GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old July 6th 2009, 02:34

time to introduce myself

well for nearly since the start of germanlook.com ive been lurking. as soon as i found this site, i fell inlove with it and always kept stoppin by to see what was new. ive been in love with the german look stuff since i seen it in that performance book that you can pick up at your usual book store.

my name is weston cook and am 27 yrs young. i grew up in colorado, and have moved to Utah now for 6months and i really like it here. well my first vw ever was when i was 17 yrs old, and it was a 71' super. that car changed it all for me, and i always knew my first car would be a vw and nothing else. well since then, ive owned ALOT of vws from old vw's from 55' the newest ive ever owned being a mk2 golf GTI. ive worked for some of the leading shops in the industry KCW (kustom coach werks) back in 2005, GVP (german vintage & performance outta Kingsland,Ga) in 2006, and a hand full of hot rod shops here and there.

well since my first super, ive always wanted another. thru time ive been just keeping ideas in my head and was always thinkin that IF i ever got another, id be sure to take it as far as i could with my talents that ive learned. well as of july 2, 2009 i bought THAT super that ive always been wanting. i sold what i had at the time (mk1 GTI with mods) to get into this super that i found. its a 74' 1303 super (witch ive wanted over the flat screen 1302 supers) and i bought it for $500. has a rebuilt motor from supposidly the previous owner, but i have yet to comfirm that as it doesnt run and the guy i got it from is just simply "car dumb". another AWSOME thing, is that the guy went to SOME junk yard and put some seats in it... well thoes seats came out of a "sport beetle", and there now in my super. yes it has the rare recaro sport seats front and back. (ill get pics up as soon as i can)

well as part of my into ill post cars that have gotten me known in the aircooled world as some you may have seen my cars and really havent known whos car they where.. well now you do... yep its me and ive been a german look lover in the closet about it for too long now and now that im out... its going to happen now! yes.. workin at the vw shops that ive had, ive gotten crap and flack for wanting to build a german look, mostly cause of the super beetle as there to most just throw away cars as well all know too well as our aircooled industry if OVERWHELLMED with cal look rides and drag bugs. not that its a bad thing cause it keeps the german look something way different here in the states! well ill get on with the pics. and ill be sure to start a new build thread on my super as i start to tear into it and make my dream car a realitly.

first car is my 66' that i built while i was at KCW.

heres the second one that i did, a standard 1976 bug... i did this one mostly to prove that a late model could look good and play with the big dogs as well! i think i proved my point. built this car from stock to what you see in these pics in a weeks time! (slammed, sheved trim, and painted)

heres was my project in Ga that i built when i was workin there. it was a 1957 oval, had to sadly sell it before i finished it.

so since i had to sell that choptop... the urge to build another one was always their, so i still had my 76' bug just sittin, so with it again being such a late model bug, i decited to make another volksrod outta it, but push my skills even more and really go for broke in how low i could really go. well so far with this car ive chopped the top 7inches, sechioned the body 5 inches, grafted a BUS split window frame and vizor into the windshild, and raized the engine and tranny a whopping 6 1/2 inches. it now only sits 36inches OVERALL hight! i now have some 21x4 inch ford model A wheels that im gonna put on it some how. in the pics i have them just mocked up next to the car. this car is still under construction.

and lastly my daily driver a 1958 ragtop. no air ride on any of my cars, and this car doesnt either, i drive this car everywhere and i love it. this car will be my casket when i die. dont ever really plan on ever gettin rid of it. yes its rusty, but when my super and choptop are done, then it will go under the knife for a good resto.

sorry for the really lonnnnnng into. i really dont post a lot in a lot in forums anymore. i kinda keep a low profile on the net. but here in the german look forum i love, and i wanted to start off on the right foot with everyone. i hope no one takes this as im just flaunting what ive done, please dont take it that way. all im doing is just showing what ive done in the past, and that i think i will build a respectable german look that will be around for a while. with my german look i want to fully explore the racing end of it as well as some drift events. i really want to take the super and show people that IT IS a contender intodays word with the right mods!

well thank you for your time. im glad to be FINALLY be apart of the movment of the german look.
Old July 6th 2009, 05:02

Welcome...
nice Rides
and there's ALOT od Race info on here for ya...

