GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old March 1st 2015, 23:05

3 liter type IV in a 1303

Good evening, are there any member with a 3 liter type IV in a super beetle. Pics of the install.
Old March 2nd 2015, 05:28

I can't upload any from my phone,but I can tomorrow when I am at home on my pc. What do you want to know?
Old March 2nd 2015, 09:41

Hay Mark, I'd like to know how much of a head ache it's going to be. The heads like the. Remmele and Engine Plus are supposed to aid in that crammed install, but how about a regular 2.0?

I am still gathering parts for it, only rockers and push rods are left. O, I need to find a way to make the serpentine belt adjust.

And then I noted the lower oil pickup from Autocraft. I will be able to keep my oil system exrernal. Further Pauter has a oil pump that I'm very interested in. I have the 36mm revmaster that would do the job, but that's internal.

Mark, if you will, seeing pictures of the install will give me a head's up as to what to expect, in the way of headache.
Old March 2nd 2015, 15:52

Hey Francelle, building the engine itself is a headache. A lot of work to the case is required,not only to make room for the crank,but also optimizing airflow and crank case ventilation. That is extremely important. 2 liter heads are a poor choice for anything above 2.7 Liters. 240hp is the limit on reliable power with those heads, naturally aspirated.
Remmele has a new billet head that I will be using. Kind of like the Scat Splitports, only much much better and bigger. There will be a "light version" coming soon that is only slightly larger than the stock 2 liter heads. Both designs have type 1 style exhaust ports and type 1 headers can be used In combination with Remmele flanges because the heads have 4 mounting holes instead of 2. Piston design is also crucial to keep the engine from getting too wide. Remmele's 3 Liter engines aren't any wider than the average 2332 type 1.
Old March 2nd 2015, 23:08

Mark are you still going to show pics? I save them for comparison and motivation.

Last edited by effvee; March 6th 2015 at 09:51.