GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 2nd 2007, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVW View Post
The good part about the mustang setup is that you don't need to know much about steering design because it has been perfected in the setup.
this is only true if you are using the mustang II sock width, ride height and everything.

I'm using mustangII spindles on my locost (lotus 7 replica) and after plugging the MII dimensions into a suspension analyser I came to the conclusion that there is a lot of room for improvement. In an unequal length non paralell A-arm suspeension, you want as minimal movement of the roll center as possible, first of all the MII roll center was a little higher than I liked, and second it was all over the map in bump and roll.

I've dialed it in for my setup, so I get less than .05 inches of movement in 2" bump or a 3 degree roll, with the roll center at 1" below ground level. My rear suspension is a little looser woth .08" of movement and a roll center of 2" above ground level.

Once I'm finished this project, I'm going to build a new pan for my beetle with A-arm suspension front and rear, I'm fairly sure it "can " be done without cutting the pan (at least in the front) but it would be easier, stronger and lighter to cut out the old and build an all new sub structure.

If I were to market a kit to replace the stock front end with a A-arm unit I'd make it a weld in, so the owner will have to take some responsibility for it.
Old April 4th 2007, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbug View Post
this is only true if you are using the mustang II sock width, ride height and everything.

I'm using mustangII spindles on my locost (lotus 7 replica) and after plugging the MII dimensions into a suspension analyser I came to the conclusion that there is a lot of room for improvement. In an unequal length non paralell A-arm suspeension, you want as minimal movement of the roll center as possible, first of all the MII roll center was a little higher than I liked, and second it was all over the map in bump and roll.

I've dialed it in for my setup, so I get less than .05 inches of movement in 2" bump or a 3 degree roll, with the roll center at 1" below ground level. My rear suspension is a little looser woth .08" of movement and a roll center of 2" above ground level.

Once I'm finished this project, I'm going to build a new pan for my beetle with A-arm suspension front and rear, I'm fairly sure it "can " be done without cutting the pan (at least in the front) but it would be easier, stronger and lighter to cut out the old and build an all new sub structure.

If I were to market a kit to replace the stock front end with a A-arm unit I'd make it a weld in, so the owner will have to take some responsibility for it.
Thank you Shadowbug, this is the kind of language that is spoken when you are deciding to build a suspension system, so if you don't know what he's talking about, you need to learn before you suggest that making a suspension system is easy. Shadowbug knows more than I do about suspension geometry because he's worked with it on a program and in the real world, I have not even done that, but I've read a lot about it and paid someone who DOES know what they are talking about to design mine. Any time small changes are made it has a ripple effect on the whole suspension system, and small changes make big differences at the wheel.

S-Bug, when you get to that point, give me a shout, I have many of the pan dimensions laid out perfectly, and the idea of a rear A-arm system has been very intriguing to me too. BTW, you're link no longer works, I'd love to see what you've been up to.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old April 5th 2007, 14:27

Rorty did your design didn't he?
He's well known in the Locost circles, he did a great design for and IRS for the locost. Mine was using a different donor, so design is quite different. Plus it looks as though his design is more of a cruiser, where mine is a little more of an aggressive autocross design.

When it comes time to do the beetle I'll definatly drop you a line, I'll probably use standard sheet metal for the pan halves, but center tunnel will be a triangulated tubular structure, so I can tie it directly to the front and rear pickup points.

as to my site, the link is fixed, but I haven't updated it for a while. Hopefully soon I'll get some pictures uploded of the locost build.
Old April 9th 2007, 13:37

I've been thinking...

to design a front suspension there are several "static" Measurements you need to start with.
ride height, roll center, track width and wheelbase
change any one of these and suspension design will not perform as it should.

so how do you design a universal "kit" that anyone can bolt onto the front end of their VW and expect it to perform, considering most will want to alter their ride height from stock, and there will be no set ride height that will make everyone happy.

