion bars are 23mm. I run 25,5mm (M030) bars.
Your rear 944 anti roll bar is what? 17mm?. I run a 24mm Whiteline anti roll bar in the rear...

My front springs are already 50 lbs up over what Lee send them with. IIRC I now have 350lbs springs...

That why I said each car is so different. Mine is probably so much heavier and therefore needs more of everything I guess.
Also remember this front set up is our fast road not our full on track set up.
Reply With Quote
  #851  
Old June 16th 2011, 14:08
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,534
You found me Bruce

and I already have lexan sides (door window, rear sides) and rear window..

Quote:
Originally Posted by typ4boy View Post
Also remember this front set up is our fast road not our full on track set up.
Yeah, suspected as much, but really I probably would like this set-up better anyways. It IS after all really not a 'full on track car' either. I drove 2 hours one way to the track, so _some_ suspension movement is desireble still just to arrive fit and be able to 'race' in good spirit
__________________
'75 Super.
...because race car!
Reply With Quote
  #852  
Old June 16th 2011, 14:40
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,534
and the very next day/evening I was on 'drive-my-friends-to-be-graduated-son-to-pram duty' :



running at idle for over half an hour in queue...he was happy though
__________________
'75 Super.
...because race car!
Reply With Quote
  #853  
Old June 16th 2011, 15:40
Sandeep's Avatar
Sandeep Sandeep is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,795
Looks like you had a fantastic time Walter, thanks for posting the results.

In your opinion, for the type of driving you have done on the long tracks, would you consider adding a limited slip diff ? Or would this potential addition not be worth it ? How about for the drag strip ?

Thanks.

Sandeep
Reply With Quote
  #854  
Old June 16th 2011, 17:18
Wally's Avatar
Wally Wally is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
In your opinion, for the type of driving you have done on the long tracks, would you consider adding a limited slip diff ? Or would this potential addition not be worth it ? How about for the drag strip ?

Thanks.

Sandeep
Good question! short answer: YES!
For last monday I didn't really missed it, but then again, I can hardly tell what its like with one.
I have missed it before on the circuit when I mistook inner wheel spinning for clutch slip (the latter it wasnt). Now with more spring and less overhang, I can get away without it or so it seems, but still wished I had it onboard.

For drag racing I really miss a Diff, any diff I would say as I almost always get one-wheel burn-outs which really sucks and is almost dangerous because of the different traction left-right it results in.

If I get a financial break, an LSD from Paul Guard is the first thing on my list 4sure!
__________________
'75 Super.
...because race car!
Reply With Quote
  #855  
Old June 16th 2011, 20:49
wrenchnride247's Avatar
wrenchnride247 wrenchnride247 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cleveland,TN
Posts: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post

If I get a financial break, an LSD from Paul Guard is the first thing on my list 4sure!
Let me post a pick of mine (again ) for you to look at Wally...

__________________
1970 T1 W/MassIVe 2913cc RAT/?EFI? w/direct fire (very soon) and 915 trans

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 15:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© www.GermanLook.net 2002-2017. All Rights Reserved