GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 9th 2002, 00:33
TitoRay

Hmmm. This makes me wonder. So, my '72 SB is lowered 2 inches. Right now, it has 15 inch wheels (not sure how wide will check tomorrow) and are running 195/50's in the front. The wheels are the Chrome Smoothie type. When I turn the wheel to the right, the outside edge of the LEFT front tire rubs against the fender. This is strange because no matter where else I turn the wheel the RIGHT tire never rubs. It looks as if it is just a shape abnormality in the front left fender but I am not sure. Anybody else have any ideas?
Old September 9th 2002, 00:57
Superman

I have had that EXACT same problem and believe it is due to differences between stock and aftermarket fenders.
Old September 9th 2002, 09:07
Administrator

Question Weird

I have the same problem....tires rub on left outside fender...but not on right....standard beetle, lowered 4 inches in front, with 195/50 15's.....

WTF ?

Sandeep
Old September 9th 2002, 23:34
Superman

Perhaps it's because we sit (the extra weight) on the left side?
I'd like to know if the RHD cars have this problem but on the right?
Old September 11th 2002, 07:05

believe it or not, all 3 RHD standard bugs that i have personally lowered myself and fitted with wider rims, have all had less clearance on the left side too!!! go figure?? the issue is not with the actual ride height being lower on one side, all 3 cars sat even.. but its just that there seems to be more track on the left side... very strange... nearly everyone ive spoken to about this, has experienced the same thing. on my blue bug i solved the problem by running excessive negative camber and rims with the correct offset for the width...
Old September 12th 2002, 02:37
Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by bren
i solved the problem by running excessive negative camber
Same here. Well, we can exclude the weight of the driver... more research...
Old September 17th 2002, 08:01

I can verify that too, my bug has less clearance on the left front than ont he right front. I had put it down to pattern wings. It's a '73 standard RHD...
Old September 17th 2002, 10:13

I think I am the exception to the rule guys, my front left has less clearance than the right. I remember because I had to 'roll' in the front left wing more than the right with some mole-grips to stop it rubbing during hard cornering. It wasn't great for the paint, but then I don't really care about that!
Old September 17th 2002, 16:09
TitoRay

It looks like that is the same problem I have except for on the left fender(wing). I was worried about cracking the paint but now it is so messed up from the tire I don't really care.
Old September 17th 2002, 22:30
Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Percival
I think I am the exception to the rule guys, my front left has less clearance than the right
If it's the left front with less clearance then that is the same problem we all seem to have.
Old September 21st 2002, 10:44

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman
If it's the left front with less clearance then that is the same problem we all seem to have.
My '62 convertible, rubs on the left side. It drives my crazy.

I have two guesses:

1) There is probably alot of slop between the body and the pan and with the rubber seal in it is hard to move around to center. Were all of these body off resto cars? ( I assume I don't have the same capabilty as the VW Factory to place the body on the pan.)When we set the body on it was a little off to the drivers side, i just let the bolts draw it into place, maybe not perfectly.

2) I have a narrowed beam, Done professionally, but I don't know how accurate the fixturing is?

Just my two cents.

-Russ

'56 GL Oval
'62 Cal Conv.
Old September 22nd 2002, 03:42
TitoRay

I examined my fenders a little more closely today. Take a look at the attachment. Observe where the yellow circle is. On my car the fender curves in sooner and farther in this spot than on the other side. That is what is causing the rubbing on my car. Anybody else? Oh, and I am pretty sure my fenders are not the originals.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 2_72.bmp (55.1 KB, 48 views)
Old September 22nd 2002, 08:19
Superman

Mine rubs more on the top part of the fender's arch than where you have noted.
Old September 23rd 2002, 02:53
TitoRay

Dang it, I wish I had a digital camera...then it would all be so easy!!
Old September 23rd 2002, 20:27

I've got a RHD 71 super that's lowered about 2 inches and rubs on the right side. The car also sits lower on the right side at the rear too so I have wondered if this affects the attitude of the car at the front.

Chris how easy was it to 'roll' the guard. The wheels are 15*6 and the tyres 185/65 and finish flush with the guard. Currently the right side rubs too much - even under gentle cornering so I'll have to do something about it.

Jeremy