GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old June 10th 2013, 14:28

Another nice update as always! Congratulations on the magazine feature!
Old June 11th 2013, 04:00

I'll pick up Ultra. I have passed over it when I was searching for Dean's feature. No evidence of the excellence inside!
Old June 11th 2013, 04:03

I'll pick up Ultra as well.
BMW E30 318i CONVERTIBLE 1992
Italian Toys - GERMAN WAR MACHINES
WRC is for boys - GROUP B WAS FOR MEN
Old June 18th 2013, 10:13

I got the magazine. They also have a feature about the Finland guys
BMW E30 318i CONVERTIBLE 1992
Italian Toys - GERMAN WAR MACHINES
WRC is for boys - GROUP B WAS FOR MEN
Old July 5th 2013, 02:06
Administrator

Well, short update but I realized I haven't been back here too much. Work is crazy, been traveling for my other job and the bug just keeps going. I seemed to have solved the oiling problems, will post some photos this week. The happy news is I've finally got the tuning to a reasonable 10L/100km highway driving, but not at all light footed. I'm quite sure I can still pull it back for even more fuel savings. Really want to dyno the car, but worried I'm going to be disappointed!

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap

Last edited by owdlvr; July 28th 2013 at 13:29.
Old July 7th 2013, 03:12
Administrator

So the current debate is whether I go and drop in the new front coil-over suspension I had planned, or a redo of the shifter setup with something never before seen. Budget for either choice is about the same, not sure what I'm going to enjoy more over the summer. Hmmmm...
Old July 7th 2013, 08:06

Shifter what is the plan?
Old July 8th 2013, 13:44
Administrator

Hmmm...I'm not sure I want to say before I've jumped in with both feet!

Spoke to the developer on the phone this morning, went over the measurements and I just need to wait until after work to confirm that it's all going fit "in theory". Will definitely require some modifications, possibly firing up the welder, but that's not too scary.

-Dave
Old July 28th 2013, 13:28
Administrator

Geesh, this car was new just months ago! It's amazing how things underneath get dirty and corrode. Adjusted the steering box in anticipation of a road trip a couple of weekends ago, and made a note to get under the car with some cleaning supplies and fresh paint soon. The road trip started off as a blast, headed down to the southern border of Washington state, via Mount Rainer National Park and a bunch of other twisty roads. The car was handling flawlessly, despite the heat, until I hit the desert-like conditions of Yakima. The air temperature was a little over 33 degrees, with zero wind. Driving at around 120kph the oil temp was up to 220, and I had to work to keep it below 230F. In hind sight taking the skid plate off before my trip would have been a wise idea, but I was so close to my destination I figured I wouldn't worry too much. I know from past experience that dropping the skid plate will equal a 20deg oil temp reduction, and should probably resolve to create a summer plate with some of the design features of VW's original ones.

The road trip home, though, was like a story from hell. First bad gas (water), which required overnight carb cleaning in a walmart parking lot. The rear brakes went to metal (seized slider pin) and I roasted the rotor and brake calliper. Then ignition issues, and finally a broken elephant foot adjuster (which I discovered many hours later).

I limped the car to AVR on three cylinders, and spent a bunch of time diagnosing the problem (being awake for 30+ hours doesn't help the brain to function). Thank goodness Art and Vic were there to help me out between calls and customers! Eventually I borrowed a set of Rockers from Art's drag-car parts stash, a few other miscellaneous parts and made my final two hour trip home.

And once home, the poor Beetle sat. First off to wait for parts, then to wait while Audi & truck projects were worked on, and then finally because every damned thing I did wasn't working out. The list of things I meant to take care of was rather long, the car after 42,000km was due for some bumper to bumper checks and maintenance. Some things, like the grinding starter, I was aware of…while others (like apparently I have no brake lights!) were pointed out to me on the drive home. While I waited for new rocker arms to arrive, I started picking away at the list.

The brake switch boots were filled with dried mud, and thus the contacts had corroded. Relatively easy fix that, so there was that positive factor. But the next two photos give a much better description of how my last two weeks went.

Missing from the photos is the brand new brake calliper, that once installed started puking fluid out of the e-brake mechanism…there were other issues too, but I'm afraid I'll end up in a mental hospital if I start listing them off! After breaking the new chinese-rebuilt starter ($40), the only thing I could get quickly was a Bosch rebuilt, at a price tag of $150. True, not bad for a starter…but when you toss them in a lathe and cut a 1/4" off the front face you think about whether or not you want to spend the money! My gosh, why did I not buy one of these from the get-go? All my grinding starter issues are gone, even though I haven't replaced my now hurting flywheel. Not to mention it spins so much quicker the bug starts in less then a second.

After getting the whole motor reassembled, the brakes replaced and bled (twice) I loaded in a bunch of tune up parts (points, wires, cap, rotor, plugs) and fired it up. Holy bag of hammers, Batman! The motor sounded like the crank was split in two, and all the bits were bouncing off each other. Well crap. A few evenings of sleuthing around, and eventually I simply replaced the new rocker-shafts/rockers with the old ones (putting a new adjuster into the one broken one) and everything is silent as a lamb. Same part, same part number, same measurements in every respect. The car likes one set, but not the other. I'm not going to argue, because it's running now!

I figured after a frustrating two weeks, two things where in order. First, movie night:

and second, a little upgrade today:

I need to make some mounts today, but looking forward to the front spoiler. Also, my new shifter assembly has shipped…it will probably arrive just in time for the long weekend, and I'll be away in Edmonton. Argh!!

-Dave
Old July 28th 2013, 17:33

That really is a crap week but well don for knuckling down and getting on with it. Many people would have put the car in the garage and left it for a month or more!

I also feel your pain. I went through 3 hydraulic clutches before going back to cable. Finally happy with that but now have to have the gearbox rebuilt (again!!!!!) due to grinding into third.

Gotta ask why we bother some times but when you get behind the wheel and everything is working fine you cant help but smile!
Old July 29th 2013, 03:04
Administrator

Needed to clear my head tonight, figured a drive was the best way to do it. 150km later, guess you could say I'm enjoying the car again! Stopped up on Cypress for a few night time shots.

URL for larger images: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhdynamics/9391732268/ (takes you to the last shot, then just scroll through)

-Dave
Old July 29th 2013, 07:43

Those photos look great. And I'm with Dean, its fixed, you drove it, and it looks great. Your dedication to this car is absolute.

What's the crack with the mini? Looks tidy
Old July 30th 2013, 14:04
Administrator

The Mini is my housemate's. Warwick's been restoring it for a few years, it's had a full ground-up. He went as far as dipping the whole shell to remove the rust, and then had the panels cut out and replaced. Pretty rad car, 1276cc now. Should be in a Mini magazine before the end of 2014, unfortunately he travels too much to actually "finish" the car.

...so I'm impatiently waiting for the courier to arrive today. Well, hopefully today. My new shifter, which was way too expensive, should be arriving before 5pm. Woot!

-Dave
Old July 31st 2013, 02:49
Administrator

And here it is!

So I ordered the Hargett Performance 901 shifter (designed for a 911). It's going to need modifying to fit a Beetle, and I suspect substantially more modifying to make it fit the way I want/envision it. But it ticks all the boxes for improving the shifting, at least on paper. Will be a few weeks until I can get to installing it, which is going to kill me. I'm off to Edmonton on the weekend, and this is more then a few evening's job!

-Dave
Old July 31st 2013, 08:17

That´s a nice piece! Cool wine rack btw