GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old November 15th 2010, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
That doesn;t mean I drive there as a pussy.
I love this thread, and I love the most recent account of driving at this world famous track. The above quote almost got me in trouble as I am not supposed to bust out laughing while at work. Everything here is grimly serious.

Great stuff as usual.
Old November 15th 2010, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
Looks like it was a great day. Any day you can drive the ring with an instructor and learn the track and your car is a good day.
+1

TSAF:

Oasis: sorry my language almost got you into trouble. I only just got it
Old November 16th 2010, 12:54

Great pics Wally! Sounds like a great experience! The ring is no playground - that´s for sure! Going through such as course is worth it and actively driving the proper line teaches you the track better than anything else.I went through a week of motorcycle race school in Willow Springs when I was stationed at Edwards AFB,CA. which is right next to Willow Springs basically.I learned more that week than all the years of experience before and after.Most accidents occur when people think they can "Vettel around around the ring" after a few sessions of Gran Turismo on the play station and end up killing themselves..Never lose respect no matter what track you´re on - I learned the hard way after crashing the bike at over 200km/h - luckily I didn´t break anything but my shoulder still gives me trouble every now and then.
Old November 17th 2010, 15:16

Maybe this could be of use/interest?
Although you probably don't want to switch your air-air intercooler for a water-air one and there isn't as much space available above the transmission compared to a 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeancarweb
The intercooler has been removed from the top of the engine, the factory location, and placed over the transmission to allow for maximum airflow through the Turbo decklid, and according to Schimmel it dramatically improves cooling performance within the forced induction system.
http://www.europeancarweb.com/featur...ochargers.html
Old November 17th 2010, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by $aint View Post
Maybe this could be of use/interest?
Although you probably don't want to switch your air-air intercooler for a water-air one and there isn't as much space available above the transmission compared to a 911
Did you know that the 9ff-boss changed the water-air chargecooler in favour of an air-air intercooler because...wait for it.... the air-air ones flowed and cooled better?
That was in one of his 1200hp record setting 911's

But really, I have no air intake temp problems or gains to be had in that department. IAT stays really low, even at 24psi boost ;-)
Old November 17th 2010, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Did you know that the 9ff-boss changed the water-air chargecooler in favour of an air-air intercooler because...wait for it.... the air-air ones flowed and cooled better?
That was in one of his 1200hp record setting 911's

But really, I have no air intake temp problems or gains to be had in that department. IAT stays really low, even at 24psi boost ;-)
Blue thunder explained it once as well, and air-air one is more efficient (for the same size/space) as a water-air one.

1.65 bar sounds good!
Old November 18th 2010, 14:43

They are really for two different kinds of situation. For hard driving on sustained boost an air/air would be better, for normal more varied driving a water/air would be better. The water has a MUCH higher conductivity and thermal capacity so it absorbs the peak temperatures much better, the only problem then is that you are then on to the next limiting factor which is the volume of water and how effectively you can cool that. Also there is the additional weight to factor in for the air/water system but it also has the benefits of generally having shorter pipework required so slightly better response.

At the end of the day all installations like ours are bespoke, as are the builder's requirements...

Wally has obviously got his to work well with short pipework so is definitely on to a winning solution!
Old November 18th 2010, 18:55

Hi

An advantage for drags etc with a air 2 water IC is that you can fit a ice box in the system to really take the heat out of the cooling water, not really practical on road car.

On a road car you cant stay on boost for very long until you have to back off, so a air 2 water IC will smooth out the spikes in intake temps, were Wallys air 2 air IC is a winner for him is that when the motor needs the cooler intake temps his car is usually travelling at constant high speeds with lots of air flow over the IC.

Steve
Old November 19th 2010, 04:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

An advantage for drags etc with a air 2 water IC is that you can fit a ice box in the system to really take the heat out of the cooling water, not really practical on road car.

On a road car you cant stay on boost for very long until you have to back off, so a air 2 water IC will smooth out the spikes in intake temps, were Wallys air 2 air IC is a winner for him is that when the motor needs the cooler intake temps his car is usually travelling at constant high speeds with lots of air flow over the IC.

Steve
Yeah, very true Steve, but probably because of the sheer size of my air-air intercooler, I even see intake temps going down the short runs of the 1/4 mile.
Right on the starting line, after waiting and idling in hot summer periods, temps do climb however, but the water/meth injection usually takes care of those elevated temps. Temps never got over 40-45 Celcius IAT after an hour or more of standing still, heatsoaking while waiting after hot 1/4 mile runs, (the worst possible conditions therefore).
The alternative of Armin Klein (horizontal air-air intercoolers inside the engine compartment with fans under both sides) is more subtle though and seems to work very well for him too
Old November 20th 2010, 16:14

I´m not really convinced that an air-air IC is more efficient than a water-air IC.Water combined with antifreeze or alcohol is a better cool medium by itself than air,especially if it is an independant system with its own cooler for the water.I´d like to see a comparison of the two on the same car with identical boost settings and then record the temp difference.The efficiency of an air-air IC is dependant on the surrounding atmospheric temperature more so than a water cooled IC.
Old November 23rd 2010, 18:46

I think this is the best pic from 12 november

Old November 24th 2010, 06:43

Ohhh nice pic!! Thanks - another one for my Wally folder! Professional,high quality pics as usual!
Old November 24th 2010, 19:38

haha you have a "Wally" folder too? Thought I was the only one :P
Old November 25th 2010, 04:28

LOL, yeah I´ve been following the developements of this car for quite a few years.It´s been really interesting to see the continuos changes and rise in power along with the setbacks. A real car story and a lot of things to talk about,I really enjoy the updates.Almost feel like a groupie..LOL
Old November 25th 2010, 05:24

Thanks guys, this thread here is also my own sort-of blog or diary so you will.