GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 22nd 2009, 07:12

I have read all of the posts about your design and whether or not the red9 kit is any good, unfortunately I have been unable to talk to anybody that owns one.

I think the cost and probably forum posts have put a lot of people off, BUT I have spoken to Simon at red9 and he seems to know his stuff. I'm going to see the unit in the flesh soon and hopefully have a test drive .

We will see I guess!
Old May 23rd 2009, 02:01

Please let us know what you find out.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old May 29th 2009, 06:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircool View Post
I have read all of the posts about your design and whether or not the red9 kit is any good, unfortunately I have been unable to talk to anybody that owns one.

I think the cost and probably forum posts have put a lot of people off, BUT I have spoken to Simon at red9 and he seems to know his stuff. I'm going to see the unit in the flesh soon and hopefully have a test drive .

We will see I guess!

Hey,

http://www.robinson-race-cars.co.uk/

Try talking to this guy and go and visit him, He's based in Basingstoke. I've been to his workshop and seen what he gets up to and its all very impressive.

Upon other things I approached him to build a wisebone front set up for my Type 3 and he wasn't fazed by the though of doing it (Unlike me ). He was very happy to talk about it and offered to do the work for me as he's been doing similiar work for over 30years now.

we didn't touch on what prices would be like, I know the price of the Red 9 one is very appealing, although unfortunatly like you I have only heard controversial things about it through the forums.

I hope this can help you to come to a conclusion

Old May 29th 2009, 07:08

If it can be built Andy Robinson can either do it or has already done it.
If it can't be built he probably doesn't believe it and will do it anyway...

Last edited by MdR; May 29th 2009 at 07:08. Reason: typong errar
Old May 29th 2009, 07:20

I do note that his race car prep is confined to drag racing so it might not be 'horses for courses'. I would not be at all confident about designing a drag car suspension but talk to me about highway (rough and smooth) and it will be a different matter.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:18

Cheers Kai4130 for the suggestion, dont doubt Andy Robinson could make one but I fear it would be £££££!

EvilC if you look on Andy's website there are a few customers cars which are not drag racers Jaguar sport for one, check out the XJR15

Luckily I have tracked down a couple of people who have experience of the Red9 kit, one was indifferent the other rated it highly. Luckily the guys that rated the kit are an outfit that set up suspension for track cars, notably Porsche track cars.

I will be getting one as soon as funds allow and I convince my girlfriend I REALLY do need it!!!
Old May 30th 2009, 17:32

I would be more excited if the builder did Lotus Super 7 style kit cars, I suspect the knowledge base there would be the most appropriate for the bug kit.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old June 1st 2009, 06:01

Quote:
Cheers Kai4130 for the suggestion, dont doubt Andy Robinson could make one but I fear it would be £££££!

EvilC if you look on Andy's website there are a few customers cars which are not drag racers Jaguar sport for one, check out the XJR15

.....................:
There are only 4 customer cars that are not drag racers. The overriding majority are strip cars. Of the four only the XJR15 and the Ligier have suspension components fabricated by ARRC and they are to preset designs and basic main production bits. The XJR15 is disappointingly low grade and not what you would have expected from a top grade GT style racer. ARRC's fabrication skills are not questioned but as a designer of suspension systems for turning corners I have even more doubts.
Old June 2nd 2009, 00:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
There are only 4 customer cars that are not drag racers. The overriding majority are strip cars. Of the four only the XJR15 and the Ligier have suspension components fabricated by ARRC and they are to preset designs and basic main production bits. The XJR15 is disappointingly low grade and not what you would have expected from a top grade GT style racer. ARRC's fabrication skills are not questioned but as a designer of suspension systems for turning corners I have even more doubts.
Thanks for that, it just reinforced my thoughts...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old June 2nd 2009, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
There are only 4 customer cars that are not drag racers. The overriding majority are strip cars.
As I said there were a few, sorry you didn't like what you saw.

I went to Stoner park at the weekend and met Simon from Red9, had a proper look at the wishbone front end. I am no expert but it is well made and the guy certainly talks a good game. It was also good to see how all the adjustments (there are quite a few!) are made.

Just so happened whilst I was there a customer who had been up for a test drive and put his money where his mouth is came over, he really rated it. It was nice to hear the opinions of someone who had experienced it first hand.

I think I am going to take the plunge and get one myself as soon as I can afford it, I'll let you know what the verdict is when I do.
Old June 2nd 2009, 15:56

Quote:
As I said there were a few, sorry you didn't like what you saw.

I went to Stoner park at the weekend and met Simon from Red9, had a proper look at the wishbone front end. I am no expert but it is well made and the guy certainly talks a good game. It was also good to see how all the adjustments (there are quite a few!) are made.

Just so happened whilst I was there a customer who had been up for a test drive and put his money where his mouth is came over, he really rated it. It was nice to hear the opinions of someone who had experienced it first hand.

I think I am going to take the plunge and get one myself as soon as I can afford it, I'll let you know what the verdict is when I do.
Sweet!!! Keep us posted.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old August 5th 2009, 14:00

WOW, Just found this...not bolt on, but they are working on a Type 1 version apparently. I suggested they make it bolt on, if you feel this might be up your alley let Kevin know.

Mendeola S2 Chassis

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; August 5th 2009 at 18:35.
Old August 5th 2009, 16:01

SWEET!
looks really nice...

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old August 6th 2009, 07:56

Now, that looks like a properly designed system!

My only observation is that the bottom of the coilovers looks vulnerable so its a track/smooth highway vehicle only. However, it ought not to be too difficult to move the whole unit up with shorter coil overs (if available) or even use a rocker and put the units inboard......... It could also do with some nice rose/heim/spherical joints to replace the squidgy poly bushes for some real control.

Clive
Old August 26th 2009, 14:11

UBR DUB saw its first autocross this weekend. She was a bit of a handful, as you can see LOTS of roll, plus without LSD, the inner rear wheel would spin really easily on exits. I'm going to bolt up the stock Golf II sway bar and see what that does, then go bigger from there, and finally add a front bar.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run