GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 6th 2010, 18:26

69' IRS suspension / chassis setup questions...

So what are the thoughts on the following for a 69' Beam Based IRS Chassis setup? Bilstein Front and Rear (B46-0620-H0 / B46-0034-H0 ), 23.5 MM 944 Rear Torsion, 944T Rear Arms, Full 5pt Custom KaferBrace, 22mm Over the Top Front Adjustable Swaybar, 19mm adjustable rear Swaybar (polyeuro bushings throughout the entire chassis) Full Rollcage with 4 pot brembos front and rear with balance bar... What am I missing, what do I need to know?

Also how about not using "adjustable" same size swaybars? Are adjustables really all they are cracked up to be?

anyone?
Old January 8th 2010, 06:30

Hi, Happy New Year!

I would leave the rear sway bar off initially and gauge the handling. The rear sway bar should be used to trim out the understeer that the front bar will induce and the amount of trimming will depend on a number of variable factors incl tyre grip, ride height settings, corner weights, driving style etc. The standard rear 944 torsion bar will stiffen the roll in any case and may provide what you are looking for without a sway bar.

As regards adjustable sway bars - yes they are useful. If you think of the sway bar as being able to final tune the basic suspension then adjustable sway bars provide a fine tuning facility to finish the set up. I am not a fan of the 'adjustable' sway bars that consist of a number of holes in the flattened end of the bent sway bar as a) the adjustment is crude, which defeats the object of the fine tuning and b) the holes weaken the bar such that uncontrolled bending can occur when the load is applied and failure is a potential on a poorly maintained bar. The best adjustable bar is a blade adjustable one that can even have the adjustment dialed in on the move as in the best circuit racers or to have a clamp arrangement on a plain round bar both of which are infinitely adjustable within limits.

Clive
Old January 8th 2010, 13:41
Administrator

Quote:
22mm Over the Top Front Adjustable Swaybar
I'm interested to know more about this swaybar. Can you provide photos or links to what you're talking about?

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old January 8th 2010, 18:29

Dave,
Have a look here: http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/vie...SS0002&cartid=

"$219.95 - You can completely dial on your chassis tuning by using an adjustable stiffness front and rear swaybar. This is the RACE VERSION (very stiff)front bar kit that goes over the TOP of your trailing arms for maximum ground clearance."

I've not used it and was looking for more information but can't seem to find much of anything.
I was told by a local kat that this is the best bit i can get for the type of driving i like to get up to.
Old January 8th 2010, 23:31

Jmd,

Those colors look like the Aussie company, Whiteline.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/

There may be more info on their site.
VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old January 13th 2010, 16:06

more research leads me to believe that this setup wont allow me to have any level of adjustability in the shocks themselves... can anyone confirm or offer up suggestions as to a better choice for height-adjustability without going full on coilover?
Old January 13th 2010, 16:24

adjustable height will either have to be an adjustable beam or coil overs. im going to be running an adjustable beam (height) with adjustable shocks (adjustability for damping)

shame whiteline dont do the narrowed ball joint rollbars any more
Old January 13th 2010, 19:01

I have the adjustable front beam but want just a little more adjustability than that. what suspension/shock package are you running dub_crazee?
Old January 21st 2010, 17:32

my car isnt finished yet - but it will be running a custom 80mm narrowed & adjustable beam, CB dropped spindles and adjustable avo shocks.

what are you trying to achieve exactly?
Old January 21st 2010, 18:17

overall I am trying to just have a level of configuration in the ride height of the car, not so much as lower but adjustable. In addition I am wanting to play with the setup of my car. I am building a little different of a rig than your typical vw beetle bodied plaything. I don't have the advantage of the body weight as my body weights lots less so I need to be careful using the standard suspension setup as the body weight won't be the same...