GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old July 24th 2006, 10:09

My project

Some may remember me asking about this awhile back.... Well I got it!!

And here she is after my own outdoor paint job and engine and suspension swap from my totalled bug. I dont think I did to bad of a job.

Not completely finished yet... but will be soon enough!
Old July 24th 2006, 12:56

I'm digging it. Some may shun the custom work the previous owner did to the front end but I actually like it. You are the only one with it and you'll stand out thats for sure. Did you do the strut swap yet or are you riding high up front now? How hard is it to install the rear windows because I am about to replace the window seals on my new 73 sedan.
Old July 24th 2006, 15:23

I swapped the suspension but for some reason it didnt drop at all... I dont know what the problem is! I was trying to post on SBO but I cant. I thought someone might be able to give me the answer as to why it wont come down.

As for the windows, I havent put in the back, but will be doing it this week. I will let you know how hard it is as soon as I do it!
Old July 24th 2006, 17:18

The rear window is a two person affair with some string. One on the outside pushing around the edges, and the other inside pulling the string. You put the string in the seal groove closest to the inside lip, and pull it slowly out from the inside while the outside person pushes against the glass. Some soapy water helps too.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old July 24th 2006, 17:37

Did you fit the tank yet?

tank, gas, ans soare tyre contribute to the drop... also try racking the car back and forthand shaking it a bit to get the suspension to set properly

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old July 24th 2006, 19:18

looks like it coming along very well.
Old July 26th 2006, 20:07

Alright, here is my problem...

I swapped the lowering suspension out of my 74 and into my 73. When it was in my 74 the front was low! Now that I swapped it into my 73 it doesnt lower it at all.

I was told that the only thing I needed to swap over was my control arms with the suspension. So that is what I did.

I thought that maybe since I got a little carried away with lowering the back, that that may have had something to do with it. Even when I raised it back up it stayed the same.

I am using the Adjust-A-Strut setup. On the lowest setting. Nothing is bumping or anything. I hope this all made sense. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate the help.

-E

This is how it sat in my 74...
Old July 26th 2006, 22:42

Hey gsusmaniac:
Judging from the distance of the rim to the fender arch in both pics it looks like the lowered suspension kit is doing what it's supposed too. The ride height of the front of both cars looks pretty much the same. You could be picking up on an optical illusion due to the "In the weeds" nature of the rear of your car. I mean it looks like you could dig up those reflectors on the center of the highway with the rear of that car! With the reverse rake you have going on it is going to push the nose in the air a bit. Try raising the rear a bit to see if this makes things look more even. Also it looks like you are running a lower profile tire on the front of your '73 than you were on the '74.
Your car is looking good! I agree with Phat73VW I like the PO's addition to the front. I also agree with beetle1303, once you get some weight back up front you'll notice a big change. Heck, when I would fill up with gas my tires used to rub the front fenders. Nice job!
Old July 27th 2006, 07:49

Thanks cain... I see what you mean. I raised the back and yes, it does appear to be like my old one. I didnt realize lowering the back would do that. I will keep it updated with my progress.