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old July 6th 2009, 08:45
Administrator

Welcome. We are glad to have you here. My first VW was a 72 1302 and I loved it. I fell for the GermanLook style before I knew what it was called. In 1987 I saw a 73 done in Gaurds Red, fat tires on Fuchs and a CCC whale tail. They guy worked at a local VW parts shop and I thought that his car had a nice Porsche 930 look. Years later I saw VW's done in "GermanLook" style. The look I liked now had a name. I bought another 72 1302 years later and it was on.
Lots to read here and the people are great. Keep the pix and updates coming.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 6th 2009, 09:43

thanks. ive already have done TONS of reading. like i said before, ive been a member for a long while now, ive just never really have posted anything. i like this site, and shoptalkfourms.com. i HATE...HATE the samba forums. only thing i use samba for is looking for stuff to buy. i like good forums that keep it real and answer any questions you may have with out degrading you or tellin you how it should be done. like i said, ill post pics up as soon as i get this car going. my plans are to have big brakes, turbod' type 4 on injection, slammed on some sweet staggered rims, and ive been thinkin of paintin it black but thats still a long ways away. and i also have some other tricks up my sleave as well. oh and i will be daily drivin this car as well. last winter i drove my 58 bug everyday, and havin a super for this winter will be SOOOO much nicer cause of all the creature comforts that it has in comparision to my 58. lol. like rear window defrost... ya! so ya im going to keep the heat in the car, and if i can afford it, gas heater it too. well off to work!
Old July 6th 2009, 13:00

good to have you,this site is still a wealth of info as are some of the members.NOH20 is very resourceful and i respect him and several others opinion on here.
Old July 6th 2009, 19:24

Hi

Welcome along, with your experience I can’t wait to see how you interpret the German Look.

I say interpret because unlike other forums and looks, its up to you what you do with your car.

There must be 100s of unmolested supers around these days, as they weren’t turned into buggies or Bajas etc.

May the struts be with you, Steve
Old July 6th 2009, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post

May the struts be with you, Steve
haha nice. and thanks guys for all the support. first things first will be to get the car running ofcorse, then get it all license and insured, then drive while i build it. the car is a sky blue,(yuck!)
so it may see a paint job before i start drivin it even. also a first thing on the agenda list, is to lower it. ive got an idea that i think will work out well, but before i post what it is, i wanna try it first to see if it will work out. if it does, then i may have figured out a cheap way for coilovers on a super here in the states rather than the pricey top line ones.
Old July 6th 2009, 19:57

also does anyone know where i can source the kamei front air dam...? i know aircooled.net used to carry them, but there here in UT, and i checked with one of there employes thats my friend, and he said ya, we got some, then we lost our supplier. thats why they are no longer sellin them. sucks cause i want one!
Old July 6th 2009, 20:54

Welcome! Looks like you've done quite a bit more cutting and welding than a few of us big project guys combined! I can appreciate the work that has to go into a volks rod and I can't wait to see what you can do with a super. That being said, you should get a project thread started

For a kamei spoiler I went to topline since they tend to stock a couple when there's a group buy. That's where I picked up both of mine.
Old July 6th 2009, 21:53

Hey I got my Carbonfiber one from Carbon Joe give him a Shout....
Email:
carbonjoe.ca.rr.com

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old July 7th 2009, 01:02

well heres an update... just got the car back to the house tonight. SOOOOO cant wait for the morning. im off work till friday... guess what im gonna do... yep... bust ass on it! first im gonna get the car running first. then go from there. tomarrow ill get a project thread going and post up some pics of the car! BTW... you guys are awsome!

so how much was your lip spiler from topline/ carbon joe?
Old July 7th 2009, 01:21

I got the kamei spoiler from topline for $150 and I think that included shipping but I could be wrong.
Old July 7th 2009, 03:23

Welcome Weston! I think thats the best intro of them all
You certainly have an interesting background. Glad to have you onboard and: don't loose contact with those girls
Old July 7th 2009, 12:06

hey Cookvw

I think that I paid about $210 $220
for my lip from Carbon joe it looks Great and WORKS very Well.

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old July 7th 2009, 14:15

Great to have you here!!! Even though your previous cars are a different style, the skills you've learned will easily translate into a crazy GLer I'm sure! That's what's nice about GL cars, they can handle the mods that make it fun, but with the goal of handling and speed, there's an extra challenge of actually making it fully functional and refined, and maybe even a little safe!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S