GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old August 25th 2010, 17:44

Slow VW but still fun

I went to my first track day this past weekend at Thunderhill. For the longest time I was afraid of wheel to wheel at the car level even though I raced karts for a bit. I think a lot of it has to do with visibility which is very limited in a car versus a kart. Once on the track however, it was a total non-issue.

I took my 83 gti out to Thunderhill and had a blast. I was by far the slowest car out there but I wasn't the slowest driver I did manage to get some video of 3 sessions from the weekend which is proof I actually passed people. One thing I did notice, is that I didn't get any kind of adrenaline rush, not even a little. It felt like my drive home (same speed, a lot less corners) and I averaged 66-67mph with a top speed around 75-80mph. I'm trying my damnedest to get the race bug out to infineon at the end of sept.

http://vimeo.com/14394264
http://vimeo.com/14397257
http://vimeo.com/14397309
Old August 25th 2010, 18:58

Great track to have a first experience on much safer than most. Who were you there with? What was the video shot with? The quality is great.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S

Last edited by volkdent; August 25th 2010 at 20:06.
Old August 25th 2010, 19:49

I went with NASA and it was during a race weekend with PRC, Time Trials, and many others. It was great seeing the scheduling happen like clock work despite the inevitable accident or fire.
Old August 25th 2010, 19:50

Humble, so jealous of you..

I have had to sit out this year and got only 2 days last year.. so I have been itching to go back.. The only cure I have had is 2 days Karting, and a few days with the my son on a amusepark type go-karts..

I liked the clearness of the video, what camera are you running.. the wind noise was not to bad either..

I just saw the first video, but not having run the track, don't know the line.. but it looked like you were turning a bit early on some corners.. mid corner seemed like you rolled on the throttle smoothly, but having either turned in a bit early or not turned in enough the early rolling of the throttle was pushing you out wide.. the result of the early turn in and the nature of the front wheel drive.. (again this could be camera angle, so please don't take it as distructive critisism)

Having spent a few summers behind the wheel of a SHO, and the dynamics of that thing are different that the VW, but is still much different to an AWD, front engine rear wheel drive or rear engine/rear wheel.. sometimes you need to feather that throttle mid corner so you don't start to push too hard (I assume no limited slip) and keep the weight shifting off the front tires too not over drive them.. Looks like you were quite smooth, and having a great time..

I know your not new to racing, if I have a tip or reminder for a road course, keep looking far ahead, and do as you haved been doing which is being smooth.. your gearshifts sounded great.. and as you mentioned you were not the slowest, but some of the folks in your run group need to give point byes or give better point byes (pretty sloppy if you ask me, and unsafe)..

Again, looks like a great time, and I hope to be back, maybe in an E30 or something.. but I need to get out west, as the east coast courses are much different in scenery, very dry and relatively flatter than say Watkins Glen.. but quite technical.

VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old August 27th 2010, 13:15

hmm... my replies seem to be dropping :P

At any rate, I was with NASA on this outing which was shared with an actual race weekend for my groups. It was nice seeing how everything unfolds and the different levels of track driving. I was in group 1-2 (started in 1 tossed into group 2 after a day) I rode with a friend in group 3 and rode with my instructor in group 4. I think I want to do one or two more events in group 2 then hang out in group 3 for a while. The goal is to get my competition license next year.

I shot the video with a gopro hd which has been the best camera i've used to date. I'll probably get another one for a multi camera setup.