GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 17th 2008, 03:48

Question - Rear coilovers - on a type 3...

As per my other thread (brake bias), I now finally have my Fastback on the road and got a few issues to iron out.

Suspension:-

I'm running coilovers (spax adjustables) from and rear with uniballs.

The ride quality is greatly improved over torsion bars, but I have driven about 200 miles now and have a bit of an issue....

The geometry of the suspension/steering has all been done (albeit by me!) with proper equipment and I'm quite happy it is correct.

When driving the car I get a bit of wander of a better word, I've messed with toe in front and rear, shock stiffness, removed anti-roll bars, but nothing improves the 'wander'.

Not describing it well I know! but I cannot think of anything else it may be. I am going to have it laser tracked to ensure my geometry is OK, but I have a theory......

The rear of a Type 3 (some of you may know!) is on a subframe bolted to the chassis via 5 rubber donut mounts/bolts. I am thinking it is flexing on these mounts and causing an 'articulation' of the rear end, as the coilovers are now supporting the weight of the car in a different place.

I've been waiting for this forum to get back online as this is the only place where my problem may be understood!

Thanks, Angelo