GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old November 28th 2002, 12:13

Advice from you hip cats.

Hey guys,

First time poster here so go easy on the flames if I sound like an idiot. Found your site through Jake's site and thus far I like what I see. I have to say that the Foums look clean and almost everyone here is respectful and likes to help out.

I got a dream in my head about building a Speedster. Trouble is, I have never done such a thing and know very little about it, so, here I am asking away for your advice, comments and general know how.

Bodies, do I make one from scratch, or buy one from an established house? I like the looks of the flared out Speedster, but there is something to be said about the classic lines of the '57. What do you all think?

Has anyone here made a body from scratch, or used an aftermarket fiberglass shop to get one? Which would you recommend, and which would you steer clear of. Any advice that you would like to share, I'd be willing to listen.

Thanks and for all the U.S. folks, Happy Thanksgiving!
Old November 28th 2002, 13:29

There are so many manufacturers that you'd have to be mad to try and make your own body from scratch!
Try the manufacturers section of www.speedsterowners.com
I prefer the standard body, more enduring looks. I just beefed up the looks of mine with bigger allows and as wide a track as the body allows.

Rich
This is mine:
Old November 28th 2002, 22:31

friends of mine make Speedsters, they are fantastic looking cars available as kits or turn keys and with the exchange like it is great value. check them out on platinumspeedsters.com
Old November 29th 2002, 16:49

Thank you both, very tight!

Yo Ric and Vert,

Thanks for the heads up on the Speedsters, it's bringing me closer. Ricola, man you did your Speedster up right, looks super fine man. Vert, I went over to the Kiwi link you sent, seems that Platinum has hands down about the safest body configuration as far as showing you what is under the glass.

I liked the fact that they hung stuff from the frame versus just letting the body take all the stress. Like they mentioned, there ain't nothing like having a brand new car with stress fractures in it AFTER she's all painted and looking pretty.

Two things, cash and time? Ain't that the poor mans delema, right. Big dreams, but I gotta hope. Far as making one of these here beauties, it is going to take lots of both of those things I mentioned. Still, I gotta try.

Ricola bro, lemme ask you this, I am 6' 2", will I have a comfort issue trying to drive a Speedster? I mean, that would be a major promblem ya dig? I know a little off the topic, sorry Alex, I'll try to stay on point from now on.

Oh and Vert, Ric, I did a search of Speedsters and you guys seem to be spot on with helping others and the technical input, good show. Thanks for a heads up here on my thread.

Charlie