GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 27th 2009, 22:34

Question...

I'm thinking about an Ej20t or Ej20Tt conversion for my '61 bug, i found some nicely looking and good priced engines in New Jersey(ebay.com) under 1000$... but without ECU. Ofcourse no wiring... what do you guys think would cost me an aftermarket... or original ecu if I can find one, for a 96-98 legacy or impreza engine. I'm thinking about the TT engine, I'm interested, because now I'n in USa, and I want to buy the engine from here, and send it to Romania, my home country, and continue to work there on the car, but I want to buy what I need, when I'm here... knowing about the things I should know. And the other question... what do you guys think about the CSP pro street transmissions? Would one of those work for a 200-220 HP scooby... with normal usage? I've seen around here guys running on bug trannies... maybe not for long Just questions... and about the brakes... if I would use a stock engine, not tuned... new disk brakes... would be enough? not porsche... and other expensive things... because i'm on bugget... and tryibng to get it working... not loosing it in details...
Old December 28th 2009, 02:02

G'day
For me , personally, I wouldn't touch the twin turbo engines. The Subaru guys down here won't touch them, & the majority that do convert them to a single turbo & make more power, why I don't know.

I purchased my engine without an ecu & I purchased an aftermarket one which unleashes lots of power with masses of tuning potential. Plus u get rid of the pesky AFM on the standard engine with an after market ecu which causes a lot of dramas on the standard engine.
i only run 8psi boost & have 204hp & 221ft torque at the wheels. More than enough for me. it's now been going for 5 years this Xmas & I have put over 150'000ks (93'000miles) on the conversion.

As for the gearbox, I have a single side plate box (1303) in my car, just rebuilt with kombi gears as they have a taller 4th 0.82 & are course teeth 3rd & 4th. I just put 65'000klm (40'300miles) on it before 4th gear let go, but thats because I was stupid enough to go drag racing. I had 2 built so I just put the spare in whilst the other one is rebuilt.

That 65'000ks includes daily driving & about 20 track days (supersprints) as well as 3 drag events. I think people underestimate the humble vw gearbox.
unless u drive like an idiot all the time a rebuilt vw gearbox will handle the power.

hope this helps
regards
jak

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6

Last edited by jakriz; December 28th 2009 at 02:07. Reason: stoopid spelling
Old December 28th 2009, 15:00

Thanx. It helps. Can you write more about the gearbox, with parts,... costs if possible...i'm trying to find out if it would be cheaper than a CSP prostreet gearbox.
Old December 28th 2009, 15:02

and some pricing for the ecu?
Old December 28th 2009, 15:39

My gearbox cost isn't a good example for u as my gearbox builder charges me less than half of what others are here in Australia. So thats no good to u.

The ECU is a Microtech, it was $1000 5 years ago. http://www.microtech-efi.com/product/9.html

i also have the dash unit http://www.microtech-efi.com/product/2.html which for the price is incredible value.

regards
Jak

Old January 2nd 2010, 20:26

thanx, I've found some options on the internet for gearboxes, now let'ssee what can we do about the motor.... I do have a EA82 subaaru engine, wwith 100 k miles on it, it runs just fine, it is a SPFI,... irfr I'm not wrong, and I was wondering ...what about that conversion with a weber something carb instead of injection...That is just an ideea... the ideal would be the WRX... anyone knows anything about these engines... EA82... and the weber choice .. I've found something on the net... progressive carb kit for my car for just under 300$... anybody tried that? Or I should still find an engine (WRX) with wiring harness and factory ecu for the biginning and funding problems/...
Old January 2nd 2010, 22:38

For me, I think that a hot vw engine would be better then the EA82 with carbs.
if u are going to go to the trouble of putting a radiator in your beetle, u may as well make it worth your while & do it properly first time.
regards
Jak

Old January 3rd 2010, 07:00

Kafer_cj,

stay away from EA series because they are far old and especially in Greece is hard to find aftermarket parts.
I should recommend the EJ series because they are 16v, injection and much much reliable from the EA.

If you dont want to spend much money for stand alone ECU and want your engine to look more like aircooled you must see this nice thread from shoptalkforums.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...4ce9129e287ccb

cu,
Jimmy

Last edited by Jim; January 3rd 2010 at 07:06.
Old January 3rd 2010, 17:20

Thanx, i just wander if the EA would be hassle free, for installation, compared to the EJ, and that's why I was thinking about the EA modified to carb, since I still have the engine, and I could buy the rebuld parts if I would like for the engine from here the US, cheap. But if I'll have the money... I will do the EJ20T... if no funds for that I think I'll give a try to the EA that I already have in my car... buy the way... i'm not too far from you when home... Romania...
Old January 3rd 2010, 17:42

I agree that a good value for money for the bug is the EJ20T conversion.
Here in Greece you can find complete engine with harness and ECU for 1500 euros!!

Dont forget to keep us posted for you progress in EA build...

cu neighbor!
Jimmy
Old January 3rd 2010, 23:55

I'll start a topic when I'll start mybuild... until now.. the bug is painted.. and the bodywork is mostly done... by the way ... a pic or two... on the way home from the painter..

http://picasaweb.google.com/EPE66VW/...letikEgyBogar#
Old January 3rd 2010, 23:58

Well, i'll see what else can be done... I just want to know as much as I can before deciding what to do...
Old January 4th 2010, 03:20

most people would stick with a vw engine over an EA

EA81 even though only a pushrod engines are much better than the EA82

subarus first attempt at OHC engines werent a raging sucess
Old January 4th 2010, 12:39

I still hope to find a way moneywise to do a EJ20T conversion, for my bug. If no, I thought about just selling this car I have, and buy a junk-yard legacy engine for 140$ here in Cleveland... and do the carb conversion from the shoptalkforums... I'll think about it, and fight for a job... hopefully the summer will be better in terms of jobs around here... talking about the better paid construction jobs...
Old January 5th 2010, 00:54

My personal opinion is to stay away from the carbs and stick to EFI . Carbs are too touchy . EFI has better drivability , has more power in more conditions , and has better fuel economy . It may be harder to set up originally , but in the end , it is way better . Just my thought , but I am a professional mechanic .