GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old November 21st 2008, 13:13

Wow. That's some great info. Thanks EvilC. I am curious, though, on the part where you talk about welding the 944 arm's pivot bracket onto the vw torsion tube. I thought that if you replaced the the 944 arms bushing with one from a beetle it would bolt right up to the stock beetle mounts.
Old November 21st 2008, 13:55

being across the pond, most of their beetles were swingaxle which requires an inner pivot to be added if you convert to IRS rear suspension.

If you already have an IRS bug, you will simply need to use VW sized swingarm bushings installed into the 944 arms.

Rob
Old November 21st 2008, 18:26

I think EvilC referred to something else: mounting the Anti-roll bar from the Porsche to your bug requires cutting the brackets off the Porsche torsion housing, and welding them to the bug torsion housing.
You are going to need to add some material, because the anti-roll bar needs to clear the chassis fork.
In my case, the Anti-roll bar bushing sits at exactly 6,5cm away from the torsion housing.
Old November 24th 2008, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by helowrench View Post
being across the pond, most of their beetles were swingaxle which requires an inner pivot to be added if you convert to IRS rear suspension.

If you already have an IRS bug, you will simply need to use VW sized swingarm bushings installed into the 944 arms.

Rob
Exactly, thanks Rob. I forgot about the differences but the rest still applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellex View Post
I think EvilC referred to something else: mounting the Anti-roll bar from the Porsche to your bug requires cutting the brackets off the Porsche torsion housing, and welding them to the bug torsion housing.
You are going to need to add some material, because the anti-roll bar needs to clear the chassis fork.
In my case, the Anti-roll bar bushing sits at exactly 6,5cm away from the torsion housing.
That as well. Thanks Xellex.

evilC
Old November 28th 2008, 15:09

EvilC,

Do you have a pic of the pvc thick washer you made, I had a similiar idea to also do this to push out the spring plates just slightly to clear the chassis.

Would be curious to see how yours came out. Do you still have use of the chassis so that it serves as the lower stop for the plates, or are they pushed out beyond that..

Any info appreciated.
VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old November 28th 2008, 15:10

Xellex,

You can also purshase the brackets from pelicanparts.com. if you don't have access to a porsche.

VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old November 28th 2008, 18:48

Hi

The outer clamp on the 944 rear stabiliser bar is the same as a 71-73 1302/1303 front stabiliser clamp, another example of VW & Porsche sharing the parts bin.

I saw these Kersher ones somewhere on the net, they look kind of low but it could be the angle of the camera.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kersher stabilisatormount.jpg (22.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Kersher stabilisatormount.1.jpg (54.7 KB, 17 views)
Old November 29th 2008, 21:16

I made mine out of the original Porsche brackets, and some extra metal. I copied the Kerscher design. I used the porsche clamp & bushing, because the inner diameter of the bushing is different (smaller) compared to the beetle one.

What do you guys think would happen if you don't use a spacer washer at the torsion plate bushings, and let those 2 adjuser nuts rub on the inside of the chassis? I'm gonna try and see... I don't think there's any danger in that, only maybe some squeaking sounds. Could we grind some small portion of the chassis, in that area maybe?

Last edited by Xellex; November 29th 2008 at 21:22.
Old December 1st 2008, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug@5speed(US) View Post
EvilC,

Do you have a pic of the pvc thick washer you made, I had a similiar idea to also do this to push out the spring plates just slightly to clear the chassis.

Would be curious to see how yours came out. Do you still have use of the chassis so that it serves as the lower stop for the plates, or are they pushed out beyond that..

Any info appreciated.
VR
Alex
Alex, Have a look at my avatar - thats the finished product if you can blow it up big enough (I'm useless at posting piccys). The Pvc washers were the same inner diameter as the spring plate tube and the outer diameter was the same as the alloy bush housing so that they effectively together made up the difference in width between the beetle bush and the 944 bush, which IIRC is 10mm.
The chassis stop plate still functions (just) with the inner washer only in place, in fact the piccy again shows the spring plate sitting on the chassis.

evilC
Old December 1st 2008, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellex View Post
What do you guys think would happen if you don't use a spacer washer at the torsion plate bushings, and let those 2 adjuser nuts rub on the inside of the chassis? I'm gonna try and see... I don't think there's any danger in that, only maybe some squeaking sounds. Could we grind some small portion of the chassis, in that area maybe?
They didn't rub on mine - the edge of the adjuster heads dug into the forged damper tower and I could see that if I left it something would give, the bolt head and/or the damper tower would be damaged. As I said previously, the spacer is 5mm and the bolt head clearance is 1mm, hence there is a 4mm interference.

evilC
Old December 2nd 2008, 17:42

fastBacker,
I have an extra set of 86' 944T Alu arms if your interested as well as a full set of Cross Drilled Rotors available that are NIB... Asking $350.00 for the package... Let me know if this will help you in your build.
oh, im in the states.