GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old March 1st 2004, 20:57

Gee, do I see a hint of yellow coming from inside those wheels?

I seem to remember a web site that had the degree change for which spline you move, I'll see if I can find it.
948 project
Old March 1st 2004, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelgesen
Gee, do I see a hint of yellow coming from inside those wheels?
nice, ain't they?

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old March 1st 2004, 21:07

Here are a few hints I found:

<<<<Here comes the real leap of faith. Let’s image you are at the driver’s side rear facing the spring plate. If we fix the outer spring plate on the outer end of the torsion bar and then move the torsion bar inner by one spline (in the counter-clockwise direction - moves the spring plate up and lowers the car), we will have changed the position of the spring plate (relative to the ground) by 9 degrees. Now if we fix the inner splines and now relocate the spring plate (in the opposite direction, clockwise - moves the spring plate down raising the car) we will be essentialy removing 8 degrees 10 minutes from the 9 degrees we advanced on the inner splines, thus resulting in a net 50 minute change in the spring plate position. Think about it, and reread this paragraph until you get it. Due to the 4-spline difference between the inner and outer splines of the torsion bar, adding then subracting these relative angles allow us to adjust the ride height to within fractions of an inch.

If you understand the meaning of the preceeding paragraph you are ready to index your own torsion bars. If you’re lost or confused at this point, get help. Your next question will probably be "But how much do I raise or lower the spring plate in order to get the ride height I’m looking for?" If you are not changing the torsion bars and you are starting from the factory torsion bar position (you did take notes when you took it apart didn’t you?), you can ‘estimate’ the ride height change (approx 6.5mm for a 50 minute change) by using basic priciples of geometry a the rules of the great queen SOH-CAH-TOA. If you are replacing the torsion bars with ones of different rates or did not note the location of the spring plate (dumb-dumb) before removing the torsion bar, the answer to this question, I’m sad to say is: "Trial and error my friend, trial and error." When I bought my new torsion bars, and dared ask this ‘stupid’ question, the customer service rep at Automotion gave me that answer. I thought he was nuts! He also told me it would probably take three tries to get right. I whimpered then cried. My better half Kristine smacked on the head and snapped me back to reality. "Thanks Kris, I needed that."
948 project
Old March 1st 2004, 21:14

Nothing wrong with the beetle torsion bars its just that the 944 ones are thicker and stiffer. I was just wondering.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old March 1st 2004, 22:24

if i am calculating that right, that means that each degree is 7.8mm. best guess is i need 1" on the right and 1.5" on the left (get the strange feeling i will be doing this a few times). SO, following the method above:

i need 25.4mm or 3.25 degrees on the right. that means four clicks CW on the inside and four on the outside CCW.

i need 38.1mm or 4.88 degrees on the left. that means six clicks inside and out.

does that sound right? am i even close? or am i over thinking this and i should just do a click or two on the outside?

Old March 1st 2004, 22:52

Zen please take measurments when you adjust your rear suspension. Measure the angle of spring plates so the rest of us have it a little easier.
Remember to measure the angle of your frame tunnel so you will know the spring plate angle in relation to the cars chassis.
Old March 3rd 2004, 01:00

well, just got the suspension back together. overshot the right side and WAY overshot the left. it is probably back at stock height. had that feeling, but whatcha gonna do. guess is should have known with as much as i had to do to compress the suspension on the left. did you know there is no great way to ask your wife to sit in the car because you need enough weight to compess the suspension so you can put it together? i ended up with her, a butcher block, and 5 gal gas can in there.

time to take it all back apart again and try to find a happy medium.

genius, measurements are pretty much impossible since i don't have the tools to do it. i'm guessing and it showed....

not sure what my next guess is going to be. probably one click back on the inside on the right and maybe two outside on the left. dunno.

Old March 3rd 2004, 03:05

Since you don't have a angle gauge could you measure the distance between the top of the spring plate and the bolt hole in the shock tower for a starting point.
Old March 3rd 2004, 14:46

Zen,

Look around the neighborhood and borrow a bigger wife from a neighbor...

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old March 3rd 2004, 21:15

well, left side is back on with a new setting. i took pics and measurements. the right side is another story. there is so much tension on the spring plate that i can not pry it away from the shock tower. 3 hours worth of effort and i have it just about flush with the lower stop. then i have to figure out how i am gracefully going to release the cargo straps and jack to let it down. i hate days like this. took the whole day off work to finish this thing up and spent most of it on one piece that still isn't any further.

Old March 3rd 2004, 21:28

I am going to assume that you don't have the special tool to release the tension on the spring plates. I used a chain to secure my floor jack to the chassis. Put the shock bolt through the chain and secure the chain around the base of the floor jack. The chain will keep the body from moving up. Use two flat head screwdrivers or pry bars to wiggle the front half of the spring plate out.
Old March 3rd 2004, 22:59

oh, been doing that. the little bastard just won't pry off. i ran out of juice. will be trying again tomorrow.

Old March 5th 2004, 14:21

Wish I could be there to help today, work sucks.

How's the list coming?
948 project
Old March 7th 2004, 23:03

well, well. where to start.

i had a bunch of the VKG guys come up on Friday with a huge helping hand to get my car together. what a great display of what a club is about and of friendship from friends and strangers. combined those guys gave me like 32 man hours in that one day. and we got it together enough that it was ready to roll. it was minus most of the fit and finish and some more desirable things (swaybars, passenger seat, pro alignment) but was good enough to get to Dyno Day.

got up saturday morning. did some systems checks and had to fix wipers and brake lights. all else looked good. then took it out for its maiden voyage. it was a light rain and wet everywhere which was a little scarey, but most checked out well. a little front heavy on the brakes in the rain (was better later in the dry). suspension was nice considering no swaybars.

then there is the engine...

Un-freakin'-believeable power

truly scarey kind of torque. i didn't want to work it too hard considering the wet roads and being cautious with all of the other systems. so i can only imagine what all it has in store.

just before getting to the event a lifter failed. mine was early in a batch that is since known to have some failures. this makes the third engine for jake alone and FAT has lost 7 i believe due to these lifters. it was just a long time before i had my engine installed.

jake was amazing (luckily he was at the Dyno Day). he immediately jumped on my car and was diagnosing. we dragged the car to a buddy's house nearby and pulled the engine and jake just took it home with him. raggs also lent me his truck and trailer to get my car home. you can't beat the people in this hobby.

jake is top notch and has truly shown and earned a great deal of respect. my engine will be back in shortly with a possible subtle change. we will see.

between no_h2o's car and mine, the GL definitely got some attention yesterday.

Old March 7th 2004, 23:28

Wow, good and tough luck in the same time. I'm sure Jake will have you up and running soon enough.

Pictures, we need pictures.
948 project