GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old November 25th 2010, 13:12

Hi,

I've just found this more complete post of yours (compared to the french german look forums) and I must say, I'm sooo impressed by the work done and the way the car looks... The only thing I don't adore on your car is the steering wheel... Otherwise, its just soo balanced and somehow discreet (by looks) for the power output...

Knowing my daily beetle is a convertible, I'm somehow limited in crazyness but I also own a 74 that could very well take a turn for the worst (best?) and become a race bug in the spirit of yours... Thanks for the temptation, I was going to rebuild it to factory specs and sell it... Now I'm not sure...

Good luck for the 450 HP target you must have somewhere in your mind...

Seb
Old November 25th 2010, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourtaud View Post
Hi,

I've just found this more complete post of yours (compared to the french german look forums) and I must say, I'm sooo impressed by the work done and the way the car looks... The only thing I don't adore on your car is the steering wheel...
Thanks Sebastian!
The steering wheel is somewhat of a poke to pre-'73 911 owners as its the exact model of a pre-73 911 wheel, but with a Wolfsburg logo in it
I had a GSR/late convertible steering wheel before and even that felt slightly better in your hands. So, I might just replace it some day, but not yet as this wheel kinda has grown on me

Glad if I just made you doubt selling your sedan bug. You know its a fun ride and can just go as cray as you want
Quote:
Good luck for the 450 HP target you must have somewhere in your mind...
Old November 26th 2010, 13:59

Started building the twin scroll header out of the exiting one:

Unfortunately 1 and 3 (and 2 and 4) are positioned not beside each other but diagonal (sp?) across... so the primaries have to be adapted some more.
Plenty to do before the new turbo is completely connected.
Old November 26th 2010, 20:47

Hi,

Is this an illusion from the picture or will this header never fit under the bodywork?

Seb
Old November 27th 2010, 05:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourtaud View Post
Hi,

Is this an illusion from the picture or will this header never fit under the bodywork?

Seb
-> Illusion: this header already did fit under there, I just cut it off behind the collector
My 'remodelling' might give a little more room too. Thats very welcome as it is very tight now (G50 gearbox made the engine go back ~3-4 (?) cm) indeed.

Older pic:
Old November 27th 2010, 10:16

I bet that was quite daunting chopping of the collector - the point of no return!

Could you do me a favour please - measure the ID of the single pipe coming from the collector. I need to order a cone to match my new silencers with that pipe and mine is currently wrapped in exhaust wrap as well as being covered with masking sheets as I am painting the engine lid hinge panel on my bus

Cheers
Paul
Old November 27th 2010, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_f View Post
I bet that was quite daunting chopping of the collector - the point of no return!
Indeed it was!
I have hesitated many times doing this and contemplating wheather it was possible to rearrange the entire primaries backwards coming together under the flywheel/tranny, but I think there is just too little room if you want to keep the underside of the car level with the T4 sump...

Pipe outer diameter is 42mm, wall is 1,5mm, inner is therefore 39mm and confirmed by measuring, although at the collector itself I measured 40mm ID.
Old November 27th 2010, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Indeed it was!
I have hesitated many times doing this and contemplating wheather it was possible to rearrange the entire primaries backwards coming together under the flywheel/tranny, but I think there is just too little room if you want to keep the underside of the car level with the T4 sump...
I agree, I don't think it would be possible to have them going backwards and stay level with the sump.

I'd like to cut and move slightly backwards the pipe that runs near the pulley as it is very close, but I think it will be quite difficult to do nicely without remaking that section.

Thanks for the measurement, though I wanted the one at the other end of the collector. I think it is 54mm OD but I am not certain.

Cheers
Paul
Old November 27th 2010, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_f View Post

I'd like to cut and move slightly backwards the pipe that runs near the pulley as it is very close, but I think it will be quite difficult to do nicely without remaking that section.
Problem with that part is that it is the 180 degree section that curves right behind the rear apron. If you move it further away from the pulley, it gets close to the apron... You may get away with that, but I have less room as you know
Quote:
Thanks for the measurement, though I wanted the one at the other end of the collector. I think it is 54mm OD but I am not certain.

Cheers
Paul
Sorry...but you're correct. That part is OD 54mm.
Old November 28th 2010, 12:06

Made some nice progress this weekend:

Trial fitting the too big of a turbo.
Looks like it might even sort-of fit Be aware that I have a bit more room there as my engine is moved a few cm further backards.
The 4" (!..) air inlet will however collide with the Cup strebe so will need to make s/th for that, for which I already have an idea

Old November 29th 2010, 04:42

Looks good Wally! I see space is now even more limited...
If you donīt need your BAS header,Iīll buy it from you Or did you cut it up to make this one?
Old November 29th 2010, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Or did you cut it up to make this one?
Yes, I hoped the pictured showed that..
Old November 29th 2010, 17:49

you will be punished by the aircooled gods for cutting up a BAS header like that! I hate you just a little right now :P
Old November 30th 2010, 04:50

Donīt worry,Wally knows what heīs doing...I think... Wally, are you going to have a collector before the turbo or will the pipes remain seperate up to the flange?
Old November 30th 2010, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Donīt worry,Wally knows what heīs doing...I think...
I dunno, but surely hope so
Quote:
Wally, are you going to have a collector before the turbo or will the pipes remain seperate up to the flange?
NOooo, with an additional collector before the turbo, I would totally KILL the twin-scroll principle/advantage/idea!!
So, the pipes will remain seperate. I just have to hammer them both into a rectangle at the end