GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 23rd 2004, 23:11

It maybe "bad" to lower a mcpherson struted car, and I may only get a 10% increase in springrate with Maxx struts, BUT I have no body roll (if I do I've never felt it). That 10% equals a lot on a car that only weights around 2000 lbs and most of the weight is in the back, any stiffer and your front wheels will bounce on every little bump on the road (very bad when in the corners). Take a small chance and go with a setup that someone on here recommends that works them and see if you like it then from there you can start to try different things. It doesn't take a lot to get a super to handle. As far sway bars go I have 7/8" in front and 3/4" in rear and that seems to be the magic number. Strut brace is a must too.
I can't put into words how my 1302 feels in the corners, it almost feels like a frontwheel drive car pulling me through the corners. I know ff cars suck in the corners but thats how it feels.
Also when you get the moulhouland super be prepared to replace just about ever part of the front suspension cause after 32 years the parts will be wore out. I like to use German parts whenever possible, much higher quality.

Nick
Old July 24th 2004, 01:07

So what's the difference between max sturts and kersher sturts (I read they are both the best you can buy?)

What works well with 944 rear arms? How do I install 944 stuff on my SB? Whole rear end? just replace arms and torson bars? Spring plates?

Are there other parts I should get while I'm at it that are 'better'? (like 968 arms, and a 944 torson bar, 993 spring plates?)
Old July 24th 2004, 02:17

Do a search on the kersher struts, from what I understand they have adjusable preload, and a different kind of spring rate(I think non progressive), and the height adjustment is threaded nut style. They are the best but they are not cheap, plus you'll have to add in shipping from Germany. The Maxx struts work just fine on a street car. You'll probally want the full 944 rear suspension like the one I have, maybe from a post 86 951 if your thinking about Brembo's. The 944/951 rear setup is the best I'm aware of. You'll want shocks to fit the rear control arms that you wind up using, the Koni yellows I want are $130 a peice so they'll have to wait. Kafer cup brace will make the rear more rigid and eliminate rear wheel hop. The how-to nitty gritty has been beaten to death on several previous posts, once again use the search function.

PS-doing all of these upgrades to a bug is advanced stuff, it would help a whole to get familiar with the stock setup then you'll have a lot more understanding of what/why your doing what your doing.
Old July 25th 2004, 02:25
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticle31
How did I get a + History added to the title of this thread?
I added it
Old July 25th 2004, 03:08

Why, what does the +history mean?

(I know I'm slow at swallowing things. I like to do every angle and have an annoying habit to rephrase a question later to see if I get a different responce )