GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old May 16th 2009, 09:22

Hi Wally

Looking good.

A few people I know ran boost boxes and things didn't work as well as would be expected, the extra volume slowed reaction to everything connected to it.

Where do you take your signal for your wastegate from? Been told by serious turbo tuners to take it after the throttle plate, that way it reacts to actual motor pressure not the pressure in the between the turbo & throttle plate.
Old May 16th 2009, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi Wally

Looking good.

A few people I know ran boost boxes and things didn't work as well as would be expected, the extra volume slowed reaction to everything connected to it.
Well, I sure don't hope so; this seemed like the proper way to do it...
Quote:
Where do you take your signal for your wastegate from? Been told by serious turbo tuners to take it after the throttle plate, that way it reacts to actual motor pressure not the pressure in the between the turbo & throttle plate.
I use the original pipe on the turbo itself for this. OEM its connected like this as well with the original internal waste-gate close by. Why would OEM do it that way if its better to connect WG under the throttle plate?
I would be happy to redirect, but its the first time I learn of this.

Thanks Steve,
Walter
Old May 16th 2009, 11:41

Wally, ever try a solid center clutch disk?

Pete
Old May 16th 2009, 12:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevw View Post
Wally, ever try a solid center clutch disk?

Pete
Nope, not even ever any semi-metallic pad...
Old May 18th 2009, 16:39

While waiting for the disk to arrive, I cut some polycarbonate ('lexan') sheets for the side windows.
I thought they were lighter than the 1,5kg I saved per side window (2,45 to 0,95kg), but its weight up high, so it will benefit more in the corners I suppose.

Old May 21st 2009, 10:50

As the 6-puck has not arrived yet and I need to run on sunday, I have reinstalled the old organic disk. Flywheel has been resurfaced and machined down so the pressure plate now has some more pre-load. Fingers are now perfectly horizontal. This should give some better holding power by itself and it did
Boost has again been tuned to 14.5 psi and oh boy what a rush once 3000 rpm gets passed

From the datalog I could see that at about 2850 rpm there is 0.5 bar or 7 psi boost and at 3500 rpm the full 14.5 psi is reached. The engine easily runs up towards 7000 rpm, but I want to stay before that for a little bit longer as I am not sure where max hp will be.
Coming saturday there is a local mobile rolling road dyno (more or less just across the street for me) so I will try to enter the car there.

I only ran the full boost in 2nd and 3rd as to not risk a premature clutch burn-out but that went well. So fingers crossed for saturday when the dyno run will be done in 4th.

Very curieus what it will get, providing the clutch holds .