GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old October 29th 2015, 22:58

GL Meyers Manx Signature #85

Hello All,
I am going to start a thread on my Meyers Manx project. It was originally purchased to share the build with my 14 year old daughter. When I was 15 I was working and decided to spend my money on a Meyers Manx about 1970. I did however forget to tell my parents. So when the body came to the house it took a couple weeks for them to decide that it could be a cool project with our Dad. I wanted to continue and do it with my daughter. The body took over two years to deliver and by that time she just wanted a car with A/C and windows.

The body sat on the top of the pallet rack at the shop for several years then I decided to build it. I started with a Berrian frame and decided to make it a Pikes Peak race car. I bought a set of front and rear suspension from Mendeola and in a sign of the times then it took a very long time to get them. In the mean time I dug out a 930 transmission I had on a pallet from another project.

I commissioned a well known Subaru fabricator to build a turbo system that was similar to the set up on the Porsche RSR Turbo from 1973. This fabrication ended up with beautiful welds but some rather interesting lapses of intelligence, like it was all built on a bare block without the front accessories. This meant you could either bolt on the bracket to hold the dry sump system or you could bolt on the factory oil pump that is needed for pressure. So then the other issue became clearance to the harmonic balancer he never used. As a result this engine project was pushed aside as I went back to work to pay for the great job. About the same time, the powers that be decided the car would run in the Unlimited class against the $8 Million Dollar Peugeot that Sebastian Loeb ran at Pikes. Manx out of that race.

So in 2015 I pulled it out again to finish it up and put the 2.3 Type IV I had for sale here in it. I will show a bunch of photos from various stages, various seats, various wheels, engines etc. I have learned that time is my enemy as I change my mind more than any woman I know. Also as the years have gone by I have been working hard and suddenly a really cool part comes out. Not that it replaces a crappy part, it's just cooler. So in comes another change.

So here are the specs as I hope to roll it out the door before the end of the year.

Chassis
Berrian chassis with front end and rear frogs cut off, originally to squeeze the 930/Suby in.
Mendeola front and rear suspension with Fox coil over shocks
OBP Aluminum Pedal group, hydraulic clutch and brake, bias adjustable, cable throttle
OBP Drift brake

Interior
Recaro Profi XL seats
Shroth Endurance 6 point belts
996 yellow standard belts
Spa Dash

Suspension and Brakes
Mendeola front and rear suspension
Fox shocks
Performance Friction 2 piece front rotors Cayman S
Brembo rear Cayman S rotors
Front and rear 4 piston Brembo Porsche brake calipers

Wheels and Tires
996 TT hollow spoke wheels 8 front, 11 rear / 18 inch
Tires Falken Azenis front 245 rear 315/18 inch

If I think of anything else I will adjust this. I will post pictures as I can off of Photobucket.

Thanks
Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old October 30th 2015, 06:15

Sounds great, looking forward to seeing some pics
Old December 3rd 2015, 21:31

Old December 3rd 2015, 21:41

the original engine was going to be a 450 + hp Subaru STi with a 930 transmission with the car built for a Pikes Peak run. After being put into the unlimited class, I decided to use the engine transmission in a better chassis if I am going to run Pikes. So I am putting a 2.3L T4 that I already had into it. Notice the chassis and torsion tube were cut to accept the 930. The Suby engine design was patterned by the 1973 RSR Turbo shown here...

Old December 3rd 2015, 21:46

The chassis was based upon a Berrian frame with a Mendeola suspension grafted on. Looking forward to seeing if it performs up to the level it is promoted. Some more chassis shots here...

Old December 3rd 2015, 21:54

Front shots...

Old December 3rd 2015, 21:56

another...

Old December 4th 2015, 07:13

What a mean machine!
Old December 10th 2015, 12:00

Looks like progress!! Awesome job Randy! I just now realize how short that wheelbase is,you´ll have your hands full with that one!
Old December 10th 2015, 21:25

12 inches shorter wheelbase than a Beetle. I always waver when in the shop to just put the STi engine in it and be terrorized every drive...
Old December 13th 2015, 06:59

That is totally bad-ass!
Old December 19th 2015, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRSi View Post
12 inches shorter wheelbase than a Beetle. I always waver when in the shop to just put the STi engine in it and be terrorized every drive...
If it is already set up for it including all the water stuff,why not?
Old July 17th 2016, 01:23

Why not Mark? Because some guy in Germany got me hooked on a set of Remmele billet heads. Starting that engine in August as my SCAT billet 86mm crankshaft just came in. So push Edi for the rest of the goodies and maybe we can be on the road in September! Thanks for all your help!
Old July 19th 2016, 10:34

LOL! Make me look like a crack dealer!
Old July 21st 2016, 14:16

And Remmele parts are not crack? Looking forward to finally having my years of T4 engine parts put together. Many of which like my case and Nickies were purchased here 10 years ago and have been waiting for the right bits to go with them. Went 86mm on the Scat crank so with the 102 Nickies will be about 2.8L. Decided on the WASP header if for no other reasons than it developed great horsepower and the sight of it hanging out the back of a Manx should be cool. Do you think Stage 2 for better scavenging or Stage 3 for flow? Talk soon. Looking forward to your visit to Edi next month...