GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 23rd 2002, 12:18

sandeep, based on what you see and know, will bellcrank linkage work with the FAT shroud? looks pretty tight. looks like i have a trade for some manifolds and they are the tall ones. so clearance will be better for the linkage there.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 23rd 2002, 17:38
Administrator

Linkage

Zen,

There will be room for the bell crank linkage. My kit came with the hex linkage so thats what I'm using. Don't want to go through the hassle of selling this one and then getting the Bell Crank.

Sandeep
Old December 23rd 2002, 18:55

cool. i think i will probably go that direction. my shroud came in today. got my heads off finally. time to do some work on them (like get the #1 cylinder detached from the right head).

and we're off....

Old December 24th 2002, 12:37

Thumbs up

Looking good, great pics. When yoiu get your exhaust installed could you snap a pic, curious to see how much of the header and exhaust will be seen below the apron.
Looks like the shroud was a easy install, sure do like the look. Will you staill have to notch out the deck lid to have clearance?

Good luck with the project, keep posting and have a great holiday. Darren
Old December 24th 2002, 13:05

dipstick

btw sandeep, do you know what you are doing with the dipstick tube yet? when i was over at jake's place last weekend, he was showing me a FAT setup he is doing where he was using a pushrod tube for the new dipstick tube. i haven't tried it yet myself.

Old December 24th 2002, 13:31
Administrator

Dipstick tube

Zen,

When the fan gets here, I will install it and see what I need to do to the tube. I think I will gently bend it so the fan fits and then use an automatic tranny dipstick (GM car ?) cut to fit because it is flexible.

Sandeep
Old December 24th 2002, 13:33

Zen, that was actually chromoly pushrod material, for it to work the case needs to be drilled with a letter "S" bit, not advisable if the engine is already together.
Old January 9th 2003, 03:50

Hello. Sandeep, have you purchased or located your fan ring/fan/alternator set up yet?. I'll be purchasing a Fat system for my 2.6 ltr. ; I have a late model bug decklid on my 71 super beetle, so I hope that it will fit properly as in the first pictures posted on this topic.
I called Greg at Fat regarding this shroud set up. I asked which fan I would need for this shroud. He told me that any 911 fan assembly exept the 3.6 ltr. would fit. Do you know what the diameter/size would be for the correct fan??. He also said that the fan required should not have the curved fan blades. If you happen to know what part #'s would work, I would appreciate that a lot. I will probably try to source my fan set up from wrecking yards in Los Angeles.
Please keep us posted with your project. It looks really nice. I can't wait to get my shroud.

Take care,

Eddie.

www.germandreams.com
Old January 9th 2003, 10:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandeep
The fan # is 901 106 101 5R.

Not sure if it is 240mm or 260mm but this is the one that fits. I'll post pics as soon as the fan assembly gets here.

Sandeep
here is the info from earlier in the thread. more info there too. check page 4.

Old January 9th 2003, 11:52

If I am not mistaken, that ring shroud number corresponds to the larger diamter 260-mm fan. I do not have my information with me but I can tell you that the smaller 245-mm waqs not as widely used and was used a great deal with the racing powerplants. If you place the fans next to each other for comparison, the difference would greatly and easily be evident since the hub sections are identical and the 245 fan blades do not extend radially as much as the 260 blades. I'll see if I can post some information later. What is required by some of these kits is to machine the outer diameter of these rings. An already weakened and possibly fractured ring will fail structurally if this is done since some of the ribbing structural details casted around the perimeter of the ring are removed and the sections are thinned as a result. If you are going this route it's ok as long as you get a good ring and try to get it NDT'd (Non-Destructive Testing) to ensure it is good. I have several rings at home, let me know if you need any measurements compared to part numbers. Good luck!:haveadrin
Old January 9th 2003, 11:58

BTW, the later 3.6 12-blade fans, even thought the bottom ring profile is the same as the previous, will not fit since the assembly is much deeper and the alternator and fan spin independently via a shared axis and double pulley system (with different pulley ratios). The crank also has two pulleys of different diameters. the rear of the assembly incorporates an additional small fan to cool the alterantor inners. If you are creative, you can make part of it work--I am doing that currently with one of these assemblies (It is a pain in the a** :silly: :takethat:
Old January 9th 2003, 12:45
Administrator

Porsche fan

I just had the fan/alt/ring shipped late last week. I hope it will be here within the next few days. I'll post pics as soon as I get it out of the box and on the engine !

I also ordered my oil cooler setup... 96 plate Mesa with fan & 180deg switch, 180 deg oil thermostat and plumbing.

I'm working on ducting right now because I don't want 180deg air blowing around the engine ... going with NACA ducts and a box for the cooler and then ducting to take the heat away from the engine. I'm working on making it look trick, and like something you would find on a race car.

Zen,

You beat me to the BAS... I guess you bought it in between my first and second email to the seller ! :reallysad

Looks like you'll be doing a tech article on the install ! :hehehe:

Sandeep
Old January 9th 2003, 15:23

Re: Porsche fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandeep
Zen,

You beat me to the BAS... I guess you bought it in between my first and second email to the seller ! :reallysad

Looks like you'll be doing a tech article on the install ! :hehehe:

Sandeep
doh. looks like i may have stepped on two toes there (you and vujade). sorry. i was buying this week anyway, saw the post and hit him with an email.

i am having my fan powdercoated this week. i will send some pics as i get them. i am going gloss black. this guy is top notch if anyone needs a referal. he is the guy that jake is using for his stuff.

looks like i am heading over to pillow's this weekend and chigger is coming over from NC. i am bringing my longblock over to finish it up. just need linkage now.

Old January 9th 2003, 23:42

Thanks for the replies!. I began searching for my fan set up. Hopefully I won't break the bank. As far as my oil cooling set up goes, I plan on running a front mounted oil cooler ( RX-7 or Mercedes). I plan on using the A/C condenser housing installed by the dealer. It uses two pulling fans. I plan on doing a similar set up as yourself Sandeep. It'll use a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate adapter, and a thermostatically controlled fan switch. I'm not sure if it should turn the fans on @ 210 deg. or 180 deg...
Anyways, I should be ordering the shroud pretty soon. Hope to see some more pics from you guys soon.

Thanks,

Eddie.
Old January 15th 2003, 16:03
Administrator

Question Thermocouple placement

OK,

I'm wiring up my gauges this weekend (VDO oil P&T and CHT and proper senders).

The CHT thermocouple mounts under the spark plug. I'm going to mount it under #4 plug because the concensus is that 911 cooling pushes more air to the back of the shroud than the front, so the front pair of cylinders (rear of car) should run hotter.

I will then get some temp readings ... and then transfer the thermocouple to #3 spark plug to get a comparison.

Anything else that should be done ? Consider this an experiment with results that will be shared here for everyone.

Sandeep