GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old December 18th 2004, 12:51

Unhappy +3cm on the left and +5 on the right ???

hi,
ok, I`ve got 1303 (1974), kerscher coil-overs, 944n/a front brake setup and Cup2 7" et55 alloys.... it all looks awesome... but only on paper. Problems occured when I started putting all this together. Everything fits fine... but... drivers side wheel sits +3cm from the fender edge and on pasanger side wheel sticks out +5cm .... ??? well can any one tell me whats going on? is it possible to adjust this difference? if so - how?

I`ve just left the garage after 2 hours spent under the car measuring all the distances on both sides of the car and everything seems ok... please help !!!!

I can send some pictures if it helps to understand the problem (I know that my english is lame

thanks
kunicki
Old December 18th 2004, 18:15

Have you thought about the fenders being miss shaped or not the same?
It would be easy for a beetle fender to look right and still be a few Millimeters off from one side to the other.
This could be the case, and if it is. it might just be as easy as bending on of the fenders out or in to make them even (just a little, as you dont want to tweek them) If they are already painted (for the final time) i would not recomend bending the fenders much at all, if any. In doing so it would be easy to crack the paint along the fender lip.

Maybe measure from a fixed point on the body (not fender) out the the fender lip to see if one fender is different. Assuming all the fenders are bolted up tight and not loose.

Later,
Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old December 18th 2004, 18:30

this does seem very odd, but it is probably the fenders....

btw, can you tell me why your setup is sticking out past the fenders so much?

With 17 x 7 et 55 wheels, should they be under the fender lip and not sticking out past the fender lip?

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old December 19th 2004, 04:26

you`re right... wheels should be under the fender... but they aren`t ... tyres are 205/45 and the distance between kerscher strunt and edge of a tyre is about 2-2,5cm... is it correct? can any one measure that distance? everything is bolted tight... I will post some pict today, on monday I will order fibreglass +4 fenders...

thanks for help
kunicki
Old December 19th 2004, 04:37
Administrator

This is not odd at all. The VW jig was not that great on the Super(1302/1303) Pan. My 72 is the same way, Rt. side wheel sits a little farther out than the Lt., not alot but it does. I have talked to many people that say the same thing. The Sandard Bug had some off measurements too. I don't think that they located the control arm mouting bracket on the pan with much precision. After all it was a cheap economy car.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old December 19th 2004, 16:01

Hello kuna,
you might check the following: in your setup with the two bolts strut (74) you can adjust the camber on the wheels by two ways, by the upper bolt of the strut or from the inner bolt of the control arm. If you fixed all the bolts (without noticing the siting point of the inner control arm bolts) and then you went to someone for an alignment, more likely for him to have set it up via the upper bolt of the strut (easier). So the wheels will not be at a simetrical distance in reference with the longitudinal axis of the car and this might be the problem. Sorry for my english, I hope you catch the point

JIMP
Old December 21st 2004, 05:23

Yours on the front, mine at the rear! The left wheel sticks out about 7-10m more than the right! I've changed it to 944t alu arms and they are still the same. Just have to mod the fender.
Old December 21st 2004, 09:21

my first car, a '59 was the same way. left stuck out probably 15mm or more than the right. was really annoying. you could always use a spacer to balance the width, but if they are sticking out of your fender already, that is not going to help.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 27th 2004, 18:34

Exclamation

I can't help with the wheel question but PLEASE don't apologise for your English.
I'm English born & bred. Can I speak your language? No!
The day I can speak Polish or Greek THEN you should feel embarrassed I am humbled
Bloody Well Done. :agree:
Old December 28th 2004, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdR
I can't help with the wheel question but PLEASE don't apologise for your English.
I'm English born & bred. Can I speak your language? No!
The day I can speak Polish or Greek THEN you should feel embarrassed I am humbled
Bloody Well Done. :agree:

Funny you should say that because when I read "I can send some pictures if it helps to understand the problem (I know that my english is lame" I had to re-read it to try and find any mistakes.....I couldn't.

Rob.
Old December 29th 2004, 13:28

Hello Kuna,

I have almost the same kit as you, though I'm using '86 944T stub-axles, 215/40ZR17 and my Cup2's are the MM 7.5et52 which should give you 3mm more clearance on the inside and your outer rim should be nearly 10mm further under the wheel arch than mine. Incedently, I measure the same 2-2.5cm between the spring and my inner rims with camber set at -1.5*..

I'm surprised you have such little clearance between the coil spring (80mm?) and the tyre if your wheels are sticking out beyond the fender edge.

As JIMP mentions there is an eccentric bolt on the inner end of the track control arm and also on stub-axle/strut clamp. These both affect wheel camber, but also allow a small (5-10mm each side) adjustment of track width irrespective of camber. Which helps when trying to fit huge wheels under stock fenders

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BalaLake2.jpg (78.3 KB, 54 views)
Old January 1st 2005, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKab
As JIMP mentions there is an eccentric bolt on the inner end of the track control arm and also on stub-axle/strut clamp. These both affect wheel camber, but also allow a small (5-10mm each side) adjustment of track width irrespective of camber. Which helps when trying to fit huge wheels under stock fenders

Matt
Yeah, I use that 'trick' as well; otherwise my right wheel would be slightly more inward (1 or 2 cm) than the right one.
It also helps that I use early Golf I struts (with beetle perches) which have an additional eccentric bolt on the lower strut mounts (the upper one is eccentric).

Lake Bala: Haha, its just an excuse for a picture of your (very nice!) 03

Best regards,
Walter
Old January 1st 2005, 15:52

Absolutely

Thanks Wally, happy newyear

Matt
Old January 2nd 2005, 06:21

Thanks for help...
MattKabs idea is working ... everythyng looks much better now.

Finaly I made some photos ... maby you won`t be able to see my problem because I`ve removed front fenders, but I had to post them... because... you now... just to show everyone a piece of my work

thanks once again
and a happy newyear everyone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM2820.jpg (55.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2821.jpg (51.6 KB, 44 views)