GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 3rd 2004, 15:51

GL Buses and Karmanns (where can I get more info!?)

Hi Everybody!
I´m newly registered to the forum, altough I saw lots of threads I wanted to know where i can get more info/pics/anything about GL Buses and Karmanns!!!
I´m the owner of a 1958 Kombi and a 1958 Karmann Ghia Coupe. Both cars are going under restoration.

What offset should I go for if I want to fit 17 x 7 wheels on a stock front and rear brake drums and suspension? I´m planning to redrill the drums to fit 205/40/17 tires all around on both my cars.
Would the offset be the same for my KG as for my Kombi?

I saw a site a few days ago with graphic charts showing a standard Beetle size fender with most wheels options (mahle Gas Burner, different widths Fuchs,etc.) but I can´t remeber how I got there... Can anybody help me? I think that was a german site...

Any help will be appreciated!
Feel free to emailme: vintagevw@datafull.com

Juan

Last edited by Juan; February 3rd 2004 at 15:52. Reason: feel free to email!
Old February 5th 2004, 11:57

Jeff is the only bus in the works at the moment that I can think of,
You can veiw some of his pictures HERE or do a search for 'Panelfantastic'
Adrian Pillow is the only other person that has a bus that has had a great deal of work done (mostly engine & chassis) search 'pillow'

I have a 71 bus but nothing real big done yet

You want to do a search for the ghia ideas, there are a few owners here.

I hope this helps.

Rob.
Old February 5th 2004, 13:14

Juan, welcome!
My project is GL but very very extreme, lots of fabricated parts and lots of permanant modification (thanks for the mention, Rob). Adrian's (Pillow on here) project is more real world and he is trying to use as many "regular" parts as possible (stuff that can be bought at the salvage yard and bolted right on). He's done a bunch of trial and error on wheel fitting and could give great tips, unfortunately, I think he's been workin' his butt off lately and hasn't had much time for posting.

Jeff.
VKG Bastage child
Old February 6th 2004, 02:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan
I wanted to know where i can get more info/pics/anything about GL Buses and Karmanns
Hi Juan, and welcome. The only book I know that mentions German Look at all is Keith Seume's Custom Volkswagen (partial title). That book only explores Beetles and Super Beetles, and only one chapter is devoted to the German Look and the French Look. Nevertheless, it may give a good accounting of what one might do to a KG or a Type 2.

I would also suggest European magazines such as VolksWorld and maybe VW Scene, although the latter caters to water- and air-cooled VWs alike. Sometimes in the former, it is worth your while to pay attention to the Rat Look. The Rat Look is scruffy and downtrodden in appearance but many of those blokes are very sophisticated in the performance end of their VWs.

Internet sources such as right here are the best bet. Don't forget forums which are dedicated to Ghias and Buses. You will find owners who aren't GLing their ride, but have crossed over to an aspect of the German Look in their project.
Old February 14th 2004, 15:01

Thanks a lot guys for the info!!! I'm from overseas and there're no GL cars around here, so I'm trying to learn everything from this forums. I just started to do the body work on my '58 Kombi and it would be lowered and have some other mods I will try to get nice photos to post as soon as I can!
Cheers!!!
Juan