GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old October 5th 2005, 19:17

Bloodiest Shop Work Story Ever

So my wife was bustin' on me because I seem to keep hurting myself lately when working on projects. Thought I would throw it out here...What is your bloddiest shop story?

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old October 5th 2005, 21:55

got a good one.... while putting down the hardwood floor in our computer room i had to do alot of cutting and ripping with the circular saw. you should know where this is going already. anyways, i was ripping my last set of boards when i had some trouble . the rips were very thin and the first two had fallen to the floor as the saw finished the cut and broken. i only had 2 more matching boards left. i decided as the saw was finishing the cut this time i would grab the peices b4 they hit the floor and broke. so when the saw finished the cut i reached to grab them , only the saw wasnt finished cutting. it still had my middle and ring fingers left to cut. it did its job. i was scared to say the least b/c it was around 11 pm on a sat. not a good time to go to the E.R so i wrapped them in a towel b4 i even got a glance at them. i did see the floor however and it had a pretty big blood spatter on it. i finished the floor and hung the door while my wife was on the phone. i still had not looked at my fingers , or told my wife . i went through 3 shop rags b4 i got the courage to look. i was expecting to see two nubs. luckily the saw had only gotten the very tip ends of those fingers and the cut did not even require stitches, not that i would have gotten them anyway, so it worked out for the best . it did hurt like h#$$ for several days. so see there zen you havent lost any fingers have you ?
Old October 5th 2005, 23:45

A guy I worked with many moons ago in a shop in Waterford, MI was installing a windshield in a Beetle. Instead of using the string method to help the windshield along, he was using a screwdriver to push/pry/finagle the windshield/gasket assembly in.

The screwdriver slipped while he was pulling pretty hard

He stabbed himself in the eye kinda like that look there. Not a happy camper...and totally lost the eye.

Word from the wise. Use proper saftey equipment, methods and tools to get the job done. No need to wear permanent scars or disabilitys from our love for mechanical things.
Old October 5th 2005, 23:50

But on a lighter note...

Our office manager and I were talking this afternoon and she said the word 'boob' (as in mammary gland) and I remarked that she shouldn't be saying anything to me that she couldn't say to a priest. Then she said that she's said 'Peener' (Male sexual organ located in lower abdominal area) to her minister. I was kinda shocked.

The story was that her son was FINALLY getting potty trained and while he was tinkling...she heard the toiled seat slam down and him scream.

Yes...it was purple and flat

He was walking funny in church and the minister asked him if he was O.K. The minister asked him if he had a boo-boo and he said no and asked the minister if he would like to see his peener!

That had to be one of the funnier/painful stories I've heard in a while.
Old October 6th 2005, 01:17

I was grinding some metal bar on the bench grinder. The metal caught and took my fingers in with it. There is still a pie shaped scar on the side of my left index finger, which, incidently, was also slammed in a car door and ripped the nail off. It's my more abused finger, but it still works just fine.

The bad story:

I worked repairing pallets at a cement factory at one point in my life. We used a nail gun. I was the nailer that day. A friends father was working there as well. He wasn't wearing safety glasses, he was bend over at eye level at the same time one of my nails hit a knot in the wood, exploded, and a piece went into his eye and blinded him.

It gets worse, that was like 17 years ago. Just about a month ago I get a call from my mom. He still works at the same cement factory. He goes into this machine that I guess mixes everything up. I imagine a large chamber full of some sort of spinning, grinding spatulas or something. Anyway, each employee has a lock and a key. Before they work on equipment, you are supposed to lock out the power switch for that machine with your lock so it can't be turned on. You know what happens next. A guy comes back from lunch, there is no lock on the switch, he turns it on, my friends dad is killed instantly.

Always use the safety features! He didn't regularily enough that one of the owners once told my mom something would happen to him someday. It did.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 6th 2005, 08:28

when I was about 18 or 19 I was drilling thru some small pieces
of sheat metal and they were not in a vice. When the drill bit got
hung up and stopped spinning, it ripped the metal out of my hand
and then started to spin around slicing my hand open.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old October 7th 2005, 01:48

In HS Metal Shop was cleaning some weld on a test peice with a slag hammer. Somehow missed the test peice and got my thumb nail witht he tiped part of the hammer....split it all open and bleeding everywhere!!
Old October 7th 2005, 10:44

I don't have any excessively bloody stories per se, but I do seem to shed blood every time I do something more complex than change the oil. I finally just told my wife that the car gods demand some sort of blood sacrifice as payment for trespassing on their domain; and if blood wasn't spilled, the repair would be a failure, only to be propitiated by spilling even more blood on the re-repair.

So far, it's as good an explanation as any.

R2.0
Old October 7th 2005, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt+f4
In HS Metal Shop was cleaning some weld on a test peice with a slag hammer. Somehow missed the test peice and got my thumb nail witht he tiped part of the hammer....split it all open and bleeding everywhere!!
I've had a narrow miss with molten slag almost going in my eye. Ended up sizzling the skin just next to my eye. The tip of the slag hammer really sends things off on an acute angle!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 7th 2005, 18:00

Worst incident I've had is slipping with the box cutter and getting my finger when opening the crate for my new motor, knock on wood. It wasn't a long or deep cut, but it wanted to bleed for awhile. I'm usually pretty cautious in the garage. I guess the excitment just got to me...
Old October 7th 2005, 19:41

I broke a fingernail workin' on a dump truck today.

'83 928S 4.7
Old October 7th 2005, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent
I've had a narrow miss with molten slag almost going in my eye. Ended up sizzling the skin just next to my eye. The tip of the slag hammer really sends things off on an acute angle!

Jason
I hear you there... I'm in school for welding now. Even with safty glasses, hot slag can still hit your face or run down your shirt. Something just as bad, maybe worse, Doing overhead welds with MIG. I have the holes in my welding jacket to prove the spatter burns on it's way down.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old October 8th 2005, 09:31

Laying under my bus using a 4" grinder, not a lot of room between the bottom of the bus and me and the ground. The grinder took a bounce, I had no where to run, it hit my shoulder and wadded up the two t-shirts I had on, chewed through them and took a chunk out of my delt before it finally had enough fabric and skin to bog the motor and stop spinning.
I went next door (my neighbor is big into ricers and was out tinkering too) and asked my buddy "how bad does this look?"... he told me he wasn't sure, but it looked pretty narly (I don't think narly is good). I asked if he had any super glue handy and he said "sniffin that stuff ain't gonna help"... kids today. Anyway, it was a gouge with a chunk missing so there was nothing to glue together (or back on). Still itches today.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old October 8th 2005, 10:24

Actually, I cut the 2nd. knuckle on my right middle finger to the bone last month, prying the lock rod out of a Tahoe door handle. Rod came out, and my prying hand went down, caught a metal edge, cut me, and ruined a silver dollar sized section of my man's upholstery. I looked at my hand, balled up into a fist, I could see bone and tendons.

It sucked having to work with it for two weeks untill it healed enough to keep it un-bandaged.

Sorta like Vujade, I've drilled a hole in my left index finger 'bout 2 weeks ago. It happened with a no.2 phillips driver, and a self-drilling, self-tapping sheetmetal screw. The puncture was a perfect +. That was a joy to have thru work as well.

I shed blood, or burn myself almost daily, but small catastrophies only happen about once every few years, or so. Luckily, I haven't had a MAJOR catastrophy.
'83 928S 4.7
Old October 9th 2005, 18:09

I just cut myself last thursday quite good with the angel-grinder and that was no fun.

Wiebrand