GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old February 23rd 2008, 01:18

Dennis,
I am very sorry to hear about your car, and as has been said several times, I am very glad that you were not more hurt.
I too remember that big smile on your face when you got the type IV....I went home after that show and told my wife I needed to get a bigger engine - thanks for your part in inspiring and motivating me.
Don't be a stranger, I always enjoy your posts and look forward to seeing you again.
Old March 2nd 2008, 12:34

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and kind words. It means a lot to me.

Sorry, no pics. The recap goes like this.

The 1302 was officially totaled. There was a dispute as to its value, and that has been the delay. The gnashing of teeth and rattling of swords was in its own way traumatic. I would give the details but I doubt it would relate to many of you so I'm not sure there would be great value in posting it. The Cliff Notes version is it had to do with adding my daughter to the overall policies, and the insurance company classifying her and reclassifying the car without my agreement. If it sounds like something that knowing the details would benefit you, shoot me a PM. I will respond next time I visit.

The insurance company finally agreed after one section talked with another section after conferring with my agent and "Team Six" who did the initial evaluation. I can only imagine what the poor folks of Katrina, Wilma and any other disaster must go through.

One strange quirk was not only did I get the as-stated value for which the car was insured -- as expected and as demanded -- but I also got an extra 6% on top of that because Maryland state tax was also added. I have no idea if that is a state law, an insurance law, or what ... but it was new to me.

I bought what's left of the car back; then sold it to my longtime mechanic. I don't really have the capacity to break down my car to keep/sell the useful stuff. I believe it was a fair deal for both of us.

I do have a collection of stuff that I had away from the car or I that I removed after it was towed. Some of it may apply to my next project. The only things I may repurchase back from my mechanic is the shifter and the Hella H4 headlights.

I still don't know what my next project will be. I had some things in mind before the Super went down for the count. A part of me thinks I may go in one of those directions and revisit a GL Super after that.

What it will probably come down to is I will see something that strikes my fancy which I can afford ... as if it found me rather than the other way around.

I will pop in from time to time, and I will be going to shows. Who knows? Maybe that is where the next car will find me. Again, I appreciate all of the support tossed my way. I hope to be able to give back again soon.

Best,
Dennis (oasis)
Old March 2nd 2008, 13:10

so sorry to hear the news. A good reminder for me to rethink my c/f decklid and how to secure it. I was going to use locking pins, but was hesitant for that very reason.

I'm glad your are safe. Just consider it an opportunity to start manifesting your next vision.

I'm interested in your shifter if you are looking to sell it. PM me.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old March 2nd 2008, 15:01

Wow Dennis, I'm glad you got the declared value from your insurance co (if I understood that right ). I solidly believe that most agents and adjusters have less integrity than a loan shark, or common thief when it comes to doing the right thing for their customers. They're trained to look out for the agency's bottom dollar foremost, and not let up, or give in to an owner's claim that the their vehicle is worth more than their info says it is, and often the only way to get what you're due is to involve state government to effectively go over the head of the adjuster or agent.

Although I wasn't dealing with my particular insurance company, but that of a man that caused the collision that stuffed a Geo Metro under the rear of my Z71 by way of his F-150's grill piece, I had it involve the NC insurance commissioner's office because the truck I had I knew was totaled. Bed, and cab corners crushed, bumper detached completely, chassis bent in 5 places with the hitch pointed to the ground, and the frame rails were off square.

Nationwide wanted to fix it for $5500, or give me the $ to fix it, both of which I refused. After a month and a half of phone arguments, and a call to the NCICO, they finally totaled it, and gave me $1000 less than it's book value, which was enough to make me satisfied after the #&!! that those screwballs put me through.
'83 928S 4.7
Old March 3rd 2008, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibone View Post
Wow Dennis, I'm glad you got the declared value from your insurance co (if I understood that right )...
Yes, that is correct. I have heard many horror stories; mine pales by comparison. First off, my agent had been working with my wife since before we ever met. He was in my corner all the way which helped.

Another thing that helped (I believe) is that I have all of my receipts for everything that was done. I told the adjuster not only did the insurance company have no right to change the status of my car with my consent, I was prepared to argue the car was worth more than the agreed-upon value of the car so even if the insurance company could convince a judge the car had changed status, I would be owed even more money, not less.

It was a headache but my story was relatively benign. The irony was the insurance company made its initial declaration thinking I was trying to job them.