GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 13th 2007, 00:21

Yep, the 034 ECU has a variable temp trigger. I'm looking online for a VDO ****pit style Temp guage too, I suppose I need to actually see it in front of me as I'm driving!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 13th 2007, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
What is the common way to hook up the thermoswitch for the radiator fans? I'm thinking at the inlet of the engine, so regardless, the fans are operating to keep the entering water at the right temp. I'll be able to set the fan start temp for whatever I want, so that's not really an issue. Jason

On the Eco, the switch was just prior the t-stat. What is the factory location? One caution, up high is good but not so high that if it ran a little low of coolant, you wouldnt know it was cooking. I went through a whole air pocket headache with mine in the factory spot because it was impossible to get bled past the t-stat.

If you havent already, look into the variable fan controllers. They usually include sender and ey'ting you need. What I thought was the shizz is the soft start and faster as you need it function. I never got around to upgrading to one. When my fans kicked on, it put a serious hurt on the electrics and made the Eco skip a beat. The soft start takes care of that.

Keep plugging away! I have to live vicariously through your project for the time being.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old October 13th 2007, 11:28

Have a look at factory fan switch positions, they are mostly half way down the radiator. If you have it in the top hose you run the risk of it coming on as soon as the engine is up to temperature, not when you need the extra cooling from the fans. IMO having the switch lower down, this temp will start to rise when the engine is running out of cool coolant which is when you want the fans on for the extra cooling...
Rich
Old October 24th 2007, 00:27

I'm having 034 build a harness for me, I think it actually uses the stock H2O temp sensor so that is taken care of, and then I can just set what temp I want it to come on at.

Pulled the motor and tranny out for the last time. Wanted to make sure everything inside the clutch was buttoned up OK, found that I had forgotten to tighten the bolts on the driver side CV!!! Double checking is a good idea apparently....

Welded up the gaping holes where I cut the frame horns off at the torsion tube. Engine back in then wait till new harness and throttle cable arrive from 034...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 27th 2007, 02:40

Ordered this sucker today:

Hargett Precision Throttle Pedal

I think it is an excellent product for the money. I was planning on just building one myself, but at the rate I've been going I figured I better not mess around!!! I think I'll be building the actual pedal surface myself though, so it's exactly what I want. Check out the shifters they have too, pretty gorgeous.

Just need to figure out how to connect this with the stock VW 1.8t throttle cable now, some sort of extension I guess...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; October 27th 2007 at 02:47.
Old October 27th 2007, 08:05

Is the 1.8 throttle push or pull? Can you run morse all the way with an adapter right at the throttle body?
I had to build a swing lever to convert mine from push to pull (buses are already that way but I had to reconfig most of it) and spent some time figuring out the geometry to get wot.
Are you sure you dont want to try DBW? Somebody needs to be a test case and tell me how hard it is.:devil:

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old October 27th 2007, 13:49

It's pull, I think it will be fairly easy and adjustable, but of course it's easy to say now!!!

DBW huh, sounds great!!! I gave that up so long ago, nobody makes big power using DBW it seems, plus its just another detail to keep me from getting done!!! I still have the pedal and throttle body if I feel like torturing myself though...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 27th 2007, 14:11

Ok, you got me. What is the prob with the drive by wire setup? Is it the delay? or the size of the TB? Why no big power?

I guess I just figured with it getting so common now, they would have kits developed for even doofuses like me. DBW for dummies.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old November 3rd 2007, 10:38

Dent,

Let us know how this works out. I'm sick of dicking around with the stock pedal trying to get WOT. Will you be using the stock brake/clutch pedal with this setup ?
Won't the original setup be 'in the way' of the new pedal ?

Panel,

Do you have any pics of the lever you created to increase the travel of the cable ?

Thanks,

Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
Ordered this sucker today:

Hargett Precision Throttle Pedal

I think it is an excellent product for the money. I was planning on just building one myself, but at the rate I've been going I figured I better not mess around!!! I think I'll be building the actual pedal surface myself though, so it's exactly what I want. Check out the shifters they have too, pretty gorgeous.

Just need to figure out how to connect this with the stock VW 1.8t throttle cable now, some sort of extension I guess...

Jason
Old November 4th 2007, 21:43

Well, it didn't actually work out so well. It turns out the quality control on the pedal's manufacturer has slipped way out of control. The breaks were not perpendicular, the hole tolerances were way off, there was 3/8ths of lateral slop at the pedal top. I emailed Mark Hargett and he agreed, so I'll be returning it. I think he designed it, but then has someone manufacture it for him. Sounds like he's going to be addressing the problems pronto., so it should be a good product again in the future. I'm going to return it, but not before I get all the dimensions down, modify it, and build one myself that works for the bug application. If I want then, I can buy his pedal covers, they do look pretty sweet. I'll copy that design if someone is interested.

Rob, if you go to the brake section, the thread "Let there be brakes", you'll see the pedal cluster I'm using.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 4th 2007, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic View Post
Ok, you got me. What is the prob with the drive by wire setup? Is it the delay? or the size of the TB? Why no big power?

I guess I just figured with it getting so common now, they would have kits developed for even doofuses like me. DBW for dummies.

Jeff-
They have stuff for 1.8t and 2.0t motors, but you have to keep everything stock, the speed sensors, ABS and all that stuff. It just makes it really hard to utilize it for custom applications like we have. I'm sure it will be there in the future, but the liability is probably just to high for the re-programmer to feel comfortable with. Remember the Audi 5000s?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 19th 2007, 15:54

Waiting on a custom wiring harness now from 034. He has all the info and apparently it's just a couple days from being done. Looking back it seems like I've been waiting for wiring harnesses for half of this build!!!

Got the shifter cables back in and the brackets aligned better. Hard to believe I first hooked up the cables 3+ years ago!!! Anyway, making the brackets strong, they were just tacked up before to make sure it would actually work, and partially removable, to remove the engine the bracket needs to be partially removed.

I'm off for 5 days after tomorrow, so I hope to get the fuel system purged and the wiring done, that is if the harness turns up... fingers crossed!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 19th 2007, 20:27

Both projects I've done that were EFI and needed custom harnesses, the harness took forever. Luckily there was always something that needed to be done in the meantime.
Keep after it!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old November 27th 2007, 19:51

They did a pretty nice job on the harness, all is covered with anti-chaffe sleeve, all the ends are OEM VW H20, except the O2 sensor, which I though was kind of weird that I have to cut and splice that on myself... It's all in now, have a bit more wiring, but...

I cranked it over a few times!!! So, that means my starter works, my bug ignition switch still works, and nothing is seized! I didn't expect anything to be seized, but it's always nice to be sure...

The oil has been added to the tranny, the tranny linkage is all finished and works pretty good, don't remember where reverse is...

Battery is in and hooked up, 4 ga wiring is done back to starter and alternator and to another fuse block that is related to all ancillaries.

Left to do before starting is a fuel system flush and fill up the tank, 2 more brackets for the radiator, fill cooling system, attach rad fans and add power, plug for second O2 bung, get and connect 2.5" silicon hose from IC to intake, finish pedal end throttle cable mount. Pretty short list compared to the years I've been working on this thing!!! That will get her running, then the list starts up again....

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old November 29th 2007, 18:58

The throttle pedal is finally done. I wound up using a stock MkII golf/jetta cable housing, but to get the length I need, used mountainbike cable housing and some cable I found that looks identical to the stock golf cable. What was cool is that the little ends that fit onto the mountainbike housing actually fit into the golf cable, so I have a flawless joint. Worked out really well. Pics to come.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run