GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old April 4th 2004, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by vujade
Replaced the brushes in the Fastback generator
Put a new voltage regulator in the Fastback, but the generator light is still on
Did you polarize the brushes and armature?

All I been doing is collecting parts, and having balance, and machine work done on the engine pieces for my 1303. I haven't done anything towards building it yet. I haven't even taken it out from under it's cover since I dragged it home.

I've been getting used to my new job, and moving stuff to the new house little by little. Lately I've been helping my friend re-shell his WRX after rolling it 3 times (it landed on it's wheels...he cranked it up and actually drove it away! ) After it passes a NCDMV inspection, it will come back apart, get acid dipped, roll caged, dog boxed and be a Group N rally car. He's selling his Group 2 VW GTI, and his Dodge B350 "Battlewagon" to fund the campaign.

Sue's Honduh died, so she bought a '98 Passat . It's a great riding car, one that you don't get tired of driving. It doesn't have alot of bells and whistles to break, only an optional sunroof. Her Bug is still running great, driving great, and still looking good for not being garage kept. We had a hailstorm this past Wednsday night. Sue ran into the bedroom and got the big blanket off the bed and ran out the back door with it. I ran out behind her and we covered the Bug, not knowing if the car cover already on it would be enough. 8 minutes of dime-sized hail, and nothing was damaged .
'83 928S 4.7
Old April 4th 2004, 12:24
Administrator

Welcome Thomas. How do you like the Rust Bullet? I did a tech article on building a 914 dash panel, it is on the main page under More Tech. You might be able to put the small gauges in a group to the left of the tach, or a center console, maybe a 3 gauge bracket under the dash. I also did a seat coversion(2003 Celica GTS seats) and should have done an article on that but i was rushed to get them in and installed them the night before our Southeastern Dyno Day so I didn't take any pix.(shame on me)
I got put on a long term dosage of that drug too (Nocashatol). I have been pretty lucky at swap meets and picking up used stuff. Having your tools stollen sux, I hate thieves.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 4th 2004, 12:59

Vujade, you ever sort out what wheels your going to be running on the Fasty?
Has anyone ever seen a GL 411/412, I think they would be a little heavy but a cool looking GL.

Nick
Old April 5th 2004, 08:33

Ok, my progress (see also the thread in the engines section):

- Installed new headgaskets and timing belt on the EJ25
- hacked off pretty much the whole back end for clearance
- Got the kennedy adapter and installed the engine
- Hacked away pretty much the complete firewall for aircleaner clearance
- Bought a used wiring harness
- Bought a used MAF sensor (should be coming in today)
- Mounted the rad, only to find out I have to move it again

Things still to do:
- Get an electrical, in line fuel pump. (Any of you GTI guys have one lying around ?)
- Plumb fuel return line (may also the feed line, have to see how big it needs to be)
- Do the wiring
- Hook up the radiator
- Build cover for hole in firewall
- Build cover for radiator
- Get lexan rear quarter windows with naca ducts
- etc etc etc

...one day....

Rob.
Old April 5th 2004, 10:26

Talking

...all sounds really familiar.

What stage clutch did you decide to run? My buddy is recommending a stage 2 but says I will probably want to convert to hydro operation and ditch the cable.

Building fuel lines myself today, not really hard, just tedious and frustrating.
VKG Bastage child
Old April 5th 2004, 11:25

Hey Panel,

For now, I'm using the stock clutch.... no dinero for a good one yet.

What are you using for fuel lines ? I alreay had made a new line for the old engine and I used copper line that runs under the heaterchannel.
But I don't like the look of it. Are you running them under the bus ?

Also, (not sure if I asked this already), what are you using for a fuel pump ?

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic
...all sounds really familiar.

What stage clutch did you decide to run? My buddy is recommending a stage 2 but says I will probably want to convert to hydro operation and ditch the cable.

Building fuel lines myself today, not really hard, just tedious and frustrating.
Old April 5th 2004, 11:49

I've got it a little easier than you. On a bus, the tank is right in front of the engine so the lines are really short. I'm making up the braided one's with AN fittings (Russell pro-flex brand). -6 is the size my buddy said they use on buggies so that's what I used.
My whole package is pirated straight from what my buddy has set-up for buggies and they use a stock Volvo in-line pump. Apparently he researched and found that this one is good for what they are doing (can use the right fittings for AN, cost effective - I think $100-$115)
I understand dinero, My project budget was put on indefinate restriction last week because of new house.
VKG Bastage child
Old April 6th 2004, 02:52

The rust bullet still looks pretty good.....my feet are still on the pans...not the ground but it's kinda pricey too.....although I was told that it is actually cheaper than the famous POR-15.....

Yea I have read that article already, great info. However, one question though: How do I run the wires from the engine to the front? My biggest problem is the firewall..... I just don't know where the wires should go....

The seat are still in my room now.....they are really nice sofas at this point..... I hope I can finish putting them within a week or two...... I made the bracket parts already.... just need to put them together, and drill some holes on the stock seat tracks.......

Thanks for your info NO_H2O
Old April 6th 2004, 09:24
Administrator

I counted all the stuff I needed to wire in the engine bay andmade a twisted wire bundle, color coded it and with rubber gromets went under the package tray and thru the body above the torsion beam. I used a nylon spywrap and some clamps to protect and secure them. Then they run under the carpet along the tunel to the front.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 24th 2004, 19:16

Hey NO_H2O

Did you need to drill a hole to run the wires? I tried to run them today, and I tried to push the new wires through where the original wires are, on the left side of the engine bay. There's a big chunk of sponge over there........ couldn't get through....... Am I doing it the way you did it....? I must say I don't quite understand how you run them....

Thank you so much....
Old April 24th 2004, 23:43
Administrator

I went out under the back seat drillrd a hole and used a gromet to seal the hole. I used a nylon spywrap to protect the wire bundle and routed it along the side and secured it with a couple of adel clamps.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe