GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old January 19th 2005, 16:09

Dang, I thought I responded to this yesterday. Anyway, I'll try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisblau
If you have time till May, 1st I can take a lot of BAS muffler pictures at the "Maikäfertreffen"
Oh, I'll have time. I'm still in the fact-finding stage.
Quote:
On your car (The photo you posted) the muffler will fit about 90% or more and one exhaust tip will exit on the left
That's just it. I saw a picture in Keith Seume's book which exits at both outlets on a stock apron. It is reportedly a BAS exhaust. In fact, the picture is of an older standard Beetle with a Type IV engine. If I get the chance, I will post that picture.
Quote:
Now I have a question about your rear taillights! Are these original U.S. spec? Do they have a reflector on the side (yellow or red?) and are there any more differences to the Euro spec.? I am looking for them a long time in Germany, but they were not available.
Those taillights were US-only for the 1971 and 1972 model years. They are larger than the European counterparts, although not as large as the 1973-onward "elephant's feet."

The reflectors are red. Their size would dictate you needing an entire assembly. (Yellow or amber reflectors were for the front. They were incorporated in the fender-mounted indicators from 1971-79 in the states. Bumper-incorporated indicators were never officially offered in the states.)

The taillight assemblies are available here, still. Some aftermarket doodle makes lenses in that size in the European color configuration (amber/red/clear) but Volkswagen only ever offered them as red/red/clear.

I'll trade you two assemblies for a BAS exhaust.
Old February 17th 2005, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
I'll trade you two assemblies for a BAS exhaust.
Hmm... I don't know if it is a good deal :-) I have to sleep over it (It could take a very long time... :-) )

Thank you for your answer... I hope some of my friends visit the US and gets e some.

Norbert
Old February 17th 2005, 15:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
That's just it. I saw a picture in Keith Seume's book which exits at both outlets on a stock apron. It is reportedly a BAS exhaust. In fact, the picture is of an older standard Beetle with a Type IV engine. If I get the chance, I will post that picture.
I have that book and know the pic you are talking about .. its of a Blue and a Grey/Silver Oval, rear 3/4 shot showing the engines in both beetles.

The book says its a type 4, but the intake manifolds in the pic looks more like a T1, and BAS does have a header exiting the stock outlets for a T1. Pretty sure thats the case here.

Sandeep
Old February 17th 2005, 18:14

Yeah, Keith Seume doesn't do Type 4 engines in his books; at all...
Old February 18th 2005, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Yeah, Keith Seume doesn't do Type 4 engines in his books; at all...
I think you are referring to his engine modification book -- I don't have it and don't know the title of it.

One of his books, Custom Volkswagens or something like that, is an informationfest on different styles of customization. The chapter on the German Look also includes the French Look, and does mention Type IV engines. Now, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
I ... know the pic you are talking about.

The book says its a type 4, but the intake manifolds in the pic looks more like a T1, and BAS does have a header exiting the stock outlets for a T1.
That's interesting.

When the time comes, someone will have a something functional and attractive (if not actually exiting the apron cutouts). I am personally not going to spend that kind of money on a drivetrain only to have it look like a Saturn SUV while scraping the exhaust on driveways and such -- even if I have to commission a one-off to do it.

Difficult? Maybe. Pricey? Probably. Impossible? I may be an admitted technoklutz, but I haven't seen any evidence on why it would be.