I think I may have an idea that will allow at least some ride height options, without changing the suspension characteristics too much.
problem is, things start to get expensive.

how much would the average budget be for a kit like this?
a comparable Mustang II kit for a streetrod would be 3-4k

I personally wouldn't want to spend that much, how much would we be willing to spend?

also, Liability, insurance and safety approval costs money too, I'd hate to build a system, and get sued six months later by someone who couldn't bother to read instructions, or was abusing it beyond its designed tollerances.

I'd almost consider doing it, if it weren't for the leagal issues, or sell it as " for display purposes only," with no warranty expressed or implied.

and last issue, copy cats. a guy spends the time and money to design a system, and half a dozen others start building them with no R&D time, in direct competition.

I donno, there's a lot of desire out there for this sort of thing, but is there any money? only way to find out is to try.

Give me 6 months or so, I may have something scabbed together.
Old April 3rd 2008, 13:14

Just a little update, I've not had any issues whatsoever with the front suspension. I think I need a little more castor, it doesn't want to self-correct, but it works just fine. No squeaks, no loose feeling, might be a little overdamped right now and may need a little more travel than what I have set up for the "in the weeds" look that I love.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 7th 2008, 12:25

First Failure...

This morning on my wonderful driveway curb(it's more like a canal) I heard a pop and then my car just felt really low. Got to work, scraping on everything on the way, and found the main shock mount had failed where it welds to the tubing. The original design had a buttress here, but it was changed as part of the area interfered with the shock. Instead of just removing the offending area itthe whole buttress was removed. I thought it looked like a problem point, and sure enough it is. So, I'll probably just bandage it up and ad it to the "to change" list! This is a prime examply on why I havn't sold this suspension to anyone, R&D is an important part of equipment development. I'll get a pic of the actual break later.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 7th 2008, 13:22
Administrator

Thanks for the updates Jason !

Sandeep
Old May 7th 2008, 17:36

that is some bad luck jason , but i have every faith in your inginuity to overcome this minor setback and improve the original design
jon
zx7rr
Old May 7th 2008, 22:12

No, I didn't just let all the air out of my airbags, this is what it dropped to...

I wonder if the welding was done on both sides of each vertical component it might have been OK...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 8th 2008, 14:32
Administrator

The break looks pretty clean ... almost as if the welding had not been completed in this area ?

It looks like it could be fixed with no redesign .. just proper welding. ?

Sandeep
Old May 8th 2008, 18:29

It is a very clean break, but the design is wrong too. I think had it been TIGed on both sides it would have been OK, but it is still a weak spot, there needs to be an extension of the current bracket to cover the side of the square tubing, not just the top.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 8th 2008, 18:49

I think the new ride height looks KEWL!

I think something very similar happened to the rear of the bus but I never got a detailed descrip or any pics from the guy that broke it. Glad you are taking it in stride, really just a minor development hiccup, yes? No real damage to the car or you?

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old June 16th 2008, 03:14

Got her all fixed up a couple of weeks ago, but no GL forums!!!

Here's the welds, only about 30-50% welded through, so that was an issue, but really the design of the arm needed some help.

Here's the repair. The welds are pretty rough, I'm not that great a welder and it's MIG compaired to the old TIG, but I wager it will hang on a little better...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 21st 2009, 08:22

Volkdent have you made any progress on your wish bone set up? I'm currently looking into getting the red9 unit.
Old May 22nd 2009, 03:19

If by progress you mean usage, I have, but I havn't built V2.0 yet, I've got a 8 month old rug rat now so bug progress has slowed significantly.

I'm not so sure about the Red9 unit, a few iffy design flaws in my eyes, but you'll be money ahead on shipping!!! I'd talk to a few Red9 owners if you can to see how they are getting along before I'd purchase, just hate to see someone plunk down good money for something that looks cool but really doesn't function that well. It might be the dogs bollocks, I just havn't heard one way or another.